Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Twitter Users Share Their Hilarious Misunderstandings


Ariane Sherine got a fun thread going about people's most ridiculous misunderstandings. So many of us can fall through the cracks when it comes to bits of common knowledge. Maybe we're out there completely misinterpreting logos, or maybe we're unknowingly completely botching the pronunciation of names. At the very least, these moments of confusion might make you feel better about yours. 

1.

Text - Ariane Sherine @ArianeSherine I used to think chocolate truffles were snuffled out of the ground by pigs. My friend John asked the barber for a 'short back insides', and another friend thought the bow under Colonel Sanders on the KFC logo was his arms and legs! What's your most embarrassing misunderstanding? KFC TM

2.

Text - Bob Davies @bobbigmac Replying to @ArianeSherine My mum and my uncle told me McDonalds sold a special "Robert Burger" because I didn't want anything on the menu when I was about 5. I ate only these until I was about 12 when I went in with friends and realised it doesn't exist. It was a cheeseburger all along :)

3.

Pink - Joe H @joewjh Replying to @ArianeSherine Grew up with 2 sisters and when I asked why they had these shower things my mum said curtly "theyre just things girls have!" I took that to mean a certain thing for years until my wife laughed at me referring to her 'fanny scrubber'

4.

Text - „WRO Bob Blaskiewicz @rjblaskiewicz Replying to @ArianeSherine This is probably a Missouri accent thing, but when I was a kid I thought that the swings on the creaky metal swing set at my grandparents' house went "crooked" because there were "crickets" squeaking at the top of the chains. To be fair, I was an idiot.

5.

Text - Phil Tate @MangyHare Replying to @ArianeSherine When I was little I was SO excited when my dad asked if I wanted to go and see Rainbow live. I was gutted when some hairy blokes with guitars appeared on stage with no sign of George or Zippy anywhere.

6.

Text - (BVB Chris Dailly @ChrisDailly 09 Replying to @ArianeSherine I used to call Paul Simons Call me Al the Cat song when I was young. I thought the lyrics were "call miaow". My family used to mock me with this at gatherings for years.

7.

Text - Duncan Smith @Busquets99 Replying to @ArianeSherine My little brother thought that when they referred to a 'non- mover' in the chart show it meant no one danced to it.

8.

Text - lan Davies KO II @maddog_uk_69 Replying to @ArianeSherine Remember the Milk Tray Man? When the voiceover goes "And all because the lady loves Milk Tray"? For some reason my 5 year-old brain heard "A norby card..." I thought the card he left on the box of chocolates was known as a "norby" card...

9.

Text - Gordon Jackson @nobodys_biz Replying to @ArianeSherine I used to think colour was invented at the same time as colour TVs and that everything was black and white before it

10.

Text - David Inglis @dinglis100 Replying to @ArianeSherine Thought the phrase prima donna was pre-Madonna. As if she was such a pioneer and megastar that she redefined what it meant to be a demanding idol with super-diva personality

11.

Text - AMW @AMarkW1973 Replying to @ArianeSherine As a 10 year old I didn't understand why the house, in Our House by Madness was in the middle of their street. l'd worked it out by the time I was 30, they meant the middle of a row of terrace's.

12.

Text - Hannah @hesaw_ Replying to @ArianeSherine My colleague (she's 25) thought the name Geoff was pronounced GEE-OFF and had been calling a contractor that for 2 years.

13.

Text - MJ Meads @MJMeads Replying to @ArianeSherine I used to think Henry VIII was pronounced Henry Vill

14.

Text - Ags @AgsLondon Replying to @ArianeSherine When my dad told me there was a tunnel under the English Channel and you can take a train, I expected it to be see- through with lost of visible fishes.... that lasted well into my late teens.....

15.

Architecture - Phil @fatboyfat Replying to @ArianeSherine As a kid I thought this logo for the Bull Ring in Birmingham was a dinosaur with its head on the right at the end of a long neck. I mean, it's CALLED the Bull Ring, for god's sake.

16.

Text - GlennyRodge @GlennyRodge Replying to @ArianeSherine I'm afraid I have a few. Firstly, I thought that in mail order catalogues, where it said (e.g) 20 weeks: £1.89 it meant you paid £1.89 and got to keep the thing for 20 weeks. I could never get my head around chocolates and hampers.

17.

Text - GlennyRodge @GlennyRodge Replying to @GlennyRodge and @ArianeSherine In the song 'Grease Lightning, there's a line "you are supreme, the chicks will cream for Grease Lightning! I thought it was chicks all cream some sort of lubricant used in car repair.

18.

Text - GlennyRodge @GlennyRodge Replying to @GlennyRodge and @ArianeSherine My worst one is that (until very recently), I thought the three kings that visited baby jesus were different people to the three wise men, i.e. there were 6 of them. I guess I just figured that one group didn't bring presents.

19.

Text - Lucy In The Bar @shambalulu Replying to @ArianeSherine and @weeweegie Pub quiz question: Do more cars drive on the left or right side of the road? Me (very loudly): what's a moor car? I thought it was some kind of off road vehicle >

20.

Text - @mr_rich_b Replying to @ArianeSherine Thought the black market was an actual place, like a shadowy warehouse somewhere.

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment