Sunday, October 18, 2020

Times People Were Awkwardly Misjudged


Sometimes people are all-too ready to make assumptions about other people, and those assumptions get in the way of empirical facts. You hope someone doesn't misjudge you so publicly that they make a total fool of themselves. Or maybe you do. Everyone knows wrongful times people were misjudged tend to stick in their memory for years.

1.

Text - KillerRex666 460 points · 2 days ago When I moved to my group home at 16 they gave me a bright pink colored room and Katy perry music to get me comfortable never said anything because I was nervous as heck being in a new home. Everyone kinda rolled with it for a few months and everyone got a giant surprise when I asked for stuff from hot topic and tickets to a Slipknot concert for Christmas.

2.

Text - Danne660 127 points · 2 days ago My 7th grade class was visiting a court for educational purposes, i was a tall person with glasses talking with the teachers when somebody who works there walks up to me to inform me that the students can enter the courtroom and to go over some rules with the people in charge of the class. The thing is i was one of the students and not one of the teachers. He looked pretty embarrassed to have mistaken a teenager for an adult.

3.

Text - FakeCraig 41.0k points · 3 days ago A O 3 29 3 2 & 3 More One time in Japan I asked an old lady for directions (in Japanese). I was still a beginner but I tried my best to speak in their language rather than asking stuff in English. So this lady assumed I spoke very good Japanese and started chatting. I tried telling her I couldn't understand and everyone else on the bus was trying to hide their laughter. The conversation went on for 10 minutes and I still have no idea what she was saying

4.

Text - MAXIMILIAN-MV 32.6k points · 3 days ago My ex wife was convinced I had another family in another state. Simply because she heard a kids voice in the background when I was traveling for work and sitting in a restaurant once. During divorce depositions, i once spent a full day being questioned, and half the questions were slightly different wordings of "so you have another family/child/spouse/kid/dependent/etc."

5.

Text - Ok-Bit-9338 22.1k points · 3 days ago A bloke from Scotland thought I was Canadian Canadian, rather than naturalised Canadian, and thought the Russian accent was how Canadians speak lol

6.

Text - FreckledPyrographer 19.4k points · 2 days ago 12 I was at a dinner party and people kept offering me drinks that I continued to decline. Eventually one woman's eyes lit up as she looked between me and my husband and then she asked, "oh my gosh, are you pregnant?" Everyone around us got quiet and I laughed and said "no, I have epilepsy." I was handed no more glasses of wine after that!

7.

Text - StraightSalt7 18.2k points · 2 days ago 3 I live in a very Hispanic/Latino area and one woman heard me speak English and yelled at me for not speaking Spanish, calling me a traitor to my ancestors and bringing shame to my past family history in Mexico and Puerto Rico. Imagine her surprise when I told her I was Arab and Middle-Eastern. Still felt guilty for not knowing Spanish for some reason Imao.

8.

Text - paleo2002 15.3k points · 2 days ago Around the holidays my students often wish me Happy Hanukah. The exchange usually follows this pattern: Student: Happy Hanukah, professor! Me: Uh ... thanks, Happy Hanukah! Student: Oh, I'm not Jewish. Me: Neither am I... but thanks for the sentiment. Наррy Holidays! I'm a college teacher in a Brooklyn school, so a lot of my students simply assume I'm Jewish.

9.

Text - BananApocalypse 14.1k points · 3 days ago I sound like a major nerd and often talk to work contacts for months over the phone before meeting them in person. I've lost count of the number of times someone has told me they thought I had glasses. But my vision is perfect.

10.

Text - Fluttermun 10.7k points · 2 days ago · edited 2 days ago F Had a friend I was crushing on that I felt liked me too. We were talking online one day and he had to go to work, he says "I'll bbl and then get to spend more time with my favorite Asian." I asked, "who's that?" For as long as I knew him he thought I was Asian. Once he found out I wasn't he ghosted me. ETA: Just to say, I'm Hispanic American lol enough ppl were wondering I figured it was a good enough reason to add it here.

11.

Text - Hwhiteeee 10.3k points · 2 days ago · edited 2 days ago 92 I started at a new high school my junior year. For starters, I looked like a hippy. I have very long wavy hair and dressed pretty boyish. Everyone, including the school administrators/nuns, assumed I was a drug dealer of sorts. I had never even seen weed or any drug at that point. I got "randomly" chosen for our schools monthly drug tests several months in a row and periodically there after. People constantly asked me for hookups

12.

Text - yeetgodmcnechass 8.3k points · 3 days ago 2 People in high school assumed I was gay based on...I'm not actually even sure. And it wasn't even like them being curious, they straight up assigned that sexuality to me and refused to believe otherwise. The things they would use as "proof" were some of the biggest stretches I've ever heard. One time they took a look at my nails and were like "you paint your nails, you're clearly gay!" My nails weren't painted, it just didn't look like I clawed

13.

Text - FloorSwimming2384 5.8k points · 3 days ago · edited 2 days ago 3 That i am clever because I like to read and wear glasses. Then they see my grades and are really suprised

14.

Text - RyeDoll13 5.6k points · 2 days ago My MIL assumed I couldn't cook, even though I've been cooking my entire life and enjoy doing it. She always insisted that we go out to eat when they visited, to the extent that she would ruin our family plans because she was that adamant about not eating at our house. Until one time, after about 3 years of being together, my husband refused to eat out and insisted that I cook. After eating she turned to my husband in surprise and said, "wow! This is real

15.

Text - Ihlita 4.2k points · 2 days ago · edited 2 days ago Usually my age. I've had people guess 15, 17, and even 12 once. I'm almost 31. Guess I walked into this one. No, I won't be sharing any pics.

16.

Text - Text - katdunks 3.0k points · 2 days ago When I was 18/19 I worked in fast food while getting my degree in Psychology. I always had customers make smart ass remarks about me when they were angry and it was usually along the lines of saying I'm uneducated, a high school drop out, etc. One day there was a specific incident that happened where a customer got mad at me about his order being wrong. He started yelling at me and saying I needed to go back to school if I couldn't get a simple ord

17.

Text - Iacon_Pearce 2.7k points · 2 days ago · edited 2 days ago I have a high voice as well as a high vocal range, but people always assume I'm a woman on the phone, it's hilarious when the scam callers say "'ma'am you have a virus on your computer" and i lower my voice an octave and proceed to scream monkey noises for a minute and a half until they hang up.

18.

Text - rissaro0o 976 points · 2 days ago i'm 26, almost 27, and female. i'm 4'11" and have resting nice face. people either baby me or are awful to me because they think i'm a teenager. people constantly ask me what grade i'm going into. i get into places for free sometimes or at kids price, especially if i'm with my family and my nieces and nephews are present. it's a blessing and a curse. but people assume a lot about me. i like it, i'm often underestimated.

19.

Text - chessshark 488 points · 2 days ago I lost all my hair and eyebrows during chemo, and someone I hadn't seen in a while asked when I was getting my Make-a- Wish, thinking I had shaved for the hell of it. They had no idea I actually had cancer

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment