Thursday, July 2, 2020

Most Useless Things Students Were Taught In School


Someone on AskReddit got a thread going about the most useless bits of information that students were taught in school. We've all been there. Just muddling through the academic grind because we have to, and already aware enough to know that so much of the mind numbing information we're being force fed won't actually end up serving a purpose out in the real world. 

1.

Text - Text - yaosio • 5h Every year I was taught that teachers next year will only take work in cursive. Reply 247 ...

2.

Text - Text - kkmate • 6h the tongue map. It's false, and they still teach it after more than 20 years. Reply 900 ...

3.

Text - Text - NarrativeScorpion • 5h "you won't always have a calculator in your pocket you know" Reply 604 ...

4.

Text - Text - Joubachi • 4h How to write a formal job-application by hand as "she had to do it that way so we have to learn it that way as well!". We kinda got revenge tho.... She (teacher) also organized job interview training with a big bank here and we could ask them questions afterwards. Someone openly asked the guy (at the bank) if that method is still done or needed and he openly said no, the percantage of companies wanting such an applications is near 0 so it's pretty much neither taught

5.

Text - Text - buzzlewebs • 6h We watched videos of earthworms mating and having babies in bio class for a solid half an hour. I am still scarred by that incident and still wondering was that necessary? Reply 205 ...

6.

Text - Text - PM_ME_HUMAN_SOULS • 6h How to play Hot Cross Buns on the recorder. Reply 295 ...

7.

Text - Text - Ilcucf80 • 6h Nutrition. When I started elementary school it was the four food groups. By high school it was the food pyramid, and by college it was myplate. They have absolutely no idea about nutritional guidelines, they constantly change them and can't make up their minds. It's way to dizzying to try to keep up. Who knows what it'll become next? Reply 181 ...

8.

Text - Text - sojojo142 · 3h I once spent a whole 5 hour lesson learning to delete a file folder and create a file folder on Windows 7 during a trade school course I paid 25k to go to. Reply 30 ...

9.

Text - Text - EatLiveDream • 5h If you work hard NOW, you can relax for the next 40 years Reply 745 ...

10.

Text - Text - bad_guy2 • 5h In RE class in high school we no joke spent multiple lessons talking about cults/ secret societies as part of the curriculum Reply 62 ...

11.

Text - Text - nancylikestoreddit • 3h I got taught that blood is actually blue. I also got taught that the tongue tastes specific things on different parts of it. Fuck you, shitty teachers. Reply 29 ...

12.

Text - Text - MooPara • 6h Math. All the highschool math I learned was pretty much useless and I had to relearn everything in university. I'm aware you can't really teach some of these subjects to highschoolers, but then highschool math should teach problem solving and not half-memorising incomplete algorithms. Reply 80 ...

13.

Text - Text - Xello_99 • 5h Advanced Mathematics. Honesty if you do not study math or something that uses a lot of math directly after school in University, you will likely never use it again or at least have to look it up again anyway. Granted, if number 2 is you it's easier to relearn than to learn. But I think the majority of people will fall into group 1, including me. Reply 38 ...

14.

Text - Text - Kuri_does_not_draw • 3h Middle school. With the French teacher. The only thing I actually learned from her was that when she was a kid she took chocolate in foil from the butcher and that she liked the houses of Venice at night. Reply ...

15.

Text - Text - ButaneLilly • 5h Algebra and geometry are worthless when taught outside of the context of real life. You could teach kids how to use math in their everyday life. When you present kids with pure math that doesn't solve any real life problems it makes it seem like 'there is no use for this besides being a math teacher' and it destroys any interest or motivation to learn. Reply 34 ...

16.

Text - Text - WardenWolf • 4h I would actually say probably the entire second semester of both biology and chemistry. Any useful life knowledge was imparted in the first half of both classes, and the second half was delving to a detail that really didn't matter. I always thought those should be one-semester classes to free up space for ones more applicable to the real world. Reply ...

17.

Text - Jandersson34swe • 5h "Homework should be an easy non stress inducing task" Yeah fucking right Reply 364 ...

18.

Text - Text - PunchBeard • 4h I spent most of my life struggling with any math beyond very basic Algebra. I never really got it and math was the only subject I struggled with in college and is why I graduated with a 3.5 GPA instead of a 4.0. I work in finance. Every day I crunch numbers and analyze huge amounts of data that involves real money, calculated "future" money and time. And I rely on zero math shit I was taught post middle school. I certainly rely on 2 semesters of Excel classes I took

19.

Text - KentuckyFriedChildre • 5h How to write in cursive, my class had hours of lessons through a few weeks of school. It slowed down my writing so much and I just ditched it realising how little people actually care about it. Reply 312 ...

20.

Text - Text - Universal-Cereal-Bus • 5h I learned in high school that the Mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell. It's not even correct. Everyone knows it was android 17 and 18 that were the Powerhouse of Cell. Reply 228 ...

21.

Text - Text - PulimV • 4h Just Pluto. I grew up knowing that it isn't a planet and then, in 6th grade (11 years old, 2017) my teacher said that they changed the definition and now Pluto was back to being a planet Reply 3 + ...

22.

Text - Redditorofgeis • 4h Social studies. They taught us about egypt and stuff like that. When my classmate said its useless information,the teacher said "just in case" someone askes about it. Well there you have it,this is the modern days now.Nobody would ask abou it Reply ...

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment