Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Man's Colleague Reports Him For Having Christmas Tree In Background


Man, it's stories like this that might end up making you feel lucky about the coworkers that you do have. This poor dude took to Reddit's infamous AITA community to ask folks if he was in the wrong for having a dang Christmas tree visible in his background during Zoom calls. Apparently all of his Christmas spirit really ended up getting under the skin of a coworker. You've got to be kidding. 

1.

Text - AITA For not using a zoom background on meetings because I have a Christmas tree? Not the A-hole I've been at my company for more than 6 years. I work in client support and used to have to go to in person client meetings (rarely). With the year it's been, I'm sure everyone knows I'm now doing this via zoom. Client calls have now become client zooms and I always look presentable in meetings for this reason. I'm not complaining.

2.

Text - What I am complaining about is that one of the sales directors mentioned that I have my Christmas tree in the background during some calls... two things: A. I do not work in sales and tbh half the calls I join, I do as a courtesy to my sales rep and I don't need to be there. B. This DIRECTOR didn't mention this to me directly, but said it to my boss. Grow up, if you have an issue go to me or to HR directly, don't get the waters muddied by putting my boss in between. So anyway, during my 1

3.

Text - My boss is on my side, but think she had to bring it up since the complaint was made. I'm not changing anything until HR officially reaches out. I also asked my boss to clarify with the sales director if a client complained or if it was some half cocked dumb idea/ perception she had. Haven't heard back on that. I was polite in all my interactions because I love my boss. But AITA here? 2.3k 3 351 T, Share

4.

Text - Awesome1296• 18h • Partassipant [1] NTA: keep the tree in frame. That dude is not important to you. Reply 2.5k ...

5.

Text - but-whyy-tho • 18h As someone who attends an estimated 15 million video meetings a week, I'm having a hard time understanding why the complaint was even made. NTA Reply 1 968 3 ...

6.

Text - rskl123 • 18h NTA- I present to you a petty solution. change your zoom background to a background that has an even more impressive christmas tree and maybe some elves... or failing that just change yourself into a foot or potato for any meetings Reply 384 ...

7.

Text - Old_Sheepherder_630 • 17h • Certified Proctologist [26] NTA but out of curiosity, who is offended by your tree, a client or the director? Not TA for it, but going to your boss instead of HR is the professional thing to do. If I got blindsided by HR coming to me with a complaint about one of my direct reports l'd be livid that I wasn't told and given the chance to talk with them and see if it could be handled without escalating. Honestly, I can't understand anyone finding a Christmas tree

8.

Text - kk_sanco • 18h NTA Its your house, with your decorations. You're not telling anyone to put Christmas trees up or anything, so I dont see a problem??? Reply 44 ...

9.

Text - MrGalax22 • 18h • Partassipant [3] NTA Something like 60% of the US is Christian but something like 90% of the country celebrates Christmas. The holiday has gone well beyond religion. They're being ridiculous until a client says something don't change anything.

10.

Text - Andrea_frm_DubT • 18h • Asshole Aficionado [12] Part B. That's infuriating! The person who has an issue should talk to you first. I have this issue with my current work. NTA. It's a tree. Reply 23 ...

11.

Text - Healing_touch • 18h I mean there's a difference between "yes this is annoying and you didn't do anything wrong" and "professionally a client lodged a complaint" It kinda sucks and feels unfair but your boss did bring this up professionally and it's a small fix with very little limit to you (there's an option to have a digital background that does it automatically for you). But yes please wait to hear back from HR and comply with their decision. I'd say there's NAH because while it's very

12.

Text - Lady_Nightshadow • 18h • Asshole Enthusiast [5] NTA. Would they ask to a Muslim woman to not wear her hijab on conference calls? Of course no. Then they can totally enjoy your Christmas tree, which I'm sure is colorful and extremely beautiful. Unless you start the conference calls with a prayer or you display offensive stuff, I would brush it off. Reply 37 3 ...

13.

Text - imarabianaff • 18h NTA, if someone's offended by your tree, then they should probably not leave the house for the next month considering everywhere you go there's a tree Reply 1 13 ...

14.

Text - Sunkisst88 • 15h NTA! Sounds like another classic case of "I'm offended because this thing might offend someone else!" Reply 1 7 ...

15.

Text - parsleyleaves • 7h NTA about the Christmas tree, but it's not unreasonable for her to speak to your direct manager rather than you. Your manager's job is to manage you, and that includes dealing with behavioural issues when they come up. The director makes managerial decisions but she doesn't manage you directly, and she would be stepping on your manager's toes by not speaking to them first. She's still being totally ridiculous about the tree though, people have stuff in their houses and

16.

Text - Teh_Hammerer • 5h NTA. If your work wants something, they get to ask for it. So if they request that all meeting require a specific virtual background, then sure. Until then, shine that Christmas tree bright. Reply 4 2 ...

17.

Text - cheesymm • 14h • Asshole Enthusiast [5] NTA but just put up a background- this seems like a really silly hill to die on. Do you really want to get involved with HR over this? Reply 3 ...

18.

Text - MonkeyPolice • 16h NTA- Your home, your rules. Your company can't ask you to redecorate your home. I was wondering if the customers were Jewish or Jehovah Witnesses but I can't image that they would be offended that someone with different beliefs had Christmas decorations. It's a tree, not a swastika Reply 2 •..

19.

Text - AmericanMadl • 13h NTA But this is not something that HR should be involved, it's totally reasonable for your boss to be part of the conversation. Sure, the director could have and maybe should have talked to you directly, but they definitely shouldn't have gone to HR. HR is not there to manage people, and this is a management question. Finally, is this something you really want to spend capital on? Depending on what you're using for video calls, it's really easy to just blur your backgro

20.

Text - GummyGummaGaff • 17h NTA They are being ridiculous, can't believe this was a complaint. Reply 4 2 3 ...

21.

Text - KT_mama • 12h NTA Part of being inclusive is allowing people the space and time to celebrate their own beliefs. Your Christmas tree doesn't force anyone to celebrate your beliefs any more than someone wearing religious clothing. There's nothing inherently offensive about a tree. O Reply 1 vVote ...

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment