Thursday, June 18, 2020

People's Best Wrong Number Moments


Someone on AskReddit got a fun thread going about people's most ridiculous "wrong number" moments. Nothing quite like getting a call or text from some number you've never seen before, and from there, all kinds of silly nonsense can occur. Sometimes people get devious and lead those wrong numbers along too. The temptation is real to do such a thing. 

1.

Text - nickadoodledoo • 22h Someone called me Susan and asked me to come into therapy Reply 704 ...

2.

Text - Overcookedcookie • 23h I woke up to a MASSIVE string of texts accusing me of being the man that was cheating with someone's girlfriend or wife. (I'm a woman, I didn't work at the place mentioned). They were super apologetic when I text them back in the morning on the plus side. Reply 1 3.8k

3.

Text - brandnamenerd • 23h I've had a few. I got my own cell line once I hit 18, pretty much, and the number I got used to belong to a woman named Sandra I know she was pregnant as I had gotten calls from strangers congratulating me on it, and after realizing I had no idea what they were on about, would ask if I had her new number. Dumb request, imo, but I mostly ignored it. I also got voicemail a few times from her place of work, and one sounded very serious. From what I could gather, she was a

4.

Text - imrunninglate0hno • 22h Whoever used to have my number still uses it on forms and stuff. I get calls for debt collectors, dentists, etc. One day...I get a call from a bail bondsman. This lady's boyfriend has skipped bail, and she's on the hook for 50K. Scared the shit out of me. Reply 658 ...

5.

Text - whateverspicegirl • 21h 1 Award Back when I was a kid, we lived 3,000 miles away from our grandparents so we didn't get to see them very often. One evening the phone rang, I answered and had a really nice chat with my grandma for about 10 minutes. She called me the wrong name to say goodbye and I was confused and we both realized she'd dialed the wrong number. Reply 5.0k

6.

Text - PaintedLady5519 • 22h It was actually a voicemail left on my work phone. It was a woman going on and on about how the intended recipient was a "very naughty boy and he deserved a spanking." I was mortified and deleted it after a few minutes but I should have kept it. In hindsight it was hilarious. Reply 1.3k ...

7.

Text - Killer_leuttece • 22h Someone phoned my parents landline, in tears, saying that they had proof that my husband was having an affair with his girlfriend. I explained that I was 14 and my parents were in their 40s. He apologised for having the wrong number and hung up. This was around 17 years ago Reply 2.5k ...

8.

Text - hott_beans • 21h Literally today I called the wrong number trying to set up a dental appointment. Old lady on the other line "Well I guess I could get my husband to work on your teeth if you want, he's not a dentist or anything though" Reply 980 ...

9.

Text - TempoThePringleKing • 1d I remember getting a wrong number call a few days ago. They introduced themselves in a very intimidating manner, stating that everything spoken over the phone would be recorded and used against me in court. But then they asked for "Rebecca" and I mentioned that they had the wrong number. Their tone of voice COMPLETELY changed afterwards and they apologized and hung up. Reply 7.5k ... >>

10.

Text - wendall93 · 22h Whenever someone called AT&T's 411 Info line, and asked for the time of day for Seattle Washington. They would get connected with my cell phone number. I got so0o many voicemails of old people who were pissed. I got tired of answering my phone saying "idk why they listed my number but the time is 1:30 pm" The at&t guy thought I was insane trying to explain until I made him call and when answered I was like "YEPPP, it's meeeeee" Reply 4.3k ...

11.

Text - Ok_Sherbert2140 • 21h 1 Award One time when I was about 11 years old my mom wanted me to call my grandma and read off a recipe for pound cake, because my grandma wanted to make one. I dialed the number, someone answered, then I promptly started reciting the recipe my mom gave me. When I got to the end the person snorted and said uh I think you have the wrong number. I said I was sorry and hung up lol. Reply 1.7k ...

12.

Text - AdviceDoggo • 22h My area code is 906 and they were likely looking for 907+my number (because their call came from 907). I answered and an older woman just starts speaking Spanish SO FAST, I had no idea she was actually talking at first. I said "hello?" and she started to repeat herself but she stopped and I just said "sorry, I think you have the wrong number" and she goes "sheeeeeeeeiii!" and promptly hangs up. This happened two more times before she apparently fixed the contact in her p

13.

Text - -b-r-u-h- • 22h I got a call that said Restricted Number. I don't usually answer unknown numbers but this one I was too curious. Me: Hello? Caller: Is this Detective Angles? Me: Wha - who? Caller: Detective Angles. Me: That is...not me. Caller: [long pause] ...Are you a detective? Me: No??? Caller: Okay then. And she hung up. No laughter, she sounded dead serious. Clearly an adult on the other end. It was so bizarre. Reply 1.1k ...

14.

Text - Macmula • 21h Had a whole party call my number and sing me Happy Birthday over the phone. I didn't have the heart to stop them midway so I stayed quiet until the end. "Sorry guys but my birthday is in december, not june" We had a good laugh about it and that was that. Reply 1.1k ...

15.

Text - goblinmarketeer • 22h S 1 Award I got a text on my new phone that said "WYD BB Girl?" I replied "I'm pregnant" Phone rang in like 2 seconds... he was pissed when a guy answered the phone and told me I was an asshole for making him panic. Reply 1.8k ...

16.

Text - paleobear1 • 22h Someone kept messaging me looking for a Sarah. To the point where it was fucking annoying. Took a picture of me shirtless (im fat and build like a fucking gorilla. Lots and lots of body hair) holding a beer. The next text i got searching for sarah, i sent it to them. They never messaged back. Reply 2.4k ...

17.

Text - Hisnibbs • 21h I once misdialed and got a very upper class gentleman. I asked for my friend and he said "I think you've dialed a wrong number" I replied "oh, what number have I dialed?" Quick as lightning he said "I don't know I'm not there" and hung up. I stared at the handset for a solid thirty seconds trying to figure out how l'd been check mated in the conversation so effectively and so quickly. Well played sir, well played. [edit] typos Reply 576 ...

18.

Text - JLPwasHere • 23h My mother in law gets a call and is chatting away for several minutes. She gets off and we ask who it was. It was a wrong number. She likes to be "friendly". Reply 739 ...

19.

Text - jsmalltri • 22h When I was in my 20's, I met a guy (lets call him J) while out with friends. He gave me his number (landline) and I called him a few days later. Turns out he gave me his friends phone number (we will call the friend C). I ended up chatting with C via phone for several days and we made plans to go out. I hadn't even seen what he looked like, but he was just really funny and we really enjoyed talking. C told J what happened with the calls. met up with C and he was super hand

20.

Text - Catlenfell • 21h Some lady kept calling me and asking for her brother in Spanish. Fortunately, I happen to speak a little Spanish. After a while, I figured out that she was calling the wrong area code. But, by then she had told me that she was a single mother with a daughter. So, I would ask about her daughter and how she was doing in school. I have a different phone number now. I hope they are doing alright. Reply 171

21.

Text - benastoria • 21h I had this man text me asking me out to my work number. I explained that he had the wrong number, and that I'm just some guy who sells software. He was all "don't play me like that girl" so I sent back a pic of me, all male with my beard etc. He insists that I just Googled that image, and texts me for SIX MONTHS, trynna convince me to go out with him. TBH I kinda looked forward to the texts cos it was so funny. Reply 905 ...

22.

Text - Cesh1001 • 20h One time I got a call from an unknown number and I decided to answer it. Might as well, you know? Anyway I answered. "Hello? Who i-" but was cut off by the exasperated woman on the other line. "Sorry I just need to vent right now!" They clearly thought I was someone else but it's weird they didn't speed dial the number in their contacts. They went on to explain their day which was certainly below average. I won't go into too much detail out of respect (and because I don't r

23.

Text - Flying_a_kite • 23h 1 Award I made someone else say "sorry wrong number" Someone called me, I was in the mood to troll, and the person calling was a telemarketer trying to sell water toys (waterguns, slides, balloons, etc). I asked the dimensions of the water gun nozzles, then fake asked the person next to me (without covering the microphone) how big their dick was in comparison. They hung up. Reply 1 837 ...

24.

Text - JugOfVoodoo • 22h A man and his new girlfriend stole something from the man's ex-wife. The ex-wife called him about it and he hung up on her. In her haste to call him back she accidentally dialed my number. She then spent the next minute arguing with me that it was not the wrong number, that I was the new girlfriend and was just pretending to not know her. She threatened to call the cops to get her property back and then hung up. Reply 141 ...

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment