Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Landlord Won't Fix Broken Windows, Costs Them Thousands


The landlord should've just done the right thing off the bat, but here we are. We love nothing more than when a tenant comes out victorious over a scumbag landlord. If you enjoy this tale of pro revenge, we recommend checking out the time that a landlord wouldn't pay for electricity during the winter, so they got what was coming to them in the end.

1.

Text - r/ProRevenge + Join u/orangemen0000 • 311d W1 S 4 Landlord Refuses to Fix Broken Windows, Costs Him Thousands of Dollars and His Job Keeping things vague in this post on purpose. - My girlfriend and I moved into a house that had several broken/cracked windows held together with tape. The rest of the house was great and in perfect condition. The landlord promised to fix them ASAP. He kept promising to fix them month after month, with no action being taken. After 6 months I began recording

2.

Text - So, we got a lawyer and provided him with the recordings and pictures of the windows. We also contacted the City code enforcement Dept and reported some minor code violations that we noticed throughout the house. At this time, I worked for a medium-sized payroll and corporate compliance company who happened to do the payroll for the company that my landlord was the president of. Because of this, I could see exactly which laws he was breaking due to state and federal human resource and lab

3.

Text - knowing perfectly well that when shit hit the fan, they would look to him for answers. I didn't hear anything regarding his company violations for some time while the legal negotiations continued between my lawyer and his. In the mean time, the code department issued a $10k fine for the code violations including the windows and required him to fix the windows. Now, anyone who knows windows knows you shouldn't replace one window at a time, especially when you have numerous bay windows in t

4.

Text - The legal negotiations ended after the windows were replaced. In my state, due to a clause listed in the lease, I was able to bill the landlord for my legal fees to fight him on this issue. Add $5k. We are now at $21k USD in costs incurred by the landlord for these windows. A couple months go by and I notice he's no longer on the company payroll (again I worked for the company that did his payroll and compliance for his company) - when I called his company to verify we shouldn't be paying

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment