Saturday, September 5, 2020

Fiancé Chooses Mother Over Bride At Wedding


The verdict on this particular AITA thread seems to be a collective, "dude sucks." It looks like he was more interested in the health of the relationship with his mother than he was with the actual bride. Whole lot of yikes at that wedding. 

1.

Text - r/AmltheAsshole + Join u/Throwaway331097 • 1d Aita For leaving in an Uber after my engagement party? Not the A-hole My fiance and I got engaged a week ago, It was an absolute disaster, I never wanted a party but my fiance's mom insisted, and wanted to have the engagement party at a restuarant that is expensive (to me) and made my fiance pull money out of his saving accaunt to buy a house just so she could show herself off to her family, She: Picked a restaurant of her choice • Invited her

2.

Text - She didn't even order meals until later, because she was arguing about how her favorites weren't on the menu • Lied to my parents about food and said in her invitation "Join us in celebrating Jake and Sarah's engagement with desserts and champagne" ONLY!. She said "no kids" but brought SIL's kids with her. She sat in the middle, next to my fiance, and they were both having a toast without me, I was feeling so uncomfertable and super pissed that I couldn't even hide it. My parents were the

3.

Text - We were about to leave, My mother in law wanted us to give her a ride home because BIL left with his cousin, my fiance said "sure" next thing I knew, she got into the passenger seat, SIL tagged along and stuffed her kids in the back where I supposed to sit, I found this so damn inappropriate and humiliating, I asked my fiance if he was serious, I told him I belonged in the passenger seat, But mother in law said I was being disrespectful and refused to sit in the back, and threw some | com

4.

Text - I lost it, literally called an Uber and told them to go, My fiance lashed out and called me crazy and told me to get in the car because I was embarrassing him, we yelled at each other, he refused to leave, I got in my Uber as they watched and went to my parents, cried my eyes out, and refused to answer my phone. To spare myself the shaming. It was awful, awful so awful that I regret not leaving early, I hate them all, they're treating me like trash and I've had it. I'm 24 and my fiance is

5.

Text - Cool-Tomato-5868 • 1d • Partassipant [1] NTA- This is what your marriage will look like. It will not get better. You are under no obligation to go through with it. You do not have to suffer being treated like trash then acting grateful for it. They are doing you a favor and warning you before it's too late. Take their warning. Reply 2.1k ...

6.

Text - WaDaEp • 1d • Asshole Aficionado [11] 1 Award NTA. It sounds like your fiance has a mama's boy complex. And please don't be one of those women who think that marrying him will make him shape up and be better about compartmentalizing his relationship with his mother. Nope. She'll be the 3rd person in your marriage. It's going to be a 3-way marriage with you as the least priority. Reply 4.5k ...

7.

Text - LeSchad • 1d • Asshole Aficionado [16] 6 Awards The party was for the love of your fiance's life. The problem: that person isn't you. NTA obviously, and you need to evaluate whether this is something you want to have governing your life going forward, because it will not stop. Your possibly future MIL is making sure that you know your place in the hierarchy, and if she's the most important person at *your engagement party*, it's not going to change. Reply 1 14.8k ...

8.

Text - UnsightlyFuzz • 1d • Judge, Jury, and Excretioner [394] NTA. And husband-to-be didn't back you up at all. Honey, it's not too late to change your mind! Reply 7.8k ...

9.

Text - e 2 Awards You're definitely NTA. You handled this situation a lot better than I would have. You said at the end that the whole family was treating you like trash and that you've had it. So I assume this has been going on a long time. Based on your fiancés actions in this situation, two things seem clear to me. 1 - He's close with his family (especially his mom), so you're probably going to be around these people a lot. It's not like it's an occasional visit or holiday which MAY be tolera

10.

Text - 6 Awards NTA. The real problem here is your fiancé, who allowed his mother to literally put you in the back seat. His mother is flexing her "I'm still the most important woman in my son's life" muscles by dictating how he spends his savings, who he sits with, and, crucially, whether her happiness and comfort is more important than yours. But, his mother wouldn't be able to flex that strength if your fiancé didn't allow her to have it. During dinner, and probably still, she WAS the more im

11.

Text - NUTmeSHELL • 1d • Galasstic Overlord [3015]. N 40 Awards NTA. Why would you marry someone who allows his family to treat you this way? Sounds like he's more interested in his relationship with his mother anyway. Reply 39.4k

12.

Text - kiwibird_99 • 20h I am so sorry you and your parents had to endure this straight up shitty treatment by your possible in-law. I saw possible because really and truly, even if you love your fiance, you have to remember that your not just marrying him. You're marrying into his family as well, and if they can't treat you and yours with respect AND HE ALLOWS THAT TO HAPPEN, I honestly think you would be better off splitting things off. If you do that now, you will most likely never have to in

13.

Text - DumbedDownDinosaur • 1d • Partassipant [2] NTA. Your fianceé sounds like a mama's boy to a selfish pest of a person. This isn't a good sign. The fact he chose his family over you in such a blatant manner, his future wife, should be a massive red flag. I hate the whole "break up" advice, but honestly, please run. He and his family sound insufferable and it won't get any better. Reply 259 ...

14.

Text - kindlefan12 • 1d • Partassipant [3] 2 Awards DO NOT MARRY HIM NTA Reply 7.1k

15.

Text - Wikidess • 1d •Judge, Jury, and Excretioner [328] NTA - is this how you want to spend the rest of your life? Because trust me, his mom sure as fuck isn't going to change at this point. And the fact that he got mad at YOU saying you were embarrassing HIM? I seriously hope you are rethinking this relationship because your fiance has ZERO respect for you. Reply 102 ...

16.

Text - nanimal77 • 1d •Colo-rectal Surgeon [33] NTA. Time to give that ring back and get away from this family. Reply 90 ...

17.

Text - nom-d-pixel • 1d • Certified Proctologist [23] NTA, but you have to realize that you anger is misplaced. You don't have an MIL problem. You have a fiancé problem. Reply 56 ...

18.

Text - kiralsuAlivr • 1d • Certified Proctologist [24] NTA. There are so many redflags over there. Don't stay in this relationship or your life will be hell after you get married. Reply 109 ...

19.

Text - GinnyFromTheBlock96 • 23h NTA. THIS. IS. NOT. OKAY. BEHAVIOR. You deserve so much better. If this is how he treats you just as his fiancé, not even his wife yet, you need to get out of there. Stat. His mother has LITERALLY no place in your relationship, your wedding or engagement planning and especially your future home. You future husband, should treat you with so much more respect and in regards to your feelings. He literally let her alienate you and your family from the rest of the gro

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment