Monday, October 26, 2020

Gamer Accidentally Severely Bottlenecks PC For Years


Oh man, these kinds of revelations are the true humbling moments in one's life. This dude ended up learning that they'd been depriving their PC of optimal performance for years, when the quick fix was waiting right around the corner. Oh well, it can happen to the best of us, and at least it worked out in the end. Even if it took a few years to get there. 

1.

Text - r/tifu u/theRAMlord • 1d + Join TIFU by accidentally severely bottlenecking my PC for over 3 years. M TL;DR at bottom, I waffled. I built my first ever PC around 3.5 years ago. It's pretty budget but I thought for the £500 I was spending on parts, it would be pretty decent. So I follow a couple of youtube tutorials to build it and everything worked fine first try, to my absolute surprise. Over the course of the 3 years, lI've never had one problem with it other than it was pretty slow and

2.

Text - Cut to 2 weeks ago, a friend was telling me about the new RAM he just got, which got me thinking about my lil ol' PC and how it's 3 years old, and how it could maybe use a few cheap upgrades. The first thing I look at when I open up my PC is the 8GB stick of RAM (some of you may see where this is going) cause I only have 2 RAM slots, and he looked so lonely, so thought l'd look into a 2nd stick to keep him company. After a bit of RAM research, I started seeing the words 'dual- channel' a

3.

Text - cause it's magic (I'm reciting stuff I have no idea about, I could be wrong here) and that you should try and use the same manufacturer/frequency if you're going to get multiple sticks. I found the same model of RAM on eBay for less than £30 a week or so ago, so I ordered it. It arrived today. I plugged it in and immediately thought l'd try and load up something that used to crash my PC hard: a large map on Rust. The large map, which previously suplexed my pc, loaded in faster than a smal

4.

Text - capable of running the game on high, with sunshafts/ shadows on high, at an unmoving 60fps. All it took was another stick of RAM to make my PC not a piece of shit. I'm in disbelief at how my PC is now like twice as good, and at how it now feels like l've been using half a PC for 3 years. I'm such an idiot. TL;DR Seemingly badly bottlenecked my PC by only using 1 stick of RAM instead of 2. It went from really shit to really not shit 3.5 years too late. I am idiot. 30.0k O 1.4k 1 Share

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment