Friday, June 5, 2020

Moments People Realized They Weren't Kids Anymore


Someone on AskReddit got a thread going about the moments people have experienced where they realized they weren't kids anymore. As we grow up, many of us look back on the days of our youth, longing for that simpler time when worries were nonexistent altogether. Or if there were worries, they were completely silly and of little importance at all. Some of these might strike a chord. 

1.

Text - letionbard • 15h When some doctors or teachers are younger than me. Reply 1 2.3k

2.

Text - wanderingbecuzimlost • 13h I told my niece she needed adult supervision to do something and she looked me like I was dumber than a block of cheese and ask why I couldn't watch her. Reply 1 1.3k ...

3.

Text - Finklemaier • 14h At work one day when I was 19, I heard a little girl ask her mom "what's that man doing?" and I turned to look at what man she was talking about and what the man was doing, only to discover she was pointing at me. Reply 1 5.5k ...

4.

Text - LolaLoops • 15h I was really excited to buy a mop... From that moment on it all went downhill :D Reply 2.9k ...

5.

Text - ButcherChef • 15h When my actions started to change a lot people's life. "If I don't do shopping today I cannot cook for my wife and she would not have any food to take in the other day and in the next day I will be working so no one will buy food". As an example. Reply 2.8k

6.

Text - NakedKittyAlucard • 16h 2 Awards Having the "we have food at home" talk with myself. Reply 15.0k ...

7.

Text - mynameisbirthdayboy • 14h I ate a pack of fruit snacks without checking to see what shape they were. Reply 1.2k ...

8.

Text - TogarSucks • 15h In high school a friend of mine worked at a laser tag place. He got a bunch of us in for free one day. In the waiting room we had a friendly trash talking match with some 12 year olds about the upcoming game. One of them came back with "You're on! Kids vs adults!" Note: we were all 18 at the time. Reply 3.5k ...

9.

Text - ApocalypseWednesday • 15h When I saw a forecast for snow and I was annoyed instead of happy Reply 4.4k ...

10.

Text - SchindianaJones • 16h 1 Award When I realized I could never be fully relaxed because there's always some responsibility looming over me. Reply 10.1k ...

11.

Text - littlemissbookwrm • 15h My first year of teaching. When we told the kids to get an adult if there's an emergency and I realized-/ was the adult they would be getting Reply 6.4k

12.

Text - Holo323 • 14h Realising that nobody knows what the hell they are doing, everyone is just winging it. Asked a mate (one of the most well put together guys I know) if he had any adulting tips. Just came back with "if you ever find out, please tell me." Reply 1.0k ...

13.

Text - Ellixxerrr • 16h i used to be able to take days off work whenever i wanted and now i find myself having to have the "if you take that many days off you wont be able to pay your mortgage so suck it up and go to work." speech with myself at least once a week. lol Edit - for Clarification, I work as a nurse and we have our set schedules and between 3-6 weeks of vacation a year depending on where you work, your position, and seniority, etc. But I used to have multiple part time jobs instead o

14.

Text - KnarlyApplesauce • 15h I was 23, no high school diploma, and a security guard doing access control at an ice cream plant. I realized that if I didn't get out of there and do something, I would be 50 in the a flash, and not seen or done anything worthwhile. My life would have peaked at 20 and the rest of my time amounting to little more than waiting to die. Reply 547 ...

15.

Text - Vinny_the_Jackal • 14h When I lost my job (this was pre-Corona). I realized that l'd treated my career like it was school, as if would keep moving up automatically. It was a juvenile way to approach success, and I realized that if I wanted more from my life and career I couldn't just expect it to happen. Reply 542 ...

16.

Text - astronautzippy • 14h When they said, "some people will meet the person they are going to marry here" at my university welcome speech. That shit fucked me up real good. Reply 1.9k ...

17.

Text - dotdotline • 14h I was driving my sister around and I pointed out to her a building that used to be a Blockbuster where my dad would take us to when I was a kid. Then I was crying inside at the fact that I said "when I was a kid". | Reply 1 480 ...

18.

Text - Happy8Day • 15h When I was 19, I made I made a reference to one of my favorite shows from when I was 8-12, and a couple of 13 year olds listening had no idea what I was talking about. I'm learning that those moments never stop happening. Reply 1.6k ...

19.

Text - signeduptosaysong • 15h When I called someone "kid" Reply 640 ...

20.

Text - BlackHawk2101 • 16h When I had a file with all my important documents in it and it's really scary Reply 359 ...

21.

Text - MÄ°Leenalee • 15h When I was excited about a new vacuum cleaner. Reply 350

22.

Text - AncientEldritch • 15h This past Monday actually. My neighbor has 3 dogs she CONSTANTLY lets outside without leashes. We share a driveway that connects our two small backyards. I have an older dog. I went to take my girl out before work and she let her dogs out without looking. Her Pitbull attacked my dog and for 20 minutes we couldn't get it off her. At the end of it, my dog was seriously mauled, I was bit on the hand and arm pretty badly and suddenly, I had to be thr adult. I had to know

23.

Text - FizzyBeverage • 15h • Graduating high school • Losing my first grandparent Graduating college Getting my first job out of school "Here's the keys, here's the tag, here's the registration, here's your license back" Marrying my wife Having our daughters "Ok Fizzy, this mortgage will be 360 months with this much owed on the 1st of every month, we'll escrow your taxes and insurance" • Losing my dad "Ok Fizzy, these are the 12 engineers reporting to you, review their profiles, we'll pay you $

24.

Text - Syliase • 15h When I found out I had to choose between being dropping out of college and homeless, or going back to live with my abusive family. It really hit me hard that I didn't know what to do, but knew I had to do something. At the time, those weren't the only realistic options. But I was a kid and didn't know that. It took a lot of learning and making mistakes over and over for me to really understand that adulthood meant making it up as I went. I did end up dropping out of college

25.

Text - Buffyoh • 13h When I flunked out of undergrad, and I got a job in a factory building electrical machinery. I'd my reflection of myself in overalls with my toolbox, and it hit me hard that all the fun and games from HS were over, and I was not "Joe cool" anymore. Reply 96 ...

26.

Text - wormsquishy • 15h when it was Christmas Eve and i wasn't as excited and tried to get myself excited Reply 188 ...

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment