Sunday, May 17, 2020

Former Flat-Earthers Moments Of Enlightenment


Someone on AskReddit got a fun thread going about the moments that former flat-earthers realized that the earth is indeed not flat. We love a good roundtable discussion involving newly enlightened flat-earthers. A strange bunch, but at least we get moments like this as a result. 

1.

Text - spacedandy1baby • 4h This will probably get buried but as someone who entertained but never fully believed the idea and went pretty deep down the rabbit hole it's time. On a flat earth map circling the north pole should be an extremely short trip while circling the south pole would be the longest route on the planet. The further south you get the further apart things should be and the longer trips would take. The flat earth map really falls apart there. Once they start arguing that time w

2.

Text - hasslesass • 5h S 1 Award Hey something I can finally answer! Not me but my good friend and room mate fell into the flat earth black hole while in university. Started out as a joke but then he just fell into it more and more. Eventually I challenged him to do an experiment to figure it out ourselves. We went to opposite ends of a big inlet - bay. He had calculated the supposed curvature of the earth and figured out that from the distance between us me at one end and him at the other we sh

3.

Text - Madrea_to_you • 4h My ex husband is a flat earther. Literally nothing you can say to him will make him think otherwise. Including that damn "fifteen degree drift." He acknowledges that he doesn't think like everybody else but insists that everybody else is wrong. I can't tell you the countless hours that I wasted in YouTube rabbit holes with him explaining the logistical ways the earth is flat, and that there is an ice wall encapsulating us to prevent the oceans from pouring over. They ar

4.

Text - CounterStreet • 7h 4 Awards I think I was about 3 when first saw a globe and had it explained to me.

5.

Text - _Nyarlethotep_• 7h 3 1 Award I doubt you'll find many, if any reformed flat earthers. For people like that who are so entrenched within their ideology, the flat earth isn't just something they believe, it's who they are. They have flat earth friends, listen to flat earth podcasts, watch flat earth YouTube, and wear flat earth clothes to their flat earth meetings. Even if deep down, someone like that had an epiphany and realized that they were wrong, imagine how hard it would be to reject

6.

Text - CaptHorney_Two • 4h I got a tattoo about a year ago. The guy was highly rated in tattoo and his photo realistic style was exactly what I was looking for to commemorate my mothers passing 20 years prior. While he is setting up, he puts on the tv and the first thing that comes on is a youtube channel about flat earth theories. What followed was the wildest 4 hours I have eve or had strapped into a chair with a man going at my arm with a device that stabs my skin hundreds of times per second

7.

Text - Geno_Breaker • 4h I think my favorite recorded Flat Earther interaction was when Elon Musk tweeted at the Flat Earth Society and asked them why they believed the Earth was flat when we could plainly see that Mars is round. They responded that unlike the Earth, Mars has been observed to be round.

8.

Text - Aslzglobal2 · 5h Ah finally a question perfect for me, I became a flat earther for quite a long time and it was still suprising that I realised that Flat earthers is just straight up Stupid, because for me, the fact that we see the earth flat ia because its an illusion of our eyes. (And yes I became a globe earther again and believed In the moon landing again) (Edit : fixed typo)

9.

Text - jigitafoo • 7h When i was 5 i thought the world was infinite like minecraft and where i could not see past, i just thought the chunks where still loading

10.

Text - TrungusMcTungus • 3h I have an acquaintance I met in the Navy, who joined specifically so he could see that the earth was flat while at sea. Every day he would chart the ships location, speed, heading, etc, a few times a day so he could make a map of their path. Ultimately he realized that the path the ship was taking would be impossible if the earth was flat, based on the distance they were travelling vs their speed. When he finally got skeptical of the earth being flat, his LPO went top

11.

Text - secretlyawolf • 7h Mountains, man. There is more to the world than an endless expanse of corn fields.

12.

Text - rokiiin • 3h I'm not a flat earther, but my ex was. He believed all conspiracy theories, no matter what evidence I showed him. My ex made me watch an hour long documentary in which in the last 3 minutes the man said the world is infact a Mobius strip and that's why no one falls off. I just looked at him after that documentary and could not take him seriously. We broke up soon afterwards.

13.

Text - MadEarthTheory • 8h 1 Award Round about the time I was at the round-about, I remember thinking, round here roundness is not just on the round-about but about being round. Having rounded down my choices and choosing the round Earth I instantly felt like a more rounded individual.

14.

Text - seaotter_toebeans • 3h My husband got trapped in a YouTube black hole of flat earth videos for awhile. Drove me up a wall. As of recently I discovered he changed his mind. His reasoning? He discovered the majority of flat earthers are Trumpers with extreme political views and who agree with trumps stupid logic. Husbands flat earth ideas died that day.

15.

Text - Hadrian_Haldol • 7h I think for flat-earthers it is less about proving the world is flat but more about to prove that there is a god. And in a certain way I get that you won't let this go. So in the end facts do not matter, I guess you could shoot a flat-earther to the moon and they would still find a way to explain that this was just a simulation or whatever.

16.

Text - AngryAnchovy • 5h Former flat earthers here. It was the horizon. A flat earth could never explain the horizon. It surrounds the observer and it is typically assumed to be a circle, which we know it's not a true circle, drawn on the surface of a slanted model of the earth. That's why the earth is really a triangle. #TriangleEarth

17.

Text - Aussie-Nerd • 6h I thought oceans were a myth, sort of. When I was a kid the largest body of water was a river I could swim across. When I eventually say the Pacific Ocean for the first time it scared the shit out of me.

18.

Text - Konjuga2 • 3h There is a flight from santiago (chile) to somewhere in australia. On the flat earth it is impossible to fly this route without stopping. Yet, there are several videos of people flying this route. You only need one thing to disprove your theory and yeah that changed my mind. People still called all the videos of this flight fake and stuff smh.

19.

Text - Nerdonic • 3h I'm not a flat earther, but I think it truly hit me the world was not flat when I flew from Toronto to Singapore in two different directions, both east and west. Before that, I have this concept that the earth is round and accepted it through the (overwhelming) evidence presented to me. Maybe we should get some flat earthers on some planes and throw them around the globe.

20.

Text - NervousBreakdown • 3h I'm expecting to read a lot of "someone made me see a doctor and they found a crayon up my nose poking my brain turning me into a moron. They removed the crayon and I also stopped chanting USA USA whenever I heard it."

21.

Text - actionyann • 5h I built a flying device to take picture of the other side of the disc. But I forgot to remove the camera cap, therefore I did not got any picture of the 4 elephants, and couldn't figure the sex of the turtle. What a disappointing waste of time!

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment