Sunday, June 7, 2020

Non Canadians First Thoughts When Thinking Of Canada


Someone on AskReddit got a thread going about the first things that Non Canadians think of when considering Canada. Things like poutine, ice hockey, and the legal drinking age of 19 seem to be some of people's ideas of Canada. Oh, also, kindness, sweet wholesome kindness. 

1.

Text - Nardelan • 6d I live about 45 minutes from Canada in Michigan. Hockey, poutine, and 19 year old drinking age for me.

2.

Text - krystle390 · 6d 3 1 Award I'm Australian, this is what I think of when I think Canada: Friendliness and politeness, the Canadian flag, maple trees/leaves/syrup, mountains, cold weather, poutine, speaking French, hockey.

3.

Text - gogojack • 6d Back in the day (80s and stuff) we used to go across the St. Clair River/Lake St. Clair to go to Canada. The thing that sticks out in my mind is the friendliest border guards/coast guard guys in the world. It was like "hey, so why are you traveling to Canada today?" Oh, we're just gonna go pick some strawberries at that farm...you know the one. "Oh, cool! Well have a nice time, and don't forget to bring some back for us!" Once out on the lake, we got "busted" by Canadians fo

4.

Text - LegendOfBobbyTables • 6d The Red Green Show. I will always imagine that show portrays the ideal Canadian life.

5.

Text - Pingasterix • 6d the color green for some reason and the leaf thing. Also murderous geese who will someday develop teeth and destroy mankind edit: yes now i know they have teeth, too many teeth in fact.

6.

Text - Text - wwhsd • 6d 2 Awards Rush. Reply 4.5k LilithMey • 6d I went to the same high school as Niel Pert and the guys who created Trivial Pursuit 1.1k ...

7.

Text - Moon-Mist • 6d A wonderful life without effing PENNIES. Reply 1.8k LilithMey • 6d When it first happened I had a guy flip out and make me refund an entire order because I couldn't give him two pennies. He started ranting about sending a letter to Harper and that we couldn't rob him.

8.

Text - dQw4w9WgXcQ•6d 2 Awards First I picture the beautiful flag. The simplicity and elegance which makes for a perfect flag. Then I picture the map. A huge county covered in unique and interesting nature. Then I picture the mounties. Dressed in their sophisticated red uniforms, gracefully riding their horses. Then I picture downtown Vancouver where I saw a hobo taking a piss in his hat.

9.

Text - Text - GrillMaster3 • 6d The woods! Even though they're not talked about much, Canada's extensive Boreal Forests are super cool to me Edit: Now wondering how my most upvoted comment is literally just me saying that trees are neat-

10.

White - TOOLDR • 6d Ketchup potato chips

11.

Text - White - dick-nipples • 6d Lake Louise

12.

Text - Text - kevingharvey • 6d I once saw something on Reddit, not sure if it was a post or a comment, but it was someone describing how a Canadian will reach past someone at a grocery store to grab something and they'll pretty much always say this when they do: "Just gonna SNEAK right past ya there." This may not be exactly right but it's still what I think about everytime Canadians are mentioned in any medium.

13.

Text - Text - echOinthefOrest • 6d Maple syrup and the Canadian flag. Honestly that's what I just thought of. But also, I think of trees, airplanes, and Saskatchewan. Edit: the letter z (zee)... or according to Canadians... zedd.

14.

Text - Text - naterator012•6d 3 1 Award HOCKEY How in the world has noone said this

15.

Text - Text - pearbobber • 6d Phil Hartman, Jim Carrey, Mike Myers, Dan Aykroyd, Will Arnett, Tommy Chong, John Candy... So funny dudes. Yeah, I know, I'm old.

16.

Text - Text - Moosetappropriate • 6d I'm surprised no one has mentioned Alex Trebek

17.

Text - Text - nosal_peace • 6d Sorry, but Ryan Reynolds.

18.

Text - White - Herr_Opa • 6d Trailer Park Boys

19.

Text - Text - yearofthesquirrel • 6d The Tragically Hip. Watched the 'Long Time Running' (Netflix) doco last night and highly recommend it. Ain't nothing more Canadian than that.

20.

Text - Text - Mjb06 • 6d 2 Awards How South Park portrays them Reply 3.8k ...

21.

Text - Beautiful-Star • 6d When I think of Canada, I think of overwhelming politeness, even online. Here is my story. A few years back I was randomly googling interesting things to pass the time and ended up on this Canadian social group board where politics was being discussed. Tens of thousands of members so they didn't know one another personally. The topic became a bit heated and one user responded, "Everyone, please respect one another here. We sound like Americans!" As an American, I could

22.

White - DJokey • 6d The word "sorry"

23.

Text - RyanShelf • 6d A backpack with a Canadian flag on it, maybe with some fluorescent lights pointing at it, and a sign that reads "I'M NOT AMERICAN". Also polite and friendly people, and a gorgeous landscape. From the UK

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment