Sunday, February 21, 2021

Dude Gets Hounded For Trivial Debt, Mails Them a Dime


If you owe any institution a few cents, there's a good chance they'll use their full financial apparatus to hound you until the end of days, bellowing "the cents, we demand the cents!" And as it turns out, it's pretty common for people to have to deal with paying back trivial sums of money to the faceless corporate monsters who demand them. All this revitalized debt talk is reminiscent of this tumblr user who got a scary money lesson. For some bad ideas with what to do with money, here's the dumbest financial advice people have gotten.

1.

Font - Posted by u/Darz167 15 hours ago 3 4 33 E 2 Paying the final balance for my student loan, or so I thought oc s This was back in the late 90's before payments could be made via websites, so all payments had to be made by check and mailed into the loan company. I know, the dark ages!

2.

Font - I had finally progressed to the point where I was able to make my final payment on my college student loans. The way this was supposed to work is that I was supposed to call the loan company to receive my final payoff amount and then send that amount in via check. They said that I would receive my final papers within 30 days showing the loan had been paid in full. I wrote out the check for the exact amount that they gave me and promptly mailed it in. After 30 days I was quite pleased to s

3.

Font - Here is where the malicious compliance comes in. Instead of calling them up and begging them to forgive the remaining balance, I decided to send in the payment coupon with a dime (yes, double what was owed) taped to it. I wrote a note stating that I hope this covers the remaining balance. Did I mention that payment coupon came with a prepaid return envelope? They paid the postage for this! I received the final papers about two weeks later.

4.

Font - Grimsterr 12 hours ago - edited 3 hours ago Also early 90s. Closed a checking account, but didn't realize I had an outstanding debit coming in, a debit for $3.27 (yes I remember the amount to this day). How did I find out about this egregious offense? A Did the bank send me a letter? B Did they call me? C Did they close the account and turn it over to collections and tank my credit rating and I didn't find out because the collections agency didn't bother trying to collect such a small sum

5.

Font - Ars-Torok 14 hours ago A friend of mine just paid off his car. After making a payment, he had $1.27 left on it. He saw this and decided to just pay it two weeks later on the next paycheck. The bank sent him an email. It wished him a happy birthday, and said that they have paid the remaining balance themselves. The title is in the mail.

6.

Font - Fandanglethecompost 10 hours ago Some years back Westminster council kept sending my boss a bill for £1.97. The 3rd or 4th time he just dropped 2 pound coins into the return envelope and sent it off. A few days later he received a receipt with 3 pennies taped to it!

7.

Plant - StandByTheJAMs 14 hours ago I had something similar where I had a balance of 12 cents on an account. Trying to be reasonable I called and was told I needed to pay it. I sent 12 checks for 1 cent each.

8.

Font - hotlavatube 6 hours ago Reminds me of when my workplace demanded I pay 3 cents for a phone call I made on my work phone to call myself. The cell reception was terrible in my office and I was expecting a call. My phone number, despite being in the same area code as my office is actually treated as a long distance call due to the vagaries of how our local phone system operates. Thus, when I called my cell phone with my office phone to check my voicemail, I accrued a long distance charge. In

9.

Font - matticus7777 10 hours ago I had the opposite, I had a bit of money saved and decided I was sick of having my (New Zealand) student loan hanging over my head so I sent a cheque for the exact amount. I didn't know that the NZ government had offered to top up any payments over the minimum by 10%. As I was overseas they spent a year trying to pay me back $2000!!

10.

Font - Firebolt164 12 hours ago Similar experience. When we sold our last home and moved we closed out our AT&T U-Verse internet. We moved to an area that didn't have AT&T service so our account was closed on the last day of the month. Apparently they didn't disconnect the internet for two days after we moved. 2 years later my phone starts blowing up with Bill collectors wanting their $2.17. I paid it but promised them I would never be a customer again.

11.

Font - enineci 11 hours ago This happened to me when I paid off my student loans. I made the final payment online and they said it would take 2 days to process. After those 2 days, I called to make sure it was finished and they told me I had a balance of 10 cents because of the interest that accrued over the 2 days that it was processing. I asked the guy on the phone, "You realize how ridiculous that is, right?" He just sighed and accepted my card information to debit my account 10 cents.

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment