Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Consultant Will Not Be Told What To Wear, Including PPE


Upon the suggestion for wearing something more casual at a job that included touring industrial settings and butchers, this consultant made it incredibly clear that they would not be told what to wear. It came to a bit of a halt upon the realization that some places have safety standards. For another work story, here's a CEO that didn't know what their departments did, resulting in a Karen catastrophe.

1.

Text - r/MaliciousCompliance · Posted by u/DanielCade 5 days ago Don't you ever tell me what to wear oc L Some years ago the organisation I work for brought in a consultant to make us more efficient and reduce waste. She was working across a number of teams including the team I worked for. For our team most of our work is office based (about 75%) but we often work in retail environments and occasionally in industrial settings. The other teams that the consultant was working alongside all seemed

2.

Text - I was introduced to the consultant and was told she'd be accompanying me on a job. She seemed quite pleasant and was very smartly dressed. I talked her through the booking process and explained the work we would be doing. I suggested that she may want to wear casual clothing rather than business attire. She got extremely angry and said "don't you ever tell me what to wear" and told me that it was inappropriate to "tell" a woman what to wear. She was unwilling to listen to my justification

3.

Text - About a month later again I was told that the consultant would accompany me on a job, this time to an industrial site where I would be testing a piece of equipment. The site would draw steel from large coils and turn it into bar. Whilst not the dirtiest place we go to its a long way from being clean. I felt this was the perfect opportunity for some malicious compliance. I emailed manager and asked if I could advise on appropriate clothing and he emailed back saying that both the consultan

4.

Text - The site was about an hour from our office and I phoned as I was leaving to let them know we were on our way (thankfully in seperate cars). They normally asked for a call so they could stop production just before we arrived to avoid downtime. As we arrived we were met by the health and safety co-ordinator for the site who did his intro. I produced my safety passport card which showed I was competent in health and safety matters. I introduced the consultant and explained she would be assis

5.

Text - Once away from the consultant I explained that if I had to log the results myself it would slow the process down. He offered me one of his staff to do it. I then told him the story of what had previously happened. He thought it was hilarious what I'd done and wanted to play along. He asked for the details of a senior manager and while I was testing the equipment phoned to complain. He said it was unfair that he was supplying staff to assist me when he was paying for the job to be done. Wh

6.

Text - When I got back to the office I was pulled into a meeting with our Director, my manager and lots of other higher ups and was asked to explain myself. The Director let me fully explain and thought it was ridiculous that I was blamed for the first incident. I also explained that I had email confirmation that I wasn't to speak to her regarding clothing. He said he was disappointed thatI hadn't at least emailed regarding the need for safety shoes or raised it with a manager as a safety concer

7.

Text - sueelleker 3.5k points · 5 days ago I'd hoped that she'd done the job and got absolutely filthy. 1.3k points · 5 days ago Sadly the outcome wasn't as satisfying as that. DanielCade

8.

Text - Anxiety-Aficionado 1.1k points · 5 days ago Being a woman in a corporate role with a similar position as the consultant you described, I find it absolutely ridiculous that she made the initial complaint. Proper clothing and PPE is something we address with both male and females when going to a job site; it's never sexualized, it's just a matter of safety and no one has ever raised a question otherwise. What a total Karen. Glad her contract was cut!

Submitted by:

Tagged: FAIL , job , work , story , clothes , safety , dressed

No comments:

Post a Comment