Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Customer's Translation Fail Results In Begging Bartender For Nothing


Translation fails inspire all kinds of hilarious confusion between two perfectly rational human beings. In this case, we have a customer unknowingly repeatedly pleading for nothing at all. If you're the bartender on the other side of that mishap, do you let the oblivious stupidity persist, or do you correct the translation fail as soon as possible? Could be a tough call if you end up wanting to have some fun with it. 

1.

Text - r/tifu + Join u/pzych_ • 2d TIFU by begging a bar tender for nothing M So this story happened about a year ago, and requires some cultural context. In Ireland, there's been a recent resurgence in the Irish language, and a lot of movement to promote Irish speaking throughout the countries. This resulted in an Irish speaking bar being opened in Dublin. I didn't grow up in Ireland, so I don't speak a word of Irish- but my best friend was begging me to go with her to this bar. I relented, but

2.

Text - So we get to the bar, and she tells me when it's our turn to speak to the bouncer, just say "dia dhuit", which means hello, and she'll chat away to distract him. Our plan goes off without a hitch, and we're in! I turn, ready to ask my friend to order me a drink, to find her lost in the eyes of a boy she'd met a few nights previously. Not wanting to get in her way, I just gently shook her shoulder, and we have a conversation as follows. Me: "Hey, how do I ask for an Orchard Thieves in Iris

3.

Text - I nod and leave her to it, and make my way determinedly to the bar. The bar man comes over and says something in Irish I can't understand, so I panic, and just shout out my order. "Le do thoil!" The barman returns a blank look. I take this as him not having understood me, and decide I need to be more clear. "LE. DO. THOIL." The bar man cocks his head, and says something that I again, don't understand. Now fully panicking, I decide to just keep repeating myself in different inflections unt

4.

Text - "Jesus Christ girl just speak English. What do you want?!" "Just an Orchard Thieves!" The bar man walks away, muttering, "Why didn't you just say so?" Embarrassed my friend had put me in this position, I marched up to her and yanked her off the boy who she'd been chatting up. "What did you tell me to say?" I demand. "Huh? I told you how to say Orchard Thieves please?" "Yeah well, clearly the way you say it is wrong, because the barman had no idea what I was saying."

5.

Text - My friend looks at me suspiciously. "Pzych, what did you say, exactly?" "I said le do thoil. And I said it a bunch of ways as wellI, so there's no way I got the pronunciation wrong." "Wait," my friend responds. "You said JUST le do thoil?" "Yeah!" I replied, indignant. "That's what you told me to say!" "No, I told you to say Orchard Thieves le do thoil! Le do thoil means please you eejit!"

6.

Text - And then it dawned on me. Of course you don't translate Orchard Thieves- it's a brand name! So that meant that I was just repeating, in varying tones and levels of panic, "please please please" to this poor bar tender. I am, indeed, an eejit. TL;DR: I misunderstood how to ask for a drink in Irish, and ended up just repeating "please" to the poor bartender with varying levels of panic. Edit: for all those people trying to correct me to say it's meant to be Gaelic 1 12 7 7 12 27.8k 774 1 Sh

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment