Monday, August 24, 2020

Guy's Roommate Enforces Weird Rules, He Moves Out Mid-Lease


This guy asked folks on Reddit whether or not he was in the wrong for stranding his roommate with full rent, because he simply couldn't take any more of his roommate's strange rules. The gist of it is that his roommate's girlfriend moved in with them. Said girlfriend seems to have suffered some kind of trauma in the past, and can't stand being caught alone with the guy when her boyfriend isn't around. Considering the uniquely tough time that we're all living through, and how many folks are forced to be at home most of the time, this created quite the conundrum. So, most folks agreed the guy really didn't do anything wrong. 

1.

Text - AITA for moving out mid-lease and stranding my roommate with full rent after his girlfriend keeps accusing me of being "creepy"? So l've been living with my current roommate for 2 years now. I'm actually subletting and l'm on my 2nd year which is month-to-month, but we've had an unofficial "verbal" agreement that I'd stay until the end of the year. I mean it's a pandemic, I didn't think I'd move either. Anyways his gf moved in beginning of this year. It's been...a lot. She's obviously had

2.

Text - Well when she first moved in my roommate had some "ground rules" for me so his gf would be more comfortable. She obviously wasn't thrilled about having another roommate. He said I couldn't talk to her (like strike up a convo) if he wasn't there because she doesn't want to have to talk to me if she didn't have to. He also said it would be best if we tried to not use the same facilities at the same time (like if she's cooking in the kitchen, I should wait until she leaves before I grab food

3.

Text - Things got worse in recent months cause we've all been working from home. It's REALLY hard to avoid someone 24/7. So obviously l've slipped up more. One time I came home from Costco and offered her a spare bottle of coconut water I couldn't fit in the fridge. Big mistake. My roommate had to have a "talk" with me that night about how I should know she would never drink my drinks and it's weird for me to even offer. The most recent one was when she was watching some GoT in our living room.

4.

Text - Long story short, my friend just had a place open up that's cheap and I'm gonna move. I told my roommate and he's pissed, because of our unofficial agreement and how he's probably gonna pay full rent for a while. I feel bad because yeah, I did say I wasn't gonna move. But I'm also pretty sick of both him and his gf. However, I feel kind of guilty because I agreed to their weird rules before all this started back when I thought it'd be ok. 23.2k 2.0k 1 Share

5.

Text - DormantDormaus • 11h NTA. He made the place super uncomfortable for you. Is it weird that I want to hear more about this bizarre situation though? Reply 5.1k ...

6.

Text - aliquilts71 • 11h • Asshole Enthusiast [3] 1 Award NTA. You agreed to stay there BEFORE you started getting treated like a would be criminal in your own home. It's ridiculous to expect you to live like that. If your roommates girlfriend can't live with other people in her living space, she shouldn't have moved in. Reply 3.0k ...

7.

Text - pukui7 • 11h • Colo-rectal Surgeon [37] NTA Move out and don't look back. If you are such a creep, they should be overjoyed to see you leaving anyway. Reply 1.9k ...

8.

Text - Storkey01 • 11h NTA - That's an insane way to have to live. Get out ASAP Reply 27.8k ...

9.

Text - SimonSpooner • 11h • Partassipant [1] NTA. If you leave there are still 2 people in the flat. Why is the gf not paying rent? Besides that, these were ridiculous rules. If she can't get over her past trauma it's not your responsibility to cope with her to the point you can't offer coconut water. Must be hard for her but she is TA. Reply 9.2k ...

10.

Text - SlytherClaw3 • 11h • Asshole Enthusiast [6] NTA. Move out. However, I feel kind of guilty because I agreed to their weird rules before all this started back when I thought it'd be ok. Exactly. When you thought it would be OK. This is a bit much. Obviously we don't know what trauma she's gone through, but that doesn't mean you have to put up with being treated like that at your own place. That's your home too. If you're not comfortable with how you're being treated - which, frankly, noone

11.

Text - Raoul_Duke_Nukem • 11h NTA Your roommate's girlfriend sounds weird and incapable of normal human interaction. How do you live in the same house as someone without striking up an occasional conversation once in a while or running into each other in common areas? That would be very uncomfortable. It sounds like your roommate is enabling her weird behaviour instead of explaining to her that it's just not how human beings act in a society. Get out of there. Reply 1 1.2k ...

12.

Text - WoodlandOfWeir • 11h • Partassipant [4] NTA by all means. However, out of curiosity, how did the girlfriend react when you offered her a drink or stood behind her in the living room? Are you sure that this ridiculousness is coming from her and he isn't just insanely controlling and inventing stuff? Reply 477

13.

Text - dr197 • 11h NTA. The place was your home just as much as it was theirs. From what you have said you seemed to have been nothing but nice and willing to put up with them. I understand she went through traumatic experiences but if she's going to act like this she needs to see a therapist before she moves in with anyone. Reply 251 ...

14.

Text - username20242024 • 10h NTA. 1. She shouldn't have moved in with him knowing he has a roommate if she didn't want a roommate and expected to be treated like a princess especially since you didn't mention anything about her paying rent. 2. The "ground rules" are creepy. You shouldn't have been ok with that because you pay rent, it's ur place too. 3. Moving out was the right decision because she could have accused you of something a lot more serious than being creepy just to get you to leave

15.

Text - Lizbot7 • 11h • Asshole Enthusiast [8] NTA. It's a pandemic, you didn't know you'd be stuck at home constantly and honestly it sounds like you've spent the last several months walking on eggshells in your own home. He has created a situation that makes it hard for you to keep living with him, this isn't your fault. Reply 1 49 ...

16.

Text - lisab2266 • 11h • Partassipant [3] NTA. You have every right to leave. He changed the terms of your lease by moving her in and creating a bunch of rules that limited your use of the apartment and made it extremely difficult and stressful to live in. He will have trouble finding a new roommate who would want to live like this. Also, with his GF there, he should have no issue paying the rent. She can pay for her use of the apartment. Reply 26 ...

17.

Text - wotsname123 • 11h NTA. They are strongly implying you are untrustworthy and a sexual predator. I'm amazed you have stuck it as long as you have. Reply 46

18.

Text - fuzzy_mic • 11h • Asshole Enthusiast [6] NTA - You are on a month to month lease. Typically, 30 notice means you're there and pay rent through Sep 30. NTA if that's what happens. Reply 50 ...

19.

Text - noshi191 • 10h NTA. Its beyond me that you would agree to live like that. Its like having a restraining order against you but in your own home. And your roommate is shitty to even think of making you do these things. In your own home. That you also pay for. Reply 10 ...

20.

Text - awill237 • 10h NTA You know how you become more comfortable with the people you live with and stop being terrified of their every move? You interact with them. It's been over six months and she's living in fear of normal roommate behavior because of the ridiculous accommodations you've been asked to make. Your moving out is justified, overdue, and better for all of you if you're the only one who's been asked to change. Go and enjoy freedom of movement in your new home. Reply 10 + ...

21.

Text - Zahra0121 • 9h NTA. I assume the arrangements have changed since you verbally agreed to stay until the end of the year and this is a consequence of him changing your agreement. Also, is his girlfriend paying rent? Call me petty, but i would hate to be paying 1/2 rent when there's 3 people living there. Reply ...

22.

Text - Medievalmoomin • 9h NTA I'm so sorry. It sounds like you can't win, you can't relax and live in your own home, and that's not fair on you. I have had experiences with grown adults refusing to talk to me, like eight-year-olds, and it's been horrible, but I didn't live with them 24/7. Please do move out. It's a reasonable consequence of some very questionable house rules, that all seem designed to cast you as 'the one who is in the wrong.' I'm sorry you face moving out during the pandemic a

23.

Text - laim2msbehave • 9h NTA - They asked too much of you and you were there before her, if anyone should have to adjust, it's her. The GF's expectations are beyond ridiculous and if she is that fragile then she should be at her own place where she feels safe or with her family. Don't come @ me about being too harsh either because I've lived through much worse and have to manage myself and my CPTSD every single day and still function in society as many others just like me also do. Part of devel

24.

Text - Thundering Tacos • 8h NTA It's been 8 months Like, I sympathize with her having serious trauma, I really do. That feeling of personal violation isn't something that just goes away And I can understand there being an adjustment period to get used to each other But at a certain point you'd think everyone could at least get along casually, see you less as a stranger and more as a roommate (who's going out of his way to respect their personal space), and acknowledge that you're being treated

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment