Saturday, June 27, 2020

Employee Gets Fired, Outsmarts Company's Lawyers


Those lawyers should've done their homework. Love to see an employee take the win after suffering the experience of getting fired. 

1.

Text - r/ProRevenge + Join u/Zakkana • 6h I Got Fired: Employer's Lawyers Should Have Done Their Homework... I Did. This happened to me about 20 years ago while in college. I am being deliberately vague because.. reasons. Background I got a job basically office-sitting on weekends. I showed up at 8am and every hour I checked over things, handled the occasional phone call, and then left when the 4pm person arrived. Most of the time I read, watched TV, or played games on my laptop. I probably work

2.

Text - It went on like this for years. The pay was decent, holidays were double pay, and I even had opportunities to cover weekday shifts when others were sick. One day while I was covering the mid-day shift, my boss asked me to come into his office. He told me that the evening weekday position was going to become available that night. He offered me the position which I accepted. I was told to punch out and return at 5pm that night. The reason it went down like this should be obvious. Things wen

3.

Text - still there so I called that site again to see if they were still working on it or if something else was wrong because the woman on our end who would be the one to help them was leaving soon. They did have a problem and so I hooked them up. My "reward" for making sure the problem got solved and not having to bother an upper-level employee at home, on a Friday, just after having left work? I got yelled at because Karen complained that I had apparently "ignored her log entry" about the issu

4.

Text - Things plodded on for a while with this new "normal". I tiptoed around Karen when needed, thankful for the fact I only had to deal with her for no more than five minutes. I did the stupid highlighting thing and my log entries started getting more and more detailed, even referencing Karen's calls when I had to follow-up on an issue that crossed shifts. The Firing The following summer just after I crossed year mark, I went on vacation to visit some friends out of state. When I got back, aft

5.

Text - I did a certain task which involved certain updates. I explained to him how I did it and so forth. He then told me that I had not been doing it at all and that he was firing me. I had transposed the date code of the English file for the French file which was the previous one. The newest one had already been applied anyways so nothing was wrong. It was just a reason to get rid of me. So I left the office. My state is an "at-will" employment state which means that I can quit at any time for

6.

Text - federal laws such as race, religion, etc. I thought I was screwed. So I just started applying everywhere I could. During my job search I happened to accidentally stumble upon a link about employment law. Out of curiosity I read it and discovered that my employer had shot themselves in the foot. In the employee handbook, there was a "job security clause". What this stated was that they would never lay us off and such if our jobs were eliminated. We would simply be retrained and sent to fil

7.

Text - In my state's laws, the ones passed by the legislature, I was screwed because of "at-will". What they neglected was case law, the ones determined by courts. This site cited a case from the state's Supreme Court that had ruled that a job security clause waived "at-will" on the employer side, turning it into a "just cause" relationship. This means that they had to have a real reason to fire me. The Revenge With that in hand, I sought out a lawyer. After my consultation with her, I set about

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment