Thursday, August 6, 2020

Millennial Gets Brutally Honest About Financial Stability


This dude asked the people of Reddit whether or not they were in the wrong for getting brutally honest about the source of their financial stability, with their coworkers. People seem to be in agreement that this wasn't uncalled for at all. 

1.

Text - r/AmltheAsshole u/No-Wing-868• 1d + Join 1 1 5 1 AITA for being brutally honest about my financial stability? Not the A-hole So l'm 26, I have no student debt, and I own a condo outright. My coworkers and office are very anti-young people and constantly rag on "those millennials" and their "financial irresponsibility". I'm one of 4 people under 30 in the office, and my coworkers are usually shocked by my age.

2.

Text - They know I have no college debt because I mentioned it once, and I mentioned in passing that I had bought a condo. On the last happy hour zoom meeting, they started in on their talk. I tried to gently defend my generation only to have them say that I shouldn't because unlike them, I'm actually responsible, and I prove that millennial actually COULD do it if they really tried. Here's the thing. My aunt died when I was 8, and she basically left enough money and time for my parents to inves

3.

Text - Condensates • 1d • Partassipant [1] NTA. its hard to be honest about inheritance in our "bootstrap" soceity but thank you for doing so. Im so sick of people blaming other people for being poor, as if its our own fault that jobs pay less and houses cost more these days. I know 8 people in their 20's or early 30's who own a house or condo and 7 of those 8 either inherited money or won a settlement for major physical body harm. And all of these people work real, salaried jobs that make use o

4.

Text - Oldladyo • 1d • Asshole Enthusiast [6] NTA. You should defend Millennials, just as you would defend any other group that was under constant criticism. I am ashamed of older people when they look down on people your age. They really have no idea how much the world has changed, how much more expensive education, car loans, mortgages, rent... Are in comparison to what they used to pay. They live in their own reality, and someone does need to set them straight. Good for you! Reply 543 ...

5.

Text - Blueberry_Lemon_Cake • 1d NTA. I'm currently on furlough and am not freaking out as much as other people, because I am privileged enough that if my unemployment were to stop, l'd have enough money to live on for 15-18 months. While several thousand of that was from working and saving, the vast bulk of it was a settlement from an accident. So literally, my financial security is because I got hit by а car. Also seriously, fuck them. I'm so tired of people not realizing that the economy now

6.

Text - caspiam • 1d • Pooperintendant [51] NTA but im not sure why you even engaged with them at all on this. I'd be ignoring it or hey, if you want to fight back, there is PLENTY wrong with their generation. Or you can say, you can keep shitting on my generation but i'll just bust out 'ok boomer' in response. They hate that. Reply 3.7k ...

7.

Text - catlady9851 • 1d NTA. I think part of the reason older generations have gotten so out of control with their criticism is that they were taught and taught their kids that contradicting someone is rude. It's not. Especially if they're wrong. Stop coddling them. Reply 250 ...

8.

Text - loomsie • 1d • Partassipant [2] 1 Award Hit them with an OK Boomer whilst savagely eating an avocado. NTA Reply 213 ...

9.

Text - ZennMD • 1d • Partassipant [1] NTA and good for you for not letting them use you as an example for their narrative. (And sorry for your losses! ) Sometimes people don't want to recognise how much luck and not hard work dictate their good situation as it challenges their worldview, the younger generation DO have it quantitatively more difficult than the older gen, much less factoring in the environment, mental health issues etc I would even pull out some cost comparisons to show how much m

10.

Text - Hedwygy • 1d • Certified Proctologist [24] 3 1 Award NTA. "Success" is 99% inheritance, either direct money or networking through family. Reply 30.2k ...

11.

Text - yerebelstale • 1d NTA. i often have to explain to my own parents (who gave me most of these advantages in the first place???) that i'm not special, just lucky. i suspect that previous generations tend to attribute their success to innate worthiness (and thus feel they are better than people who are less financially successful). when those of us who are similarly comfortable don't subscribe to that belief, it challenges their own sense of worth. Reply 30 ...

12.

Text - alexatd • 1d NTA. I'm now in this boat too and it's weird. My mom died and suddenly l'm financially set for life? It's horrifying and strange? Honestly I think Boomers need to realize: the only way their Millennial children (or grandchildren?) will survive is if they die and leave us their assets. Womp. (Though, to my own credit... I paid off my own student loans, early... b/c I have THREE JOBS--one of them writing books and I got a good book deal. Hashtag Millennial generation lol.) Repl

13.

Text - famousanonamos • 1d • Asshole Aficionado [16] NTA. But also don't sell yourself short. Yes you were lucky getting inheritances, but it sounds like you are being responsible with what you were given. You shouldn't feel obligated to defend an entire generation, I would just try to stay out of those conversations. Reply 62 ...

14.

Text - witnesstomylife • 1d NTA. You're just luckier than some people and it's better to be honest about it because most millenials/ older gen z who are independent are struggling. we *can't* pull ourselves up by our bootstraps because...well, are we even wearing boots to begin with? Reply 5 ...

15.

Text - Toastie91 • 1d NTA, and chances are a lot of the folk ragging on millenials are in fact millenials, gen y range for people born 1981 until 1996 so the oldest millenials are 39 this year. Also having family members is almost never a pleasant experience (I'm sure there are exceptions that would make it pleasant for some but that is irrelevant), these people are just jealous that their life isn't going as well as yours (that being in the generally accepted life plan for people, education, ma

16.

Text - BisquickNinja • 1d NTA I understand trying to defend your position. Honestly though, you don't owe your coworkers shit, no explanation, no breakdown, no talking, nothing. You life is your own and you do not need to justify it to anybody. As they say "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt"... Let the imagination of those fools run wild. Reply ...

17.

Text - YewsDid911 • 1d Nta but at the same time you saying that kinda proved them right in a way. Unfortunately now they are going to be going back to their generalizing.

18.

Text - KittybotANI091 • 19h NTA. These old farts need to know that life isn't easy these days. I've worked my ASS off for years, I have about 13k in student loans for two semesters of community college, one of which I couldn't finish due to illness and my dad dying, so nothing to show for it. I was a single mom who only managed to get out of my mom's house because I found a duplex a lady was renting for $450, and she probably thinks that's the average rent around here. She kicked me out because

19.

Text - Now, at 30 and 31, we're finally at a level of "almost comfortable" but I'm so used to being poor that having anything in savings, or a little left over in my checking makes me insanely anxious because I can't figure out the numbers for my bills if I'm not down to the last cent. Why do I have this money, where did it come from, where does it belong, what did I forget to pay? My husband is currently getting unemployment, and his job might not still exist after things open back up. Similar

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment