Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Jobs So Bad That People Quit On The First Day


Someone on AskReddit asked for people to share their experiences with working jobs that were so bad, that they quit on the first day. Sometimes, one ends up working a job that they feel is so polluted by negativity and ridiculously unnecessary BS, that they ultimately decide to remove themselves from the environment. For these folks, that walk out the door took place on the first day. At least they didn't waste time. 

1.

Text - TheOneQueen • 4h A vacuum cleaner sales job. They explained that l'd have to go to people's houses and offer to clean one room for them with the vacuum and l'd get paid if during my vacuum demo, they bought a vacuum. Nah. I'm good. I liked the vacuum though.

2.

Text - Veganpuncher • 4h Retrieving used formwork. Ten guys throwing 20kg pieces of nail-infested timber down from five floors up. My job was to dodge the falling bits of timber and avoid stepping on nails while I did it for ten hours a day. Fuck that. No first aid guy on site, got a nail through each foot on my first day which I disinfected, bandaged and went back to work.

3.

Text - accidentallatte • 5h When I was 14 I got a job at one of the few fast food places in town that hired kids under 16. I went to orientation, where they explained the positions different age groups could fill. My job would be to take people's orders out to their cars. I wasn't allowed to touch money or work the fryer. I showed up on the first say* and was told my whole shift would be on the fryer. I told them I was 14 and not allowed to, plus I hadn't been trained on it. The guy basically sa

4.

Text - sugar_bear65• 5h Some helpdesk job. Recruiter lied his ass off.

5.

Text - BadMotherFolklore • 5h So I went to work at a payment processing office in a department store. This is in the days before OCR. A pneumatically operated machine would queue up a (paper) bill and a (paper) check, and the operator was supposed to verify that the amounts matched and enter the number into a mechanical keyboard (a very clunky lever operated device). It was a terrible environment and quite demeaning. I had a degree in computer science and this was the assignment I got sent to by

6.

Text - bubbabrowned • 4h I wanted to quit, but I couldn't since it was my college internship. I was a computer science student back in 2004 and interned at this web development company back in the Philippines. First task they gave me was help my mentor with his job creating an online shopping experience for a client. My job was to take an entire catalog and type it word-for-word into a text file so he could copy and paste it into the pages he was creating. To this day, the most mind-numbing expe

7.

Text - MogadonMandy • 4h McDonald's when I was 16. Thrown straight in to work the grill during a very busy lunchtime. Kept getting shouted at because I was making mistakes. Then after they gave me a brush that was the size of a toothbrush and told me to clean the grill. I just went in the back, picked up my bag and went home.

8.

Text - Telecetsch • 3h Wasn't the same day, took me about 2 weeks I think. I was a teenager working for Stewart's in NY. The manager there was nuts. Always treated me like garbage, called me retarded on a regular basis ("are you retarded?"), refused to train me on the register because "we need a guy to do the stocking and women on the registers." I knew I wasn't going to last long when I went in the back cooler and it was a disaster. She told me to clean it up and organize it. So I did. She came

9.

Text - SnowQuixote • 4h Wendy's. I worked a lot of fast food when I was a teenager, but being corrected on the way I said mayonnaise was too much apparently, Imao. We are weird when we're kids.

10.

Text - EhmHuts_2_0 •• 3h I started working at a Greek restaurant first day got locked in the walk-in freezer by some coworkers, got food thrown in my face, the owner threw plates at me and my coworkers for making an order wrong and I had to work from 5 pm till 3 am without breaks. Even though I was 15 at the time

11.

Text - homeric34 • 4h I was in a seconded job but was later offered another job by the CEO of the company I was seconded to. He tried to convince me to take the job without any contract or any assurance that the position was in any way secure once I assumed it and then later that day tried to withhold my salary after he heard rumors that I was resigning. I was thinking of resigning but I hadn't made my intentions official yet so I pleaded my case until they finally released my salary. An hour af

12.

Text - vvooxx • 4h I had a working interview at a busy restaurant for a bartending position - ive never bartended before and they knew that. I show up and its so busy its reservation only. They tell me my trainer called out so theyre just going to throw me in and i can just pour beer and wine. They ended up having me make all of the drinks and would talk down to me if I had questions even though ive never made these drinks before and dont know where anything is at. A customer even asked where th

13.

Text - Lucid_Indifference • 3h One of my first as a teen where they promise upward mobility, but started in sales. First day trying to sell $20 briefcases to offices, & whomever would listen. It didn't help that I cringe trying to sell anything (which I discovered in this experience). So I ducked out at around 11:30 across the street to eat an A&W lunch. When I finished, the guy running the crew made eye contact with me like I was gonna cross back & resume work. Except I had negotiated enough ch

14.

Text - alex_harold • 4h As a teen, I applied for a standard teenage summer job picking berries on a farm. Thought id be with other people but turns out I was the only one hired and half of the first 12h day was also construction/helping the farm renovate their barn. Not worth it for minimum wage.

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment