Saturday, September 19, 2020

Boss Won't Approve OT, Employee Works Exactly 40 Hours


Sometimes, the best course of action when it feels like the walls are closing in, and you're faced with a boss that insists on being a lousy human being, is to play out some good old malicious compliance. In this case, it sounds like it ended up working out for the employee. Even though they were fired, they basically got that paid vacation before they were able to start up with their new gig. 

Check out some more juicy malicious compliance with this boss who orchestrated their own downfall.

1.

Text - r/MaliciousCompliance Join u/Mycatsitslikehesppl • 1d Boss won't approve OT so I work EXACTLY 40 hrs/week until I tried to quit M When I was in my 20's, I worked at a tiny coffee/wine bar establishment. It sold coffee in the mornings and had a wine/beer license for the evening crowd. Its selling point was that it had food pairings for all of its drinks, both coffee and alcohol. It was a fairly new business, only a year old. It had a bare bones staff and the owner herself tended bar in the

2.

Text - free. Owner was a 40-something single lady with no food service background or experience. She very proudly stated that she invented every recipe on the menu, but her inexperience was obvious. For example, her cupcake icing was 50% Crisco, stuff like that. She came from the corporate world and had turned her hobby into a business as a middle finger to her old bosses. She was always complaining: about being single, about money troubles, about how hard the work was, about her life in general

3.

Text - Owner hated paying overtime, and got on my case any week I had any OT, even if it was 15 minutes. T had been in kitchens since I was 15, so by now I was a seasoned chef who could easily do 12 hours without even looking at the clock. This was the first place I had worked at where I had such an inexperienced boss and wasn't expected to do 60+ hrs/week. I finally had enough of her nitpicking and here's where the MC kicks in. I started noting the exact time I clocked in and, on a big piece of

4.

Text - someone ordered food after I left, she either had to make it herself or tell them the kitchen was closed, which defeated the purpose of having food pairings in the first place. She was the one who made the schedules, so it's not like I made things more difficult for her on purpose. Her lack of experience led to her being severely understaffed at crucial times and, by that point, I didn't care enough to enlighten her. She wouldn't pay us OT but she also wouldn't hire more people, so stuff

5.

Text - I decided to take the two weeks as a stay-cation of sorts. At a friend's suggestion, I applied for Unemployment since I was technically fired, and actually got benefits for one week before starting my new job, so it was like a paid vacation, which is unheard of in the food world. Last I heard, the place closed after 10 years because she wasn't making money and she went back to the corporate world. She did get married, so yay for that. I wish her nothing but the best. She wasn't a bad pers

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment