Tuesday, May 5, 2020

AskReddit Thread: Red Flags When Looking For Jobs


Someone got an AskReddit thread going about the red flags to keep a watchful eye out for while job hunting. Taking note of these might come in handy next time you find yourself looking for a new job, and don't want to end up in a difficult situation that could've been avoidable from the get go, if you but knew what to steer clear of from the start. 

1.

Text - CollisionFactor • 6h Making jokes about overtime and "crunch time". Guaranteed it's going to be a nights and weekends are optional (but not actually optional) place.

2.

Text - Sttommyboy • 6h This was a red flag I had during an interview process once. I was doing a phone interview for an IT position and the person I was interviewing with basically changed the details of the job during the interview. Instead of the first shift hours the position promised, he immediately went into saying it would be 6+ months before the opportunity for first shift would even be a possibility. Also, he was big into asking how dedicated I was to jobs. The idea of weekend shifts (ag

3.

Text - insane_knight• 7h Couple of things. Open interviews Admittedly l've fallen for this a few times but I was young and stupid. It's clear they have a high turn over so they're trying to secure as many people as they can. Most of the time these open interview jobs don't have salaries, just commission. Refusal or reluctancy to share details over the phone This is what usually ends up in you turning up to an open interview. If they withhold information about the role (what you'll be doing etc.)

4.

White - freefall-lemming • 8h High staff turnover

5.

Text - Lord-AG • 6h 1 Award "We are a family here" which means this is how they try to make up for the shitty pay and long hours.

6.

Text - JermStudDog • 4h 3 1 Award A former coworker shared this tidbit with me years ago and it works wonders. Try to schedule your in person interview as late in the afternoon as possible, relevant to your position. If you're expecting a 9-5 job, schedule your interview for 4:00 or 4:30. You probably discussed after hours work etc during the interview, when you are done, you should be able to look around - are people still working? Is the parking lot empty? You can match up the evidence with wh

7.

Text - theassholeofalabama • 7h A employer who treats you like they are doing you a favor. With good servant leadership it should be the other way around. An unclear job description, or a job description that includes too many duties. Not being offered the opportunity to see the working areas or talk to people who would be your peers. Just generally trying to feel out whether or not they have things under control or not. I don't want to walk into a shit show.

8.

Text - every1luvsanunderdog • 7h Manager who doesn't really interview you or who doesn't take the interview seriously. They are on their phone the whole time, don't ask any questions, are too casual.

9.

Text - eternalrefuge86 • 7h Earning potential is stressed over current salary.

10.

Text - MAVERICKRICARDO • 6h If you ask them what the pay is and they start off with what you COULD be making after so much time and they start rambling about the raise process, run the other way

11.

Text - FistFullOfQuarters • 7h Any job that requires an upfront cost. This is a telltale sign that you are getting wrapped up into a MLM pyramid scheme.

12.

Text - Parienteenene • 8h For me when they do open interviews lol

13.

Text - todorooo • 7h Initially unpaid, but will result in full time offer upon completion of XYZ

14.

Text - OldMork • 7h "We work hard and play hard", it actually means all work and for sure no play.

15.

Text - RonnieVanDan • 7h 1 Award "Master's Degree Preferred" for an entry level job. Reply 14.6k

16.

Text - Hungryboystrucking • 7h Unfortunately I have worked for a couple of places that hired roughly 75+ people 3 times per week at several location just to keep up with turnover.

17.

Text - hail_to_the_beef • 6h I interviewed for a company that had a recruiter after me pretty hard. The company was just moving into my market and the reviews on Glassdoor definitely mentioned people being frustrated with the "bro culture". All of my interviews were over facetime with the managers showing up in their pajamas from home and admitting that since the company is still growing the work load was pretty much 7 days a week until you got your new team hired and running - it just wasn't ve

18.

Text - Clapperoth • 7h S 2 Awards If the job description has about 20 items of which one is "sales" your job is going to be sales.

19.

Text - finester39 • 7h "Looking for rock stars" in the job description, unless of course the posting is in fact for a position to be a rock star!

20.

Text - Mungolorian • 8h When they say you could be earning 6 figures in less than a year

21.

Text - Kakitai • 5h If it feels like you have the job before your 'interview'. I once applied to a trainee position, I got to the interview and it felt like I had already got the position and the meeting was just for details. It was weird, he looked at my docs more as a formality but apart from the excessive praise, I was never actually asked anything. I was told I would do a week trial with only travel expenses paid. During that week there was no training or anything, I heard some not nice thin

22.

Text - JustSomeFatBastard • 8h Hiring lots of people on the same position, everyone who calls gets a job. Often means the job is either bullshit or they're setting you all up to compete for the actual job.

23.

Text - Loeb123 · 8h Job description: You will be in charge of the Online Marketing. Because of that, we expect that you will also be the web- developer, photoshoper, community-manager, coffee-maker and dick-sucker. That kind of crap will tell you if that business understands the role they are looking to fill or are just expecting some kind of magical entity that will do everything online-related by himself.

24.

Text - PassMeCharger • 6h Always ask them why the person you are replacing left the job. The way they answer this could be a red flag.

25.

Text - Tantric819 · 7h Arrived for an interview not to long ago. Showed up 15 minutes early and had all my certs to prove training. Waited over 20 minutes before the secretary led me to a conference room. Waited another 40 minutes and got fed up. Quality manager walked in as I was getting up to leave. He was very offended when I told him he had wasted my time and i would never accept a position after being left to wait almost an hour while having an appointment.

26.

Text - telestrial • 7h When they shit talk previous employees. They're going to do it to you.

27.

Text - I got a call from a subway I applied to telling me my interview was in ten minutes. That was the first I heard from them after submitting my application

28.

Text - Kakitai • 5h If it feels like you have the job before your 'interview'. I once applied to a trainee position, I got to the interview and it felt like I had already got the position and the meeting was just for details. It was weird, he looked at my docs more as a formality but apart from the excessive praise, I was never actually asked anything. I was told I would do a week trial with only travel expenses paid. During that week there was no training or anything, I heard some not nice thin

29.

Text - VoijaRisa • 5h I turned down a second interview for a position in which the interviewer said something to the effect of "If your boss Emails you on a Friday night, you don't have to respond, but you know how that looks..." Made it pretty clear that they expect work to be your first priority.

30.

Text - lildewford • 6h 1 Award Requires 10 years experience, two masters degrees. Start. 8.50 hr

31.

Text - BobbySanchoas • 6h If the job ask for money to begin. Will hide it this behind "oh you know we just need 90 dollars for the piss test, and 180 for the marketing training" Definitely not talking from my scammed ass's personal experience

32.

Text - TimeToRedditToday • 5h "if you're the kind of person who likes a 9-5 job this may not be right for you"

33.

Text - Oreo_Salad • 6h I can think of a few specific examples. A) When I was younger I was in between my dads house and my eventually wife (and then ex-wife)'s parents house, kind of living both places but I was transitioning to move in with her family. We lived about 50 minutes apart. She stayed with me on occasion at my dads, too. This all becomes relevant. I applied at the McDonalds in her town just trying to do anything. Well I got a call one morning at 7 AM, McD manager says interview in 25

34.

Text - B) A job for online Apple tech support through a third party working from home. In the interview they told me they'd send me a Mac to work from and a phone to use. I was a little smarter than the me in example A, so I had questions. My main red flag popped when she said "you're responsible for the equipment and the cost of any repairs if it breaks".. Okay makes sense. But I asked "Are these new devices?" She danced around the question but I was persistent. Finally she said no, they're ref

35.

Text - Count2Zero • 6h If they ask you to pay for training, that's usually a red flag that it's a MLM or pyramid scheme. If they ask you to buy stuff on commission and then it's your job to resell it, big ol' red flag. I've had job interviews where the whole company gave me a weird vibe - lots of psychology questions like "do you like to be in control?" while sitting in an office building with zero privacy - all of the offices had glass walls, so everyone could see everyone else. Needless to say

36.

Text - mecromace • 5h I had a team lead interview me for a contract once say bluntly, "you don't want to work here; it's horrible". He was right and still undersold the experience somehow.

37.

Text - gothmombietings • 5h "We are family around here!" Means they are ready to gaslight the living hell out of you.

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment