Monday, October 26, 2020

People Who Had to Deal with a Nightmare HOA


Most homeowner's associations aren't meant to be a big hassle, but sometimes an overzealous member can make their neighbors' lives a living hell of absurd rules about fences and garbage cans. For example, here's an HOA Karen who complained about guide dog training. There's also this bold HOA fighting strategy involving a radio tower.

1.

Text - Back2Bach 2.5k points · 17 hours ago There were 366 units spread out on over 200+ acres of land. One of the residents got fined $1,250 for putting outdoor Christmas lights on 2 trees in front of their unit (outdoor decorations being prohibited beyond residents' front door entryway).

2.

Text - jay_mee_d 24.9k points · 17 hours ago 2 S I'm being charged $400 because of a violation for a bush overhanging my walkway. I don't have a walkway. Or a bush. The picture isn't even my house. They won't back down.

3.

Text - slohara 23.3k points · 19 hours ago I got a HOA violation for my neighbor's vines growing into my yard.

4.

Text - Dispatcher12 10.5k points · 13 hours ago We got a letter because one Saturday my mom had a wheelbarrow full of mulch on the driveway. While she was planting flowers. We also got the police called the weekend we moved in because there were "too many cars in front of the house". Mostly because we were still unloading the moving truck.

5.

Text - Uncle_Lazlo 16.3k points · 13 hours ago E 4 O 2 S & 4 More My old house's backyard bordered an HOA community. Our house was built 30 years before the community was built so we weren't part of it. We used to get notices about violations and fines if we didn't correct them. Never did correct them . They finally sent legal papers to repossess our house. Went to court with a tax map that showed our property NOT part of the HOA community. Judge dismissed their suit against us and found them gu

6.

Text - TPhoard 14.5k points · 17 hours ago · edited 17 hours ago My daughter was a lifeguard at the pool in our community and they weren't allowed to give out certain equipment (it was for swimming lessons). One day the HOA president asks for equipment and my daughter says no as she was instructed. The HOA president actually says "Do you know who I am?" Then he proceeded to call her boss.

7.

Text - cantuseasingleone 12.3k points · 16 hours ago 3 When I was a kid my parents had a house in a nice cul-de-sac, but it was a working class neighborhood. The transmission in my truck took a doo doo so I replaced it in our driveway. A few days later we got a letter citing a clause stating all improvements done on property must be done by a licensed contractor. It was a far reach but they stood by it as there was nothing in the CC&Rs against working on personal vehicles. My dad made me pay him

8.

Text - sneakypandas 11.5k points · 16 hours ago HOA "lost" paperwork for change of ownership when we bought our house. They sent us letters saying there would be a lien placed on our home if we didn't pay the overdue amounts plus over $200 of late fees. I had to call them 3 times to even get someone on the phone who knew how to help me. Then I contacted escrow who said they had already not only sent all the paperwork, but turns out we had already paid the fees. Called HOA again and they were ins

9.

Text - littleblue0111 10.2k points · 16 hours ago Moved to Florida where every neighborhood is an HOA. Upon moving in I felt like I had joined a sorority or fraternity and I had to endure the hazing from the HOA. The final straw was when they sent me a letter that my white mailbox was dirty. So I decided to walk down one street and took pics of mailboxes with no doors and mailboxes that were covered in mildew and I emailed them all to the HOA. I told them to not send me any more notices until th

10.

Text - valuesandnorms 3.9k points · 17 hours ago Obligatory "not me but", a Texas HOA foreclosed on and sold the house of a soldier while he was serving in Iraq. Because he and his wife were behind $800 dollars in dues.

11.

Text - DeadliftsNRiffs 9.0k points · 16 hours ago No huge issues, just up-to-the-minute griping about every little thing. We were in the middle of moving in and got a nastygram about some boxes on the side of the house, waiting to go out with recycle. Got another one about our lawn right after it was scalped and winter grass planted. They apparently didn't approve of nature's time frame on growing grass. Moved back to the old neighborhood; no HOA, and city code takes care of 90% of the BS (weeds

12.

Text - WombatWithFedora 6.6k points · 18 hours ago I was just learning to drive and parked my car too far away from the curb. Parents and neighbors didn't get along so neighbors measured the distance from the wheels to the curb and parents got fined. Now I live in the country with pretty much no rules. We have goats and emus in our front yard.

13.

Text - BlondieeAggiee 6.4k points · 15 hours ago We had a cookie-cutter house built. One of the color palettes we could choose from included an accent color for the door/shutters that was a dark purple. The hubs and I are a little kooky so we selected it. At our final walkthrough, our door and shutters are brown. I tell the general that it's wrong and show him my contract. We were the only homeowners in the subdivision that selected that color, so the HOA decided to not offer it anymore. We said

14.

Text - SanchoMandoval 6.4k points· 18 hours ago I was putting on new siding... very obviously too, had ladders up and everything. But there was just plywood up one morning on part of my house, facing the street. I got a knock on the door at 7:30 AM, a code enforcement officer (in uniform, looking vaguely like a cop) was visibly upset and acting like I'd taken a dump on the front sidewalk or something. Told me if I didn't have the siding up by the end of the day I'd start getting fined every day.

15.

Text - CaptainPeachfuzz 5.1k points · 17 hours ago My grandparents lived in a old folks community with a zealous hoa. My grandmother had to go to the hospital, cause of her many health problems. My grand father would go with her. This happened once when I was visiting. There was a knock on the door at about 10am. Two elderly women with clipboards immediately jump into a speech about how the trash cans hadn't be brought in. I explained the situation. One of them said she was in the hospital the p

16.

Text - Inconspicuousness 4.8k points · 16 hours ago I live in a neighborhood that has a $1 / month HOA because we have a shared drive with an area drain. That money goes to emptying the area drain every couple of years. The CC&Rs are very laid back / there are no rules so I [wrongfully] assumed that would be the experience living here. The HOA president (the guy who schedules the area drains being emptied) is a Boomer on a power trip. He is in my business about everything. I got a new furnace an

17.

Text - Linux4ever_Leo 4.6k points · 18 hours ago This didn't happen to me but several years ago a co- worker told me about how she and her husband put in a small in-ground pool in their backyard. They got all of the required permits and everything and nobody said boo during the weeks of construction. After the pool was installed and they were getting ready to open it, the HOA sent them a letter informing them that it was in violation of the HOA rules and it had to be removed. (I guess their comm

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment