Sunday, October 11, 2020

Mom's Baby Name Choice Gets Called Out


There's nothing wrong with finding ways to share your appreciation for Game of Thrones. Even if the last season and that finale was some whole other kind of mess, but leave the newborn baby out of the process. Or, or if you're going to name your newborn after a character from the show, at least spell their name right. The name that this new mom settled on sounds like it'd manifest in nothing short of a waking nightmare for the kid every time they went to introduce themselves. 

1.

Text - AITA for telling my roommate that the name she chose for her baby is 'ridiculously stupid'? Not the A-hole My roommate (24f) is a big Game of Thrones fan. She's pregnant with her first child right now. She decided to name her baby, 'Arya'. When she asked my opinion of this name, I said I it was a good name with a good meaning (Arya means noble in Sanskrit), but a lot of people have named their kids Arya/Khaleesi/Sansa because of the popularity of GoT and it might be a little too common, n

2.

Text - The next day, which was yesterday, she said she's found a way to name her baby 'Arya' and not have it be associated with other Aryas running around or the show. How? She said she wanted to spell it as Aughreighyah. I did a double take reading that word too, but apparently people are supposed to read it as Augh-reigh-ya or Arya. She asked me how I felt about it and I told her that, frankly, Aughreighyah looks ridiculously stupid and she should just go with Arya. She got kinda upset and sai

3.

Text - Vixen7-9 • 2d• Asshole Enthusiast [5] Aughreighyah sounds like something I would sigh when i'm frustrated. Or something Link would yell out when attacking. NTA. Reply 264 ...

4.

Text - iamskankhunt • 2d 1 Award NTA - that poor child will have to spell her name for everyone, and correct people mis-pronouncing it. Reply 3.6k ...

5.

Text - Goody3333 · 2d • Partassipant [1] Aryah Aria Auria Auryah ... Literally a billion ways to spell it, and your friend comes up with that bs? I hope this is a troll. Reply 2.5k ...

6.

Text - lamanamalgam • 2d • Asshole Aficionado [16] 2 Awards NTA. That name is a tragedeigh. Reply 472 ...

7.

Text - i_thru_it_away • 2d 121 Awards Ask her 'Arya being stupid?' ... I'll be here all night Reply 1 48.4k ...

8.

Text - 0000udeis000 • 2d • Certified Proctologist [27] 6 Awards NTA. You should not give your kid a name that looks like it could be a Welsh town. Reply 17.2k ...

9.

Text - Pale_Natural3655 • 2d • Asshole Enthusiast [7] NTA. They are setting that kid up for a lifetime of hell. Why do people feel the need to do this? Besides, the name is still the same, so they haven't really solved the too common problem, they just made the spelling look like a cat ran over a keyboard. Reply 854 ...

10.

Text - Practical_Heart7287 • 2d • Asshole Enthusiast [8] NTA. Holy hell. And this is from someone with a four letter name that people can't spell. Reply 539 ...

11.

Text - A-RovinIGo • 2d • Partassipant [3] NTA - I used to work in a pharmacy take them out to the waiting room, call the patient to the till for payment. One woman had a complete meltdown when I called her, claiming l'd "butchered" her name. Her idiot parents had given her a name from Greek mythology -- Ariadne, which is pronounced pretty much exactly the way it looks -- but they told her it was pronounced "ARDEEN"! It still makes my brain hurt. fill prescriptions, -- Reply 1 74 + ...

12.

Text - darthhellokitty • 2d NTA a lot of people have named their kids Arya/Khaleesi/ Sansa because of the popularity of GoT Laughing at the people who already named their kid Khaleesi and then got surprised at the end!!! Reply 142

13.

Text - Dracon_Pyrothayan • 2d NTA "Unique" names foist unpleasantness onto their holders, because the general public are terrible. Arya/Aria/Aryah will still get called on in class, won't get picked on for an odd name, and won't get her applications and resumè thrown out like they will with her mother's unique spelling. Reply 48

14.

Text - Froggetpwagain • 2d NTA, Arya is not super super popular, but spelling it like that would be a TERRIBLE mistake!!!! Kids going to have to spell it for the rest of their life Reply 21 ...

15.

Text - SuperSixSumorai • 2d This is obviously bait. No normal person names their kids that irl. If, by the slim chance this is true, and they are serious, then do everything in your power to stop it. Hard NTA Reply 354 ...

16.

Text - lustified • 2d NTA. I hope other friends have also told her how ridiculous it is. A friend of a friend on my old facebook (now deleted) has a daughter named Penneigh. I may have laughed a bit. Reply 43 ...

17.

Text - ElectricMoccoson • 2d • Asshole Aficionado [16] NTA - She asked you a question, you gave her a diplomatically honest answer. Reply 42 ...

18.

Text - oh-hot-baby-jesus • 2d NTA I was so ready to call you TA (my goddaughters name is Arya), but that spelling made my brain hurt. What is it with people giving their kids normal sounding names with crazy spellings??? Did anyone see that meme of the crossed out baby names like Lakkyn and Mkkarti and Nayvvie and Ashleighley Reply 12 ...

19.

Text - Flutter_bat_16_• 2d NTA Yeah she should just go with Arya. It's a beautiful name and she shouldn't try and over complicate the spelling just to feel like her kid is "unique" Reply 3 ...

20.

Text - AlmightyAcey • 2d ΝΤΑ. However, I plan to name my daughter Arya, and I am NOT a Game of Thrones fan. It's been a name I used for all my RPG characters in video games over many years, and I know l'll get asked about it a lot. It's a chance I'm willing to take. HER spelling looks like word vomit. Literal vomit in letter form. Reply ...

21.

Text - LivelyUnicorn • 2d • Partassipant [1] NTA I would normally say you don't have the right to tell anyone the name they picked for their child is stupid but on this occasion you are so right OP. Potentially saving a kid from a lifetime of hell with a name like that Reply 2 ...

22.

Text - Mxkylah • 2d NTA. I like longer versions of names a lot. Like my name is Makayla, but if I could've picked the spelling it would either be McKayla, or Michaela. But spelling a name in detail how it's pronounced is nothing but stupid. That's like if my parents chose to spell my name Muhkayluh. Like wtf. If she wants it to be a bit different, here are some ideas: Aria Aryah Aerya Aryaa Reply ...

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment