Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Karen Customer Wants Tip Back, Waitress Refuses


Love it when Karen asks to speak to the manager, and the manager ends up having the employee's back. As the waitress describes in this particular scenario, it was a lose-lose from the beginning. Thirsty husband insisted on having his beers, and Karen was having none of that. So, the waitress was doomed before she could even address the situation. A situation that was clearly destined to spiral out of control. 

1.

Text - AITA for refusing to return a tip AND telling a couple that I dont have time to play mediator? Not the A-hole I'm a 22 year old, female waitress at Texas Roadhouse. This is one of my two jobs to put myself through college. Most days are fine but other days are a living hell. Yesterday I was assigned a table that had a husband, wife and what appeared to be a teenage daughter (maybe 17). Everything was going smooth at first and the wife ordered a margarita. The husband then tried ordering a

2.

Text - Anyways, he keeps telling me he wants a beer. She keeps telling me no. In this industry, situations like this are a lose/lose for waitresses. If I get him the beer, wife wont tip. If I dont get him the beer, he wont tip. Damned if I do, damned if I dont. So while they were arguing AT me, I said "Listen, I really dont have time to play mediator here." They went silent. I went and got both of them their alcohol. Daughter gives me an apologetic look upon my return, presumably because her mot

3.

Text - Flash forward to after their meals. Husband has had 2 beers at this point. Wife has stopped drinking and glares at me everytime I return. Wife and daughter go to the car while husband pays. Husband drops me a $40 tip on a $68 tab. I told him I couldnt accept it. He insisted. Eventually I pocketed it. Wife comes in an hour or so later demanding that I give her the $40 her husband gave me, stating that I was a terrible host and went against her and I dknt deserve a tip. She got my manager i

4.

Text - obligated to give you her tip. You left the restaurant and the tip has already been processed. Have a nice night." She was fuming, screaming at me about how much of an AH I was for supplying her husband alcohol after she said no. Other guests started chiming in saying that she was being ignorant and that I was doing my job, which is to provide guests with what they want and said that it wasnt MY fault that she was a controlling wife. She storms out. Given the fact that I was put on the sp

5.

Text - poiplefruit • 1d • Asshole Aficionado [11] 2 Awards Nta imo, manager has your back (which is good!) and the other customers as well. Really she's pissed at her husband not you. Edit- I think some people are reading this as if I think the wife is a harpy and drinking and driving is fine, I don't, and I have no idea what happens in their life, for all I know he pulls this shit all the time, or she's the one who always has a glass of wine and he never gets to, etc etc. Just it's clear the ac

6.

Text - Bearx2020 • 23h • Partassipant [1] Absolutely NTA. He gave you that tip, not her. He was probably glad you stood up to her because he can't. She seemed controlling and confrontational off the bat. My mum is like this, if anything doesn't go the way she wants it, she loses it with everyone around her. I'm 29, I can't even order a steak in front of her without her telling me it's wrong and changing my order like l'm a child. If I change it back, she throws a tantrum. Btw, she does it wrong.

7.

Text - declined, mother got huffy as fuck, throwing a tantrum about how we don't do anything with her but wouldn't pay for us. So it was a tantrum for tantrums sake. Dad took us off to get an ice cream and slipped us the cash, told us to act like we did a recount and could afford it. Did the trip, it was crap and definitely not worth it. A few days later my parents are arguing about how my dad is so careless and disgusting. Asked what was up and she started screaming how my dad has lost €50 and

8.

Text - whitewer • 1d • Partassipant [2] Nta, you did your job. You didn't make the husband give you the tip and you stated you tried to give it back. She had no right to come back getting mad at you, that was something she should have taken up with her husband Reply 143 ...

9.

Text - Father-Son-HolyToast • 22h NTA. Even in the worst case scenario (say the husband is a raging alcoholic whose drinking is destroying the family, and has sworn up and down to his wife he'll quit), you did nothing wrong here. If an adult orders a beverage they're legally permitted to order, that's all there is to it. His wife's feelings on his order is a private matter between the two of them. Your only responsibility is to decline to overserve a very drunk person, especially one who's plann

10.

Text - candyman_93 • 1d Definitely NTA. And why would she blame you for her being a controlling wife? She seems to have done that herself Reply 38 ...

11.

Text - HauntofhighAFtower • 1d • Partassipant [3] How could you possibly be an asshole in this situation. Did you just need a venue to vent this all happened? Who in the history of ever would be guilty that a petulant customer CAME BACK to harass you and demand money back that her husband freely gave you? I get you are 22, but if you are a server surely you must realize people are horrible monsters and we all here wouldn't collective label you an asshole even if you punched the woman in the face

12.

Text - poonbert • 21h NTA, but were you really unsure before you posted this? Feels more like it's just a satisfying story that you wanted to share, like it belongs on r/pettyrevenge I mean there's just no way you actually thought we might call you an asshole for this. You don't need our input on this situation at all. Reply 61 ...

13.

Text - ReallyReilly • 21h ΝΤΑ. ΝΤΑ. ΝΤΑ . I've been bartending and FOH management for over a decade. These situations are the worst- you're totally right about them being a lose-lose. You did exactly what I would have done in that situation. I absolutely would have served him the beer he ordered and I absolutely would have kept the tip. He was of age and not intoxicated: he wants a beer he gets a beer. He paid the tab and left you the tip. Even if HE came back in asking for the tip back I wouldn

14.

Text - sobrokeitafunny • 23h • Partassipant [4] NTA. He's a grown man, if she didn't want him to have a beer then they should have talked about it long before the ever sat down and he should have agreed to it. You are not the wife's friend, buddy, confident, or co- conspirator. It is not your job to help her control a grown adult that is making a reasonable request. Reply

15.

Text - MKX_Projects • 22h NTA for keeping the tip, but there were definitely better ways of handling it than saying "I dont have time to play mediator." ...something like "I'll give you more time to decide" and walking away would have been better imo Reply 15 ...

16.

Text - chatondedanger • 1d • Asshole Aficionado [12] NTA. You are not customers mothers. It's not like you over-served him. Glad your boss backed you. She has some nerve coming back there. Reply ...

17.

Text - ramvan • 21h NTA, you are the server not the marriage counselor. I'm not sure that bringing the beer was the best choice, maybe pulling a "let me give you a few more moments to decide" might have let them get the fight over with while you were away from the table, but I don't think there was a right answer for you. Reply ...

18.

Text - Silver-Thing2724 • 22h • Asshole Aficionado [11] NTA This will be a fun story once emotions die down. She was waaaaaayyyyy out of line and her coming back to take your money is laughable. Waitressing is tough work and that was a hard situation. You did what I would do. You, as a waitress, could actually get in trouble for not providing your service if the husband were to complain. Nothing happens if his wife complains but some headache Reply ...

19.

Text - unrepentantbananas • 16h • Partassipant [1] NTA, he was over 21, he ordered the beer, he paid for it, and tipped you. You tried to refuse the tip and he insisted, and their entire party had left. If your shift had ended before she came back, she couldn't have gotten "her" money back either way. Even if he is an alcoholic, it isn't your responsibility as their server to be the alcohol police. Maybe you could have said something a little differently, but you weren't wrong, just maybe not th

20.

Text - Katt_ler • 22h • Asshole Aficionado [19] NTA, their marital squabbles are not your responsibility to sort out. Your job was to give them food and drink, not therapy. Their poor daughter, though, wow. Reply Vote

21.

Text - ReeveStodgers • 21h NTA I suspect a big part of why you feel guilty is that $40 is a lot of money for you for one tip. When you have less the value of money is magnified. Those people have plenty of money to be eating out and ordering a bunch of drinks. If you take the amount of money out of the equation (imagine it had only been $1) I think it will be easier to feel that you're NTA. The wife was trying to punish you because she has little power to punish her husband. | Reply 1 Vote ...

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment