Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Property Manager Won't Return Security Deposit, Pro Revenge Ensues


What is with all these landlords and being so dang stubborn (and criminal) when it comes to returning tenants' rightful deposits? It's like, just do the right thing so that the rest of the antics don't need to occur in the first place. But alas, here we are. This guy successfully took the tyrannical property manager down by setting up a website that ended up getting a whole lot of traffic. Hopefully they kept that site up until the property manager made good on all of the payments. 

1.

Text - r/ProRevenge u/nascentia • 1y + Join Steal my security deposit and ignore me for a year? Say goodbye to your staff and reputation. This initially began as a petty revenge tale and one month later, I can finally I've "won" and I believe it ended up wholly Pro. My petty revenge tale is here. EDIT: Apparently the link isn't working for everyone so a screencap of that post is here: https://imgur.com/ R2ITWV6 You don't need to read that first, though. So...background! Around Thanksgiving 2017,

2.

Text - The month of December was insanity - list and sell the house, find a short-term rental which would accept 4 pets, pack, move, etc. A lot of whiskey magically disappeared but I got it all done and we moved into our rental house and all was well! We bought our new home and moved and the rental lease officially ended on April 1. The Property Manager followed the state laws correctly so far and we were told we'd get the $1,800 owed for our security deposit back by May.

3.

Text - Spoiler alert: it never came. I spent the next four months going back and forth with the Property Manager and hearing "It's coming", "We never got your paperwork", blah blah. I got sick of this and got two different lawyers involved and sent them official Demand Letters. I also filed a formal complaint with the state Division of Real Estate against their license. The P.M. kept telling the state investigators that they would pay us back but nothing ever happened. I didn't want to formally

4.

Text - have to give up on some of the damages we're legally entitled to seek, eat roughly $500 total in fees, and then go through that whole process for the next year, and assuming we won the judgement, then go through the collection process for another year or two. An option, one we'd win, but a big pain in my ass. So this is where the pro revenge comes in. It was initially petty...say their website is "shittypropertymanager.com". bought "shittypropertymanager.co" for $12 and posted all of my s

5.

Text - My little website caused a bigger boom than I anticipated. Basically, this P.M. has two principle agents in charge and a broker. One of the agents is married to the broker. Beneath them, they have (HAD...heh) realtors. I sent my new website to them all, everywhere I could. Turns out the partner who isn't married to the broker had NO idea that the broker and his wife were stealing money from the P.M. company. Their realtors had no idea, either - two of them quit immediately, and one reache

6.

Text - for the first time in 10 months, the broker started answering my e-mails. We worked out a deal and they're now paying us $200/ month until December, which will cover the amount owed plus the extra for our legal fees. The first check came last week (it actually BOUNCED but I made them send me a cashier's check and they have to send cashier's checks going forward, so we did get our first installment.) I've also learned that the state investigation has been turned over to the state's legal d

7.

Text - So all told, my shitty little website ended up costing them 40% of their real estate team, resulted in them removing their business FB listings, pushed the investigation into their license over to a state legal team (still ongoing), and resulted in them having to FINALLY start paying us not only the $1,800 we're owed but the legal fees I spent on top of it. Oh, and that bounced check? I made them send me a certified check for $12 to cover the bank fee for that, too. tl;dr - Property Manag

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment