Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Unexpected Problems Colorblind People Deal With


Perspective can change when you realize you've been taking something for granted. In this case it's interesting to think about how there are so many seemingly inconsequential things that color is used to indicate, like locked doors or plant health. It can be enlightening and pretty funny to learn about how everyone interprets the world, like this tumblr thread that appreciates different perspectives.

1.

Font - eubrah 7 hours ago Being unable to see if the lock in a public toilet is red or green. It's a godsend when toilets are labelled "Vacant" or "Engaged".

2.

Human body - Ripped-Dad 11 hours ago I have to use a flashlight to tell the difference in color between my shirts.

3.

Smile - FarmerExternal 14 hours ago 2 2 32 E 2 My roommate is a graphic designer and he's colorblind. I asked him how it works and his answer was "computers label the colors. The rest is guess and hope"

4.

Human body - Detective_Me13 16 hours ago 9 2 Mowing the lawn, sometimes I'll miss a small patch and wont see it

5.

Smile - FantasticBoyReal 15 hours ago S watching the NBA after they stopped forcing teams to wear white at home. It's a confusing mess most of the time

6.

Font - mossling 12 hours ago E 2 Standing outside one late October night, watching one of the best displays of the Northern Lights that I've seen. My family is gasping at the shifting display of colors- pink and blue and purple swirled in with the more common green. I look over at our friend, who is much less awe-inspired than us, and remember that he's colorblind. I didn't mention it or make a fuss, but it made me quite sad for him.

7.

Font - FlyingPotatoGirl 13 hours ago I'm not color blind but I had a friend in middle school who was. He showed up to school very proud of his St Patricks day outfit. All green he said. It was all brown. The kicker was that he didn't know he was color blind until we told him. It was middle school so he definitely got pinched that day.

8.

Font - Knosis1723 15 hours ago I had a color blind science teacher. He brought it up when we got to genetics and recessive genes. The small town had an upside down traffic light for decades. The teacher knew it was upside down, and just remember too was go, bottom was stop. Then the town suddenly flipped it it rightside up. Luckily there wasn't an accident, he just had to explain to the officer what happened.

9.

Rectangle - Abmean14 16 hours ago Trying to pick outfits or matching clothes for my kids. Thankfully my daughter helps me get clothes for her little brother when my wife isn't around. It's also very difficult (read: impossible) for me to safely do electrical work.

10.

Human body - FutureSomething2036 13 hours ago 2 2 S 2 Trying to buy bananas... I can never till which ones are or aren't ripe

11.

Human body - KoalaKam212 14 hours ago @2 2 People asking what colour something is upon hearing that you are colour blind.

12.

Font - PondRides 10 hours ago On my stepdads behalf, I'll say that he doesn't know that the kitchen utensils are all pink. And also the time he got my mom a fluffy "pink" robe for Christmas, but it was actually green.

13.

Rectangle - Gardening-Baker 12 hours ago 2 E Not color blind but my fiancé is, he struggles with the ties on loafs of bread. The color of the tie will blend in with our counter top and I'll hear him tapping his hand up and down trying to find it so he can close the packaging on the loaf.

14.

Font - Charming_Yak6297 12 hours ago E Cooking meat! I basically only cook white meat (turkey and chicken) at home because I have no idea how to tell if lamb/beef is cooked enough :(. Oh also taking care of my plant. One of the ways to inspect your plant's health is to see the change in the shade of green of the leaves (thanks nature) so I literally have to take pictures every few days and check RGB values using computer software lol.

15.

Human body - mattimoody 11 hours ago People will get moody or upset and I will have no idea why. Apparently they got their hair dyed and was not happy I did not notice

16.

Font - Hamnesia 12 hours ago I can't read a lot of color coded charts. For example when they show rain intensity on the radar. If there's just red, green, and blue I do ok. When they start adding yellow, orange, purple, etc, it just looks like a jumbled mess.

17.

Font - blipsman 9 hours ago S Shopping for clothes... I'm not severely colorblind, but have issues with things like purple from some shades of blue, dark greens from browns, teal from grey, things like that. So I hate when clothing store tags or website color options either have number codes for color or non-descriptive names for colors. Olive Green on a sweater is great. Pine Tree and I'll figure it out. Misty Hike and I am lost. Same with 091.

18.

Font - akaka_ism 10 hours ago The football (soccer) team I support now occasionally wears a colour I can't really distinguish from the bloody pitch. So, I now watch 11 players from an opposing team walk about with ghosts as a show of support.

19.

Font - BanesButterNipps 10 hours ago E Girlfriend has gotten her hair dyed the last few times she has gone to the salon. I don't notice it. I also can't tell if there is a dirty spot on the carpet. I also worked in a file room for a financial institution and everything was color-coded. Everyone was surprised whenI destroyed production but was going by file numbers and didn't understand how I was doing it.

20.

Human body - vvhizkey 10 hours ago I can't distinguish red text from black text in Excel workbooks. Some people use red to indicate negative numbers. Drives me mad.

21.

Font - antmakka 10 hours ago When electrical devices are charging and change from red to green when fully charged. I have no idea. Simply making the charging light flash and fully charged light not flash would make life so much easier.

22.

Font - Paladin_Aqua 10 hours ago People who don't believe me and try to test me by asking me what color something is. It was funny the first time it happened in second grade. It's not really funny thirty years later.

23.

Font - Aiofe_Did_It 9 hours ago My dad is colourblind. We went to a paint night and were sposed to paint snowmen. The instructor gave us verbal instructions of what colours to use. Poor dad couldn't tell them apart. He didn't care, he just had fun, but everyone else was sure confused by his art.

24.

Font - supertuna21 9 hours ago I am a colorblind female and picking out makeup, applying it so that it looks good is next to impossible. Also, I had purple glasses as a senior in high school only to find this out a year later when I went to eye doctor and wanted to order the same color blue lenses, only they weren't blue. Picking out clothes that look good is quite a challenge also.

25.

Font - brontupistow 7 hours ago You'd be surprised how often color is the only identifier for things. "Can you hand me the red one?" or "Turn left at the brown house." I'd say little things like that make up the majority of times my colorblindness is a problem. Also, some album/film art looks awful to me, and sometimes I can't read the words.

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment