Sunday, July 26, 2020

Landlord Threatens Court so Tenant Takes Him to Court


What a splendid little example of calling someone's bluff. This landlord was completely unhelpful and thought their threat would let them illegally keep their tenant's security deposit. After getting caught lying in court, this tenant had their ex-landlord eating their stupid words. People sometimes win against their landlords, like this guy who got contractual revenge on his landlord or this person who staged a coup d'etat on their terrible landlord.

1.

Text - r/MaliciousCompliance · Posted by u/bripotato 20 hours ago Ex-landlord says he'll "see me in court." I take him to court instead and win. oC L Tldr; basically the title. Brief backstory: A couple years ago, I was in an apartment with my friend and younger sister. My sister was violent towards my friend and I, and I ended up having to get a restraining order against her. She brought in a dog without permission, which caused some damage to the unit. I informed my landlord of the incidences

2.

Text - she asked our landlord for a copy of the lease to show her uncle anyway, which admittedly was pretty stupid). Up until this point, our landlord had not asked us to leave due to my sister's actions, but he did after the lease was brought into it. We were out by the date he specified on the notice to quit (the first step in the eviction process before the eviction actually occurs). My roommate was there until midnight making sure the place was spotless. We moved to an apartment across the s

3.

Text - they don't, the tenant is owed the entire deposit. If the withholding is willful, the tenant is owed double the original deposit. The landlord had actually told me that he would be going on vacation immediately after we vacated, so I returned our keys to him and waited to see if he would send anything. He never did. After consulting with a tenant's rights group to be sure I was in the right, I sent a pre- formatted letter 16 days after we vacated, which stated the specific laws regarding

4.

Text - said he would also be taking us to court for the costs to re- list and rent the apartment, which he claimed exceeded the amount of our deposit. After about a month or two of hearing nothing back, we decided to say "fuck it" and file a small claims suit against him, as he clearly wasn't going to follow through on his threats. As the person who had almost all communication with him, I was the plaintiff in the case. He brought a "letter" that was dated for the day he texted me, where he arbi

5.

Text - occurred, saying we caused damages that were definitely there when we moved in, and just attacking my character in general. The judge ruled that the withholding of the security deposit was willful and awarded us double the deposit. But of course that wasn't the end of it, and a few days before his deadline to pay us the money, he sends me a text just "letting me know that the decision has been appealed." I didn't answer and showed up to court again, and lo and behold, it's more mud-slingi

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment