Friday, January 22, 2021

Half Brothers Get Greedy, Threaten To Sue, Costs Them 158K


What we have here is a tale as old as time itself. Some half brothers get obnoxiously greedy, fly too close to the sun, and pretty much melt their wings off to the tune of $158K. If they'd have simply been reasonable human beings and offered some sliver of understanding in regards to the circumstances of the inheritance that was so graciously left behind, they might've actually gotten their share of the money. But alas, they took the different, ill advised route. 

1.

Font - r/ProRevenge u/[deleted] • 1d + Join 11 O 2 3 10 4 Half brothers threaten to sue me over 16k. It costs them 158k and possibly their parents' marriage. When I (25f) was 3, my grandparents passed away. They set up a savings account in my name. The account was meant to be accessed by me when I was 21. At that point it contained just over 300k. My grandparents left me a letter saying they would like me to share the money fairly with any other "Smith-Jones" children, meaning my full siblings (

2.

Font - When I turned 21, dad suggested I buy a house with my 100k. I found a place I loved but it was 130k and I couldn't get a mortgage, so dad said I should borrow 30k from the account. I did, figuring I could pay it back before my brothers turned 21, and I have been repaying it. The account should be at 208k right now, but due to me withdrawing and then repaying that money it's at 195k, so I still owe 13k. >>

3.

Font - Joe turned 21 recently, and as I was giving him his 100k, Joe noticed that there was less in the account than there should be. I explained and said I was going to put it all back before Mack (now 19) turns 21. Joe told Mack and both boys said I stole from them and owed them the full 13k back plus 3 grand of interest that they felt they would have gotten, and they wanted it all paid by this summer, which gave me less than 6 months to bring the account up to 211k. I said l'd do it, but over

4.

Font - The boys then wrote up a contract to that effect. I went to sign it, untilI saw that it said 6 months to pay it all back. I wouldn't sign as we agreed on 2 years. They said I should figure it out as they were entitled to that money and would be seeking legal advice. Later that day I got an email, clearly written by them, saying that they intend to sue me for the 16k, plus whatever is currently in the account, and additional "damages" and "emotional distress" on top of that. At this point

5.

Font - They then took to social media, saying that I was trying to screw them out of their inheritance and rallying our extended family into harassing me over this, and it mostly worked as a lot of people messaged me. However, I got a message from this guy called "Chris Smith". Chris said he was 27, and claimed to be my half brother. I had never met him before, but he sent me photos of him as a kid with our dad, grandparents, and me. He showed me that he also had an account with 150k in it, and

6.

Font - We checked with a solicitor to make sure, and as the boys are legitimate, they aren't entitled to anything in Chris' illegitimate kid fund, and as they are my half siblings, they aren't entitled to anything in my Smith- Jones kids fund, either. I sent the boys a letter formally telling them to back off, stop posting about me online, and enjoy the 50k because it's all they're getting. The day they received the letter, Chris got a PM from dad, asking if the boys can have some of Chris' fund

7.

Font - I'm getting a lot of shit, but holding firm on my decision. The boys have realised that I won't back down on this and it sounds like l've caused a schism at their house, as Joe has all the money and no intention of sharing so Mack is now feeling twice as screwed, plus stepmum apparently did not know about the other half siblings, or that my half sister was born after she and dad got married, and she's made dad move into a hotel. It sounds like dad is looking for a long term living arrange

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment