Saturday, June 27, 2020

AskReddit Thread: People That Knew Celebs Before They Were Famous


Someone on AskReddit got a thread going about people that met celebs before they had their big breaks. Funny to see how fame can change some people, while others maintain that wholesome authenticity they were known for when growing up. 

1.

Text - Shaka-Zulu1 • 1d My Grandpa(RIP) owned a grocery store in Miami in the late 70s. Wesley Snipes and his friends once stole some candy from his store and when he caught them he let them have it. Since then Wesley and his friends were regulars. Once, Wesley left his bike in front of the store and it got stolen (was a pretty bad area). My grandpa gave him his old bike that he kept in the back of the store. My uncle took over in 2001 when my grandpa died. In 2007 he came back to the store whil

2.

Text - paulfknwalsh • 1d 1 Award I knew Bret & Jemaine (Flight of the Conchords) back in the late 90s / early 2000s, and met Taika Waititi a few times too - I was a big fan of his art at the time, there was one painting of someone in a bathtub that stuck in my head. (I knew Bret better than the others, because he was in a reggae band with my good friend Barnaby). As far as I can tell, they are all... exactly the same. Reply 8.7k ...

3.

Text - lizziexo • 1d This is real late and second hand but I knew someone who went to ACM with Ed Sheeran. He said he was lazy in class, skipped classes and just wanted to smoke weed, and my acquaintance was mad when Ed started getting more and more famous when Ed didn't even bother with his music courses. I thought that was funny. Reply 1 3.6k

4.

Text - BaffledAndBemused • 1d My aunt used to work with Gordon Ramsey's mother but never made the connection. Once they were out for lunch and he ended up coming in to see his mum and met my aunt in the process. She said he was so lovely and polite!! Plus my dad has a bunch of Gordon's old jumpers he didn't want anymore. Not signed or anything like that, it's just a fun family story now. Reply 1 860

5.

Text - Pymm • 1d Work in a restaurant about 15 years ago as a manager. Rachel McAdams walked in for an interview. She was still in acting school and serving table to pay for it. She worked at my restaurant over the course of the next 2 summers, serving on our patio. Still friends to this day. She hasnt changed a bit. Still bikes to get groceries. Reply 1 3.0k ...

6.

Text - calls_you_a_bellend • 1d 1 Award I went to school with Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley from Harry Potter). I was into acting too, so we had done a few school plays together. He was really nice, very chill, a good laugh. I haven't seen him since school days, but he kept coming to classes whenever he wasn't filming, was always happy to chat about the movies. Sometimes he'd need a little break from so many people wanting to talk, and would come and hang out in the library, and honestly, you'd neve

7.

Text - DaveBrubeckQuartet • 1d I knew Robert Pattinson about 15 years ago. Nice guy, friendly, a lot of fun to be with. He lived by himself in the centre of Soho, London, in a tiny one-bed flat that I think he felt like the romantic vision of a starving artist, or at least wanted to. He had a weird side. He'd say random, violent, depraved things. He was obsessed with Jack Nicholson. He never really gave a fuck, he had confidence and he was always himself, and he knew he could be deliberately con

8.

Text - sashimi_girl • 1d 2 Awards My coworkers dad grew up with Queen Latifah in North Jersey. His whole family loves her because they were about to lose their house, so she paid it off for them. They've never said a bad thing about her. (Queen Latifah, if this gets back to you, thanks for what you did for your friends in NJ. Phil's a really cool guy.) Reply 17.6k ...

9.

Text - Cows0303 • 1d 2 Awards My mom used to ride the bus to work in downtown Cleveland with Steve Harvey's first wife. Apparently she supported him while he was trying to get his career started. And then basically as soon as he got successful he divorced her for a younger woman. My mom always hated him because she felt that he treated his first wife like shit and always yells "bastard!" at the TV when he pops up. Edit: Thanks for the gold! I told my mom that the internet likes her and hates Ste

10.

Text - TentCityVIP • 1d A co-worker of mine met Daisy Ridley while on a backpacking trip, got to know each other pretty well while traveling together. She told my co-worker that she wanted to become an actress, looks like that panned out pretty well. They said Daisy was an absolutely lovely individual. Reply 6.5k ...

11.

Text - piggieees • 1d I went to college with Joe Keery aka Steve Harrington in Stranger Things. He was my college boyfriend's suite mate and just the nicest guy. His hair has always been dreamy and amazing. Last time I saw him was at a viewing of the Hateful Eight after we graduated and he still made a point to come over and say hi!

12.

Text - BigPP_man • 1d My mum knew Mel B from her high school. Apparently she always copied other peoples work. Reply 1 5.6k ...

13.

Text - ShakenSalo • 1d One of my aunts actually dated bill gates for a bit. I believe a few years before things took off for him. She said he was "too" into her or something like that at the time and weirded her out I guess. Sorry about the lack of detail! Reply 1 2.2k ...

14.

Text - klay-stan • 1d I went to high school with Emma Chamberlain. She was a huge bully in high school and pretty much a brat who thought she could get away with whatever she wanted (before she got famous). Her parents were divorced which led to them both always trying to be her friend and never actually parenting her, so they basically let her do whatever she wanted. When she said that people from her high school made fun of her because she was "poor" and that the parking lot was all bmws and r

15.

Text - MastahFred • 1d I went to high school with Post Malone. We graduated the same year. He always wore a suit to class and was that nerdy dedicated kid. Glad to see how his life turned out. I hoped nothing for the best for him and now I listen to him all the time haha. I'm just a rando to him though. We never really talked E:typo Reply 3.7k ...

16.

Text - blueshirt11 • 1d I played drums with Mike Portnoy in highschool band and am still friends with his sister and he is still a cool guy. Reply 4.8k

17.

Text - ScottishHeat • 1d Friend of mine was friends with Tom Hanks in high school and went to prom with him. He still writes her personalized BDay cards on one of his typewriters. Reply 1 10.4k ...

18.

Text - detroit_smash_ur_dad • 1d My grandfather taught Jack Nicholson in High School math class. Said he was rebellious but wasn't too bad at math. Reply 19.0k

19.

Text - Super-Homework • 1d My brother used to play basketball with a bunch of people in high school, among those who would sometimes join in was Pete Davidson. My brother said he got ripped on a ton and no one really liked him. But that might just be because he wasn't great at basketball. Reply 7.2k ...

20.

Text - veryniceduck • 1d When my dad was in the Army, he and some other army members were invited to the filming set of Saving Private Ryan. They were asked to show the actors how to hold guns and how to act like real soldiers. He told me that he met Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks during his time there. He said that both of them seemed like nice people, but said that Tom Hanks in particular was incredibly down to earth, genuine and has a great sense of humour. I know this is after he became famo

21.

Text - imbackwards • 1d I went to Junior High with Norah Jones. She was the most sincere and serene person. She was fun to talk to and she never gave a hint of who her father was. The night she won all those Grammys was very telling that she hadn't changed a bit. Reply 11.8k ...

22.

Text - Zaja123123 · 1d My grandmother and mum were really good friends with George Michael and Andrew Ridgeley from Wham! They got invited to concerts and got to sit in special seats etc. And a few years ago me and my family stayed with Andrew Ridgeley in his guest house in Cornwall for a weekend. But, they seemed to me like they stayed really nice to my grandparents and mum. And Andrew Ridgeley was very kind to my family when we met him. Reply 10.8k ...

23.

Text - 2ndbestguyyouknow • 1d 3 6 Awards I live in the town where Dolly Parton grew up, and practically everyone above the age of 50 who grew up here claims to either be a distant relative of Dolly's, or they claim to know her in some way. Everyone has their story of the time they met Dolly. It's pretty obvious, but regardless of who you talk to, Dolly has always been sweet and generous, but everything has simply grown exponentially due to her fame. Examples are the millions of books she gives o

24.

Text - RedFawn00 • 1d 1 Award My best friend is cousins with Tyler Posey. She said he was a sweetheart before his Teen Wolf days and he still is now Reply 7.4k ...

25.

Text - SuniteSideB • 1d The comments really got me thinking, there seems to be a lot of actual celebrities that stayed perceptually genuine after gaining fame... Meanwhile now I personally know a few social media "influencers" who seem to talk down to anyone that can't afford to live in LA. I just find it interesting Reply 1 946 ...

26.

Text - SaltySlade • 1d My parents went to high school with some of the family members from Duck Dynasty, and apparently they were clean shaven and had a very preppy look to them. When watching the show I just cannot picture them being preppy high schoolers, no matter how hard I try. Reply 1.5k ...

27.

Text - Patrick_B8man • 1d My father is a long haul trucker, knew James Cameron in his 20s when he was a trucker too. Said the guy was always insanely smart and would go out and basically take every engine apart and put it back together so if you needed your rig fixing and he was around you'd search him out. They stayed friends and we actually got to visit him in LA over Xmas once, now we live in Europe so don't think they talk much, but he's really smart, and intense, although not what I expecte

28.

Text - vman4402 • 1d I went to high school with Mark Ruffalo. He was nice. He was "one of those thespians". Our high school had an acting group that challenged the students to get out of their shell and do things in front of strangers like introducing yourself as the wild fairy of the woods and presenting them with a flower. We didn't talk much, but like I said, he was a good guy. Reply 1 3.5k ...

29.

Text - GudatPickinUsernames • 1d My mom is friends with Johnny Knoxville's cousin. She met him once and had no idea who he was. She said he was nice and funny as all hell. She didn't realize until years later she'd even met him until I showed her one of his movies. From what I gather he's a normal dude and pretty hilarious. Reply 11.3k ...

30.

Text - kuramasusanoo • 1d My Dad went to school with Steve Irwin, reckons he was exactly the same as a young fella. He would be away from school all the time on trips with Bob to rescue and rehome crocs all over Australia. No good at footy but. Reply 1.5k ...

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment