Friday, February 26, 2021

Employee Realizes They Were Used In Work Plot Years Later


Work politics are weird, and having a shady figure with unclear motives is pretty much a standard boss. In this case a guy realized that his boss hadn't ignored his advice, but used it in order to prove a consultant wrong. Sort of weird and deceptive, but also clever and effective. For a boss with a more direct approach, here's a boss who used an eye gag to remove problem customers.

1.

Font - Posted by u/Username_Tim 1 day ago O 8 9 10 11 S 5 7 My boss used me for MC five years ago and I just figured it out. oc M Edit: MC stands for Malicious Compliance. This has nothing to do with Minecraft. Story starts now: About five years ago I was the office guy for a small lumber mill. My direct supervisor was the general manager, but the owner was also pretty hands on.

2.

Font - The mill wasn't generating as much profit as the owner believed it could (he was probably right, the guy was smart as a whip with 60+ years of experience). One of the things the owner tried to do was hire an outside consultant to try and find ways we could safely increase productivity or cut expenses. The guy had owned and operated his own mill and also had a ludicrous amount of experience. One of the things the consultant had been pushing for was running the mill into overtime. He though

3.

Font - My boss asked me to run an analysis of how much we would gain/lose if we ran overtime. I did the math and gave him the results, even in the best case every minute of overtime would result in a net loss to the company. This report had taken me several hours as I wanted to be sure I gave him the right answer. My boss took it, nodded, and the next day announced we would be running the mill in overtime. Two weeks later when I prepared the end of month financial statements it showed a large lo

4.

Font - But, looking back on it with significantly more experience, I think I know what happened. I think my boss was bothered by the consultant who had come in to tell him how to do his job and then given him bad advice. The owner wouldn't listen to my boss telling him he didn't need a consultant, so he did exactly what the consultant suggested and let the owner judge for himself. As far as my report went? I think he just wanted to be sure it wouldn't cost us too much when he pulled the trigger.

5.

Font - Tom, if you're reading this, I'm sorry I was resentful about the whole affair for the past five years, my bad. Edit: Please stop asking me where/who. I'm not doxxing them. TLDR: My boss needed a consultant off his back, so he had me check to see how much it would cost us to just follow his advice. We followed his advice, lost some money and got rid of the consultant.

6.

Font - MIW100 1 day ago Yup, they got what they asked for in a way. So, did they ever figure out a way to make more money? What changed? 3.5k Reply Share Report Save Username_Tim 2 1 day ago We had too many people replicating the same task on the line. We had to space people out more to use them more efficiently. We also had some older equipment that prevented us from being comparable to most modern mills. Unfortunately reshuffling people only fixed part of the problem. Eventually the owner deci

7.

Font - BrobdingnagLilliput 1 day ago There's a serious life lesson here that I learned too late: Your boss has a boss. They have conversations you don't know about.

Submitted by:

Tagged: boss , job , work , clever , lol , story

No comments:

Post a Comment