Thursday, February 18, 2021

Dude Accidentally Spends $800 on Wine


Like most reasonable people, we're out to find a bargain. Sadly when your brain malfunctions over exchange rates, things can get hairy. It's gotta be hard to take a sip of anything and think "well there goes the cost of a whole pizza." At least for once in your life it's probably good to do something absurd? Here are people's reckless uses of money they don't regret at all. For some worse prospects, here's some of the dumbest financial advice people gotten.

1.

Rectangle - O r/tifu - Posted by u/Cardinal_Spear 2 days ago e15 3 18 13 14 TIFU by getting the exchange rate wrong and spending $800 on a bottle of wine M So I've been living in Japan for almost two years now and have been seeing a girl for about six months. Today being Valentine's Day, I made reservations for a course meal at a hotel restaurant.

2.

Font - Admittedly, it's not my usual style; I'm perfectly happy going to cheap izakayas and that kind of thing, but variety is the spice of life and we both decided it would be nice to dress up a little and have a fancy meal. Two course meals were already going to set me back a pretty penny, but the f k up was when it came time to order drinks. As befits a romantic dinner, we decided on a bottle of wine. I have long since decided not to pretend to be a wine expert and to just ask the servers for

3.

Font - it comes to this kind of thing. Our waiter went for the drink menu, came back with a tablet, and made a few suggestions, all around the ¥16,000 ($160) price range. Of course I tried not to let it show, but I thought that was a bit on the expensive side and swiped to an $80 alternative. I asked him if it's a good wine. "Oh, that's a very good wine, sir." I told him we'd go with that one, and he politely took the order and left. My girlfriend spent the next 10 minutes or so joking about the

4.

Font - The wine was served to us and we both agreed it was really good. She kept going with the joking, though, and it was when she said that she hoped that it was 80,000 yen and not 80,000 dollars that it finally hit me. Somehow, even after living here for as long as I have, my brain misfired and I equated 80,000 yen with $80 when it's actually more like $800.

5.

Font - By that point, we were well into the bottle and there was no going back. Needless to say, that was a shocker, but I did my best to take it in stride and just enjoy it. She was pretty cool about it too, laughing about it but also showing concern about the (for us) outrageous price. I'm fortunate enough to not have to worry about it, and I'm thankful for that, but my bank account definitely took a hit tonight. I had to mentally prepare myself for when the bill arrived.

6.

Font - Anyway, as I told her, we'll just be drinking tap water for the next 10 Valentine's Days. TL;DR - During Valentine's dinner, messed up the yen-dollar exchange rate in my head and ordered a $800 wine at a restaurant instead of an $80 one. Edit: Well this gained traction while I was sleeping. Here's the bottle for those asking, complete with wine dribbles on the tablecloth: https://i.imgur.com/Lx4PGvh.jpg ?

7.

Bottle - CAmuse Bouche 2013 NAPA VALLEY RED WINE

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment