Thursday, September 24, 2020

Man Misunderstands Common Phrase, Girlfriend's Dad Suffers A Shock As Result


It's hilarious how one simple and completely innocent misunderstanding can go on to inspire quite the hilarious chain of events. In this particular scenario, this guy misunderstood his girlfriend's dad when they were having a conversation, and basically ended up asking the poor guy if he could have his blessing to cheat on his daughter. At least they were all able to have a good laugh about it after the fact. 

1.

Text - r/tifu + Join u/ChainedEagle • 22h TIFU by telling my Girlfriend's Dad that our relationship was in decline and I would be asking his permission to have an affair. M This happened last month during a staycation in the U.K. with my (25M) girlfriend's (25F) family. My GF, her mum and her sister decided to go shopping for the day. Her dad, sister's boyfriend and I headed for the pub. We were about 3 pints in when the FU began.. GFs Dad: "OP, how long have you and my daughter been together no

2.

Text - Here is where it started to unravel. I couldn't recall the exact meaning of the phrase "7 year itch" but i thought it was meant to be a tongue in cheek question, basically asking if my GF was getting impatient about when I was to propose and when we would get married. Except, It doesn't mean that at all. Me: "Yes, in fact, I have been thinking about it more and more recently and I expect it to be on the cards soon. Of course, when the time comes, I will ask for your blessing." My GFs dad

3.

Text - After dinner that night, I asked my GF if her Dad was okay as he seemed off with me. I briefed her on the conversation in the pub. She stopped me halfway through, with a huge grin on her face, struggling to contain her laughter. She went on to explain that the phrase "7 year itch" is in fact a saying or popular belief that after 7 years, a relationship or marriage declines and often results in one of both parties having an affair.

4.

Text - So in essence, I told my girlfriend's father that I had been thinking about the decline of our relationship and when the time came, I would be asking his blessing to sleep with other women. Thankfully, my future in- laws are good people. Once I explained my FU and apologised, they laughed it off and we forgot about it :) TL;DR I misunderstood a common phrase and effectively told my girlfriend's father that our relationship was in peril and I would be asking his blessing to have an affair.

5.

Text - 1. There are a few people calling me out and calling me an arsehole for wanting to ask permission to marry my girlfriend. First of all, I would like to say this is a common and traditional practise in the U.K. one which I don't particularly agree with. That said, my girlfriends family are very traditional people and would likely be offended if I didn't ask. I am going to respect their traditions, even if I don't agree with them. My girlfriend is fully aware of this and agrees it is the ri

6.

Text - 2. Many people have questioned why the hell my girlfriends dad would ask that and they are trying to somehow psychoanalyse the situation. I have known my girlfriends dad for many years, we are good friends and often go to the pub, watch football etc. He didn't ask the question seriously and was joking. I think it was meant rhetorically and my response took him by surprise (probably the stupidity of it) and was trying to make sense of it before the girls turned up shortly and we had to lea

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment