Monday, September 28, 2020

Biggest Red Flags Hiring Managers Saw On Resumes


Someone on AskReddit got a thread going about the biggest red flags that hiring managers have seen on resumes. If anything, the following collection of suspect, genuinely shady resumes should serve as a gallery of what to never put on your resume. That, or these people were clearly applying for the wrong jobs. 

Check out some more juicy gossip from hiring managers with this list of signs that people lied on their resumes, from hiring managers.

1.

Text - CamperKuzey • 3d 1 Award When I was about 14-15 ish my dad kinda pushed me to apply for a translating job at SEGA (Good English). I needed a CV to apply, so my dad helped me make one. He told me to put my favourite games on my résumé, and my dumbass not only agreed, but answered honestly, without a single Sega game on the top 5 list I made. This man is an HR Manager of 20+ years. Reply 2.3k ...

2.

Text - AasthaRisk • 3d When people apply through Facebook jobs and it pulls the info from their profile, you end up with shit like 'went to the University of LIFE' or 'l only work for ME and no one else!" as a headline on their application. Its hard to take that seriously. Reply 7.8k ...

3.

Text - Alleylovescoffee • 3d 3 Awards A very unprofessional email is definitely one. You see some insane emails. I knew someone who got an email address that had "big daddy" in it. Edit for anyone who needs a professional email address, personally I find any combination of your first, middle, last names, initials, and birthdate are all acceptable. In fact any numbers but 420, 69, etc. And 123 is fine. It's absolutely worth having a very bland email for anything where you don't want your email to

4.

Text - winkelschleifer • 3d 1 Award if this phrase is written anywhere: "my chickens have come home to roost" Reply 7.3k ...

5.

Text - Olwek • 3d 5 Awards Military Service: U.S. Army Wife, Lieutenant Colonel

6.

Text - lady_molotovcocktail • 3d 5 Awards Listing every single accomplishment from high school and/or middle school... when you've been out of high school for 10+ years. Had a guy list every: part he got in a musical/play. Sports he played (with scores!). Clubs he was a part of. Etc. all of these dated from at least elementary school on. The man was 50+. The job had nothing to do with any of these items. Reply 28.6k ...

7.

Text - RatMaster999• 3d 3 Awards I used to do the "hiring triage" for a university library. Gearing up for the fall semester, l'd have to read through 500+ applications (my record was in the 750's) for a usual 30 hires. Used to get some terrible ones. The most common were: 133t / txt spk all lowercase ALL CAPS Three word answers to multi-part questions No federal workstudy award (Not an indication of a bad applicant, but we were clear upfront that we couldn't hire anyone without it. Simply could

8.

Text - Came in one day (I worked 4pm-2:30am) to a blinking light on my phone, indicating voicemail. Checked it. Several messages. First message (8:30ish am) was from an angry woman demanding I call back by twelve to explain why we hadn't hired her son. Second message (10:30ish am), same woman, snarling that I hadn't called, and that she would have my job because her son had workstudy, therefore we legally must hire him (LOL, no) because he wants to work in the library. Third message (11ish am) f

9.

Text - Turns out, when the woman called again, around 2pm, she got forwarded to my supervisor, who had remember the internal online database of applicants l'd created for her and the other hiring supervisors to check when I was out. Using that, she discovered that the kid's file wasn't in my desk because l'd initially rated him fairly well, worth another look. Armed with that info and notes on his file, she told mommy dearest what was going on. Damn, I wish I could've seen that woman's face when

10.

Text - db1139 • 3d Doesn't stop me from hiring anyone, but changes things up when someone says they speak another language. If it's Spanish, you'll be interviewed in Spanish. Sometimes that goes very poorly for the applicant. Reply 4.4k ...

11.

Text - aimeesss • 3d I'm the kind of manager who will go for someone with less experience if they have a good interview. Obviously you need to check some things off experience wise (customer service, data entry etc) but I know most people can learn on the job. One thing I despise in resume or cover letter is crowded wording and minimal gaps. I don't need to see your work history from your McDonald's days at 14, I need to see the last 5 IF, it's relevant to the job. Reply 590 ...

12.

Text - Nyrlath • 3d 5 Awards I interview an Indian guy who had "Surfing the Internet and Shooting Pistols" as his hobbies. I wanted to hire him on the spot to be our 'wild card' Reply 24.1k ...

13.

Text - MentalWyvern • 3d 1 Award The guy who applied for a design job and attached a photoshopped image of him as a centaur comes to mind. Also typos. I was hiring a very senior level person who seemed like they could do an amazing job, but there were SEVERAL typos on her resume. I asked the recruiter to let her know. Edit for clarification: the question what about red flags. Not "why did you throw out a perfectly good resume for petty reasons?" Neither of the resumes were tossed. The centaur ap

14.

Text - UniverseBear • 3d 33 Awards People keep saying "gaps in work history" but honestly guys, make sure you inquire about it before just writing someone off. I had a guy who had a year or two gap in his resume. Most people would just write this dude as "well obviously there's something wrong with him." Well there was, the dude was diagnosed with brain cancer and had to go through intensive treatment. He lived but came out the other end jobless. Couldn't find work afterwards because of the gap.

15.

Text - JYWH22 • 3d 3 Awards I've seen someone put their certificate of baptism under Certificates and Awards.

16.

Text - Copenhagan • 3d E Q & 3 6 Awards A water mark of their face on each page of a resume. Edit: This was in Canada for a food retail position. Also thanks for the awards and up votes. This is now by far my most upvoted post. Reply 21.0k ...

17.

Text - Blessthefall • 3d I have a certificate of knighthood (or whatever) from Sealand. I like to think that would at least peak pique a potential employer's interest but im not currently willing to risk it. Edit: I appreciate the correction. It's late here Reply 2.0k ...

18.

Text - Si-Ran • 3d WRITTEN LIKE A 4TH GRADER Reply 2.1k ...

19.

Text - Sir_Auron • 3d "Reason for Leaving: too much drama" Reply 2.3k ...

20.

Text - aboutbetelgeuse • 3d I once got "5'11, member of basketball organization" We're a tech startup. Reply 245 ...

21.

Text - kelvinbill1816 • 3d When someone have 5 years experience of a software that was invented 2 years ago. Edit: grammar Reply 3.4k ...

22.

Text - megskellas • 3d Not sure its a "red flag" but I'm always surprised how many people don't consider their email address. Some really funny one's have come through our office, but it's that sort of thought and attention to detail that can make someone wonder about you. Reply 170 ...

23.

Text - DanielleAntenucci • 3d Over the past 10+ years I have hired hundreds of people to work for me. I have never considered anything on a resume to be a red flag. Every situation is different. One of my best employees had a two-year gap in her work history. It turns out she was married to a Marine at the time and was a stay-at-home mom. Reply 230 ...

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment