Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Mindlessly Stupid Things People Said In Full Confidence


People say stupid junk all the time, and that's fine. What makes it even more rough is when someone says something totally wrong while trying to explain a topic or make an argument. That's the hardcore dumb. For more musings of the stupidly overconfident, here are some untrue "facts" people were told in complete seriousness.

1.

Text - Equal-Self 824 points · 13 hours ago When you drill a hole, you need to place your hand behind the spot where you're drilling. He said It'll make it easier to drill. I really didn't want to add a hole to my hand.

2.

Text - TexJester 30.3k points · 15 hours ago · edited 12 hours ago G2 2 4 & 15 More That she could never use a sperm donor to have a kid..because she wasn't 100% sure that the baby/child would speak English..

3.

Text - the_one_true_bool 32.8k points · 19 hours ago A distant cousin, who has long been a complete dumbass, once told me that whatever direction she is facing is north. It came up when I was on the phone giving someone directions and she was nearby. I said something like "go north on (x) street, then take a left on (y), etc". She overheard me and said that I didn't make any sense because whatever direction you're facing is north, so north changes depending on which way you are facing. I said "n

4.

Text - psychiatricpenguin 25.0k points · 19 hours ago 32 8 3 A "you should try to incorporate cinnamon and apple cider vinegar into your diet, then you can get off the insulin and use more natural products to control your blood sugar" I'm a type 1 diabetic

5.

Text - Notmiefault 23.6k points · 19 hours ago You shouldn't wear a seatbelt because, in the event of a crash, you're better off being thrown out of the car than being trapped in it.

6.

Text - justura_verage 23.3k points · 18 hours ago edited 18 hours ago "You're not asian you're chinese"

7.

Text - MostlySpiders 22.4k points · 16 hours ago 32 E 3 I used to work in a lab where origami was a edited 2 hours ago 2 pretty big thing, so there were origami figurines all over the place. Some guy comes to visit and comments on the figures and says "Those are nice, what are they called? Macramé?" I said "They're origami." He responded, "I'm pretty sure it's macramé. I'm usually right about this sort of thing." I'm usually right about this sort of thing!

8.

Text - kira82 20.1k points · 18 hours ago 94 3 E 3 "I wish there was a window in between us so I didn't have to look at you."

9.

Text - ZeldaFan812 19.6k points · 19 hours ago "The Greeks didn't have metal." in

10.

Text - ronadian 19.3k points · 18 hours ago · edited 8 hours ago "How can it be 9 AM here (Toronto) and 6 AM in Vancouver, at the same time?" - a work colleague, years ago. I tried to explain it but it didn't work.

11.

Text - shartnado3 18.2k points · 17 hours ago Space was created by Disney to further the hoax of space/earth being round. He was dead serious, and he quoted "his own brain after much research" as his source. I wish I was kidding.

12.

Text - Createdbjm 18.0k points · 20 hours ago My front desk gym rep... "I gave them a 1 week free gym membership"... "March 27th to March 35th".

13.

Text - nprasdlingpar 16.3k points · 19 hours ago edited 1 hour ago They laid their jacket right beside a stove. "Don't worry it's waterproof."

14.

Text - WhyLater 15.8k points · 16 hours ago 25 3 2 "Oh, I don't believe in electrons."

15.

Text - discosaurus_rex04 14.7k points · 18 hours ago I had a roommate in college who visited Spain and thought that it was hilarious that people there commented on his accent. Per him: "I don't have an accent. I'm an American." Tom, you're one of the reasons that people think that we're all stupid. In a similar vein, a friend of mine in college had a boyfriend from the UK. You would not believe how many people asked him how he was able to speak English so well. It was horrifying.

16.

Text - Ochoytnik 14.5k points · 15 hours ago 3 7e2 32 8 3 If you ever fall out of a plane without a parachute you should grab onto the ground when you hit it so that you don't bounce because that is the bounce that kills you not the first impact. He swore that it was true and that a skydiving instructor had told him.

17.

Text - LittleMsSparkles 13.7k points · 16 hours ago When I was moving to Hawaii I had a friend ask if they had cars/roads there. She believed they got around using tiny boats.

18.

Text - rrl 13.6k points 18 hours ago 1/4 is greater than 1/2 rakedully 7.9k points · 16 hours ago edited 11 hours ago A&w actually tried doing a 1/3 pounder to duel with McDonald's 1/4 pounder and failed because most Americans thought a 1/3 was less than 1/4

19.

Text - blackeyedtiger 10.7k points · 19 hours ago "Canada is part of the United States," my Canadian friend told me once Birdgang_Truzz 5.0k points · 18 hours ago Legit I think some people confuse North America with United States of America. Not saying it isnt outrageous, but at least I get how it happens.

20.

Text - BehavioralWaffle 10.2k points · 16 hours ago Was talking with a few friends and one of them got on the topic of going to a gynecologist appointment and said, "Well, while he's down there, he might as well do a prostate exam." Chaos ensued when she refused to believe that women didn't have a prostate.

21.

Text - jedimindfulnesstrick 10.1k points · 19 hours ago E "You're blind, so you don't need to wear a mask". Uhhh... w...?

22.

Text - indianayall 9.1k points · 19 hours ago I worked at CVS and this woman was buying a 6 pack of Smart Water. She asked me if it would make her smarter and when I said no she asked to speak with a manager?

23.

Text - edenmay163 8.1k points · 16 hours ago When i was in Grade 10 of high school (In the US, so we were 15/16 year olds) a guy in my class argued with me because he was insistent that the penis has a bone, because, and i quote, "Why else would it be called a boner?"

24.

Text - BigBossHonchoPizza 6.1k points · 20 hours ago people in high school didn't believe me when I told them that English came from England and was indigenous to England similarly, for some reason, someone in college insisted that English was indigenous to America

25.

Text - SC2sam 5.6k points · 19 hours ago a My SSgt while I was on active duty fairly new to the base said straight up "why are you always trying to learn all the time, just stop it it's stupid". He didn't like it that I asked questions about wtf I was doing and why I was doing it. How else was I supposed to know how to do my job?

26.

Text - -LittleMissSunshine 5.4k points · 20 hours ago "You sound very controlling from the way you asked me 'excuse me where is the toilet?' " that ridiculous woman was my supervisor. All I did is minding my own business.

27.

Text - VastContribution5131 4.5k points · 16 hours ago My brother in law said that black people have 6 toes. I'm black and said that isn't true. We actually argued over it.

28.

Text - RyanPelley 4.4k points · 16 hours ago My dad's story. A co-worker told my father that you should always bring someone with you in the operating room when you're having surgery or else the doctor will molest you. I mean, I'm sure it's happened but apparently the guy was 100% convinced that every doctor would do it.

29.

Text - AldoTheApache45 4.2k points · 16 hours ago S There was a guy I knew from the UAE in college with me. We were talking about track and field for some reason and he blurts out “Ya, women shouldn't be running so fast because their ovaries will burst". He was absolutely serious and insisted this is a well known fact taught in High School biology.

30.

Text - P3r3grinus 3.1k points · 20 hours ago 3 8 "Wow, that's a big jar of perfume. That will last me for at least until there's no more left!"

31.

Text - freecain 3.1k points · 19 hours ago "Waterboarding isn't that bad. It's just where they drip water on your head."

32.

Text - WitchiePrincess 2.0k points · 12 hours ago - edited 7 hours ago Coworker of mine after i they find out im colourblind: "So you cant see this?" /is holding a red tray we used to carry orders out "I mean yea, but-" "WAIT YOU CAN SEE THE TRAY?!?!?!?" /confused for a moment Did you think i couldnt see the object because it's red?!" "Well duh, if you're colourblind you cant see things that are that colour, right?" "They aren't invisible to me you dumbass, i just cant properly tell what colour

33.

Text - Birdapotamus 1.8k points · 19 hours ago My friends wife believed me when I told her La Quinta means "behind Denny's". He told me later she argued with her sister about it.

34.

Text - tequilitas 1.7k points · 15 hours ago The sun is made of gold. We debated for hours, he still refused to believe it was not.

35.

Text - hoboshuffle 1.5k points · 18 hours ago Why would I stir my coffee? Sugar floats.

36.

Text - Jackalope154 1.3k points · 17 hours ago Stupidest thing that I've said with confidence: "You should eat the crust. It's the most nutritious part of the bread." I was 24 when I realized that I had internalized a lie told to be by a mother who didn't want to cut the crusts off.

37.

Text - LiliJavakhishvili 1.2k points · 15 hours ago I was asked what country I'm from and I replied Georgia. The person then said "oh, honey that's a state. That's not a country" O

38.

Text - thecreepyauthor 1.2k points · 19 hours ago S Mentioned that my parents aren't the same faith - one is Muslim, one is an Atheist, but they're both white. My coworker said, "Oh, I didn't know you're biracial!" in full confidence. Hearing that one parent is Muslim, my other coworker has been desperate for me to share our "traditional dances, foods, tea" with her. We are pasty white people from the midwest. My traditions end at corndogs and the hokey pokey.

39.

Text - OrangeTree81 1.2k points · 16 hours ago I had family in Hawaii when a hurricane was about to hit. I was worried about them and had a coworker tell me "don't worry about it, they're going to move the hurricane out of the way. They can bring them on they'll push them back"

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment