Saturday, July 18, 2020

Mother-Of-The-Bride Wears White Dress, Maid Of Honor Asks Her To Change


It is not your day, mom. One of the maid of honor's many responsibilities is to ensure that the bridezilla antics are kept to a pleasant minimum. That most definitely includes mom showing up with a white dress, which is exactly what you're not supposed to do on the big wedding day. Never take that shine away from the bride on her big day. 

1.

Text - AITA for not letting my MIL attend my SIL's wedding unless she changed her dress first? (This happened a while ago, no big weddings during a pandemic for me, dw!) | (24F) was the maid of honour at the wedding of my brother and his wife (my sister in law). While we were planning the wedding, my SIL mentioned how overbearing her mom can be, and how she always feels bad asking her to stop being an attention hog. I told my SIL that on the wedding day, l'd take care of her, no matter what.

2.

Text - Sure enough, MIL pulls up to the wedding wearing a WHITE dress (something my SIL guessed she'd do). I saw her get out of her car and start walking towards the venue, so I pulled her aside before anyone could see her and brought her in through a side entrance. I told her that it was inappropriate to wear white at someone else's wedding, and that if she wanted to attend, she'd have to change. I had my SIL give me some of MIL's nice dresses, so I had a few for her to chose from. MIL flipped

3.

Text - MIL ended up changing, but made a HUGE deal out of it and went home early during the reception because she "didn't feel welcome". She still maintains that I was out of line. I don't think I did anything wrong, but I do feel really shitty for potentially being the reason my SIL wasn't able to enjoy her wedding fully with her mother (even though SIL still had crazy amounts of fun). AITA? 13.4k 790 1 Share

4.

Text - moderatelysizedjim • 13h • Partassipant [2] LMAO you're obviously NTA Who the hell wears a white dress to a wedding?! You did exactly and the bride asked you to, don't worry Reply 4.5k ...

5.

Text - ThankVerra • 13h • Partassipant [1] NTA - a fucking standing ovation to you! Holy shit that is AMAZING. Ni you are not the asshole, you are a fantastic friend and a dutiful maid of honor. You are the reason this post is here and not on one of those "how did your mom completely ruin your wedding?" threads. Reply 586 ...

6.

Text - PadawanPoopyPoop • 13h • Certified Proctologist [23] NTA You were an angel for your brother and SIL and they will always appreciate you standing up for your SIL. Reply 832 ...

7.

Text - breemar • 13h NTA who they hell wears white to a wedding!? And of all people her own mother was trying to upstage her on her wedding day!? What the heck. Reply 1 385 ...

8.

Text - omg_pwnies • 12h NTA, not at all. I do feel really shitty for potentially being the reason my SIL wasn't able to enjoy her wedding fully with her mother YOU aren't the reason for that - her mother is, both for wearing a white dress to her daughter's wedding and for the way she reacted to being asked to change. You did a great job taking care of your SiL's big worry on her big day. In NO WAY were you the asshole. Reply 297 ...

9.

Text - Slab231 • 10h NTA - The fact that your SIL HAD DRESSES BECAUSE SHE KNEW THIS WOULD HAPPEN, shows me that the MIL would've ruined their day if you weren't there. I applaud you. You are one hell of a maid of honor and I would love for someone like you to be there on my wedding day because I know my mom is going to do something like this at mine. (She's talked about wearing "the white dress she never had" at my wedding, for some insight) Again you are an amazing sister and SIL and even thoug

10.

Text - thescooobygang • 13h • Asshole Aficionado [10] F1 Award Woah. NTA. MIL is a grown woman who cried because she was asked to change out of a white dress at her daughter's funeral, and then went home early just to be petty. SIL was right to have you take care of her, good job! Reply 13.8k ...

11.

Text - Nixie_D • 13h • Certified Proctologist [21] NTA You did everything right by your SIL, whether it was wearing a white dress or leaving early, or something else, your MIL was going to find a way to create some drama. Better she left early, dressed appropriately, than stuck around and caused a headache for your SIL. Reply 119 ...

12.

Text - Status-Egg-2933 • 13h NTA my MIL wore white to my wedding and I wish someone would have stepped in. Reply 74

13.

Text - Rogues_Gambit • 13h • Craptain [188] NTA fair play to you well done Reply 32 ...

14.

Text - ItsGoodToChalk • 12h • Partassipant [4] NTA, you're a total boss! I heard once of a wedding where the mother of the bride felt she didn't get enough attention, so she left early faking illness. That wasn't so bad, but she was meant to look after the bride and groom's kids that night, something she insisted on doing for her daughter. The bride and groom spent their wedding night tackling three kids in a bridal suite not designed for a family. Reply 31 ...

15.

Text - Coolfarm88 • 11h NTA. I wish I would have had someone like you when my exMIL showed up to the wedding in a white dress. My family ignored the crazy woman and his family gave her odd looks and cracked jokes about her "always being like that" behind her back. I had been bullied by that woman for years and didn't want another conflict on my wedding day so just ignored her too. I wish someone/l would have stood up to her crazy ass. You're a champ!!!! Reply 16 ...

16.

Text - BazTheBaptist • 13h • Craptain [154] NTA you were working under the instructions of the bride. The bride and groom make the rules Reply 15 ...

17.

Text - RollingKatamari • 13h • Professor Emeritass [96] NTA-your SIL is lucky to have you on her side. Reply ...

18.

Text - Aceiridge • 13h • Partassipant [1] NTA, if that were may wedding and you'd done that, it would have been free drinks that night and every night after Reply 10 ...

19.

Text - ThreeRingShitshow • 11h NTA In response to her whining about not being welcome I would have given her the dead eyed glare and said "Not dressed like that you aren't. Your choices are change or leave." Reply 5 ...

20.

Text - tokenchild73 • 13h • Partassipant [2] NTA - good for you. If only every bride could be so lucky to have a maid of honor like you. Reply 1 4

21.

Text - artemistheatre • 7h NTA! Your SIL brought dresses because she knew her mom would do this. You did a fantastic job keeping the MIL in line. Your SIL was able to have fun at her wedding because of you! Reply 2

22.

Text - Dohbelisk • 7h NTA - It's SIL wedding day. If you cleared your actions with her first, then you're golden. Reply 2 1 ...

23.

Text - tiemeup_daddy • 6h NTA. Extra brownie points for you, imo, for stepping up for your SIL so she doesn't have to stress about it on her day. It was something you didn't have to do for her and, I imagine, quite uncomfortable. Glad you and your SIL get along so well! Hopefully your brother won't be posting on O r/JUSTNOMIL Reply 2 +

24.

Text - ANobleBean • 12h NTA. Go you for taking her on! I can imagine it may have had a slightly detrimental impact on your relationship with MIL going forward though! Reply Vote ...

25.

Text - thedutchess- • 12h NTA - you have a super shiny spine! Good on you for standing up for your friend on her big day. Reply Vote ...

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment