Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Home Builder Ruins Man's Dream House, Justice Ensues


It pays off to keep a calm and collected manner in the face of some alarming BS. This home builder almost ended up costing this man and his wife $13K. Fortunately he was able to right the wrongs by filing a lien, and got every penny back. Love to see the homeowner come out victorious in the end. 

1.

Text - r/ProRevenge + Join u/absintheortwo • 7h A home builder ruined my dream house and almost took me for $13,000 Originally posted in O r/MaliciousCompliance but didn't quite meet that criteria. O r/ProRevenge is more apropos. Here's my story: Some background; about a decade ago I retired from the military in a small-ish town in the western US and managed to land a near dream job in said small town. With my new grown up job and a pension in hand, plus my wife's income, we decide we're going t

2.

Text - We pick a small but reputable builder for our semi- custom house. The owner, Hop for these purposes, is a great guy and even though he thinks some of our requests are a little eccentric, like, why would we want a four foot wide front door(duh, way easier to carry a couch through), he indulges us. I'm a minimalist by nature and one of the things l'd always wanted was polished concrete floors. They're low maintenance. No crappy carpet to soil, trap smells, or replace. No tile to look outdat

3.

Text - This is important, because now I start laying out money. I didn't have a construction loan. Hop was basically treating this like a spec build, so up to this point I haven't spent a dime. Hop's a good dude and agreed I could bring my own appliances and fixtures because I didn't want the builder grade stuff. We traded the allowance for other upgrades and I was able to get higher end stuff on sale without builder markup. This is my almost dream house right? If I wanna cook two mothereffin' t

4.

Text - And then, Hop and his contractors ruin them. They jackhammer concrete to move plumbing that they screwed up during rough-in. They gouge the concrete in other rooms. It's a shit-show. The root of the problem is Hop's son is the project manager and he's too busy buying weed and chasing tail to be good at this job. It's time to close on the house, but the floors look like hell. My wife and Hop's wife survey the place and even Hop's wife agrees they look like hell. He says if he can't fix it,

5.

Text - At this point my wife sends Hop an itemized invoice for everything we spent on the house. Hop sends me a contract of sorts that he'd like me sign. It basically says I can have the money I have in the house if they can sell the house for the asking price and if there's profit after realtor fees. It's a huge con. I'm in over my head. He'll juggle the numbers and I'm f*cked. No way am I signing that. This shit is gonna cost me money; I'm gonna need a lawyer. Remember the HVAC family? They ha

6.

Text - A few months pass, when out of the blue, I get an urgent call from a title company requesting I come down there ASAP to sign a release of lien. I say today's not the day but maybe tomorrow if they have a $13K check for me. They indeed have a check. It took a few months but we got every penny back. TL;DR: Builder screwed up a while constructing a house that we'd spent our own money on to upgrade. Instead of hiring a lawyer and blowing more money, I filed a lien and and got every penny back

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment