Saturday, February 6, 2021

People's Experiences Telling Jokes At Job Interviews


Sometimes you find yourself trying to break the ice at an otherwise rigid job interview with a good old fashioned joke. Whether or not the job interviewer on the other side of the table is going to be down with the humor is the real question. The folks in this AskReddit thread tell their experiences with trying to crack jokes at job interviews. 

1.

Font - MrStickySpaz • 2h The hiring manager interviewing me said "The job is great most days, but there are the days where you will wanna pull your hair out." He was bald so I said "That must've happened to you already." He had a great sense of humor so him and the trainee manager sitting in on the interview laughed and he told me at the end of the interview my personality and credentials were exactly what they were looking for. I got the job and left after 3 months because it really did make me

2.

Font - cascading_disruption · 2h Q: "How long were you in your last position?" A: "I'd say my biggest weakness is my listening skills." G Reply 1 683 ...

3.

Organism - joenastyness · 3h They asked me to tell them a joke (Ice cream parlor). On the spot, the only thing that came to my head was "why do gorillas have large nostrils? Because they have such big fingers". They looked at me in awkward silence and I told them I didn't want the job anyway. G Reply 1 601 ...

4.

Organism - Jicle123 · 2h 3 2 Awards Printed my resume accidentally on cardstock. (Thought it was resume paper). Interviewer, while turning it around in his hands, "wow this is some thick paper." I said, "makes it harder to crumple up." He laughed. I got the job. G Reply 307 + ...

5.

Font - edgarpickle · 2h I worked at a middle school for a decade. The high school we fed was right across the parking lot. My wife worked there as the Spanish teacher. So when a position came up there, I thought, "why not?" | interviewed. They all knew me. They knew my wife. So when, at the end of the interview they asked me if I had any questions, I asked, "Yeah, does that cute Spanish teacher still work here?" Principal laughed. Assistant principal laughed. Central office person freaked out. I

6.

Font - Subbend · 4h At the end of an interview I did in college for an internship, the three interviewers said they ask the interviewee at the end to either sing a song or tell a joke. I opted for telling a joke. I told my favorite, cleanest joke ever. Why does a chicken coup have two doors? Because if it had four doors... It would be a chicken sedan*! Anyway. The internship involved working with kids and I think they wanted to see how quickly we could entertain a child without any planning real

7.

Font - RightlnThePleb• 3h I was at an interview for an office job at a large mine. They were discussing the different projects they had going on, from ecology to the deepest part of the mine. I didn't realise there was so much involved and said "There really is a lot going on beneath the surface!". Both interviewers just looked at me and started giggling. G Reply 1 133 3 ...

8.

Organism - sprezzatura327 · 3h The CEO and head of HR took me for a lunch interview, and the CEO made an offhand comment that he didn't get enough taco sauce. "I'll give you some of mine if you give me the job!" He laughed, the HR head laughed, I laughed. I got the job. G Reply 1 232 ...

9.

Font - NotLifeLike · 6h I had an interview that I was already bombing, then they asked how I do under pressure... I responded with "Not well apparently." Didnt get it. G Reply 621 3 ...

10.

Font - Scottzilla90 • 2h As a 6'6" 260lb man interviewed for a job in Asia and the last question they asked me was "what do you think will be the hardest thing about moving to (x) city?" Having had a look around town for a belt and trousers I realised that Asian sized clothing would never fit me so I just responded with "Honestly? .. I think the hardest thing about moving here will be finding a piece of clothing that fits me" they had a good chuckle and I got the job. .... ... G Reply 41 ...

11.

Font - bomberblu • 3h By the time I said "The Aristocrats!" I was already back in the parking lot Reply 334 ...

12.

Font - rokevoney · 4h I interview many high value (c.+80% PhD) candidates and those with humour are the stand outs. Its easy to spot an academically talented person, but in most jobs you (they) are going to be dealing with humans. For this, humour is a necessity. Being able to laugh and/or crack a joke is a strong indicator of a person who can roll with the punches. This is especially true for those candidates who have just left the warm blanket of University. I was lucky, my prof was a Gordon R

13.

Font - lommen2 · 6h 2 Awards When asked "What are your weaknesses?" I said "I'm terrible at interviews." I got the job. G Reply 1 791 •..

14.

Font - CertainlyAmbivalent · 7h I was in a group interview and after I told them I planned to go back to school online for another degree one guy gleefully suggested University of Phoenix and I responded? "No, l'll probably go to a real college." Everyone laughed except for him. G Reply 189 ...

15.

Font - codefeablization · 2h I was being interviewed for a sales position at a floor covering company. My dad had been in the industry for years and had a loose acquaintance with the individual who was interviewing me. At the end of the interview, I told him that my Dad told me everything I needed to know about carpet just before the interview. He said, "oh yeah, what was that?" My response, "fuzzy side up." He called later that day and offered me the job. G Reply 1 72 ...

16.

Organism - Weekly611 · 2h After I mentioned it, they asked me why I hadn't put my Masters degree on my resume. I said it didn't seem relevant unless they wanted me to write them a novel. I was being interviewed by four senior managers and they all bursted out laughing. Stung a bit, tbh. G Reply 30 ...

17.

Font - socksynotgoogleable · 2h Q: "Are you the sort of person who loves coming into work in the morning, or the type that dreads it?" A: "Well, if work was fun, then I would have to pay you." Did not get the job. G Reply 56 3 +

18.

Font - crackhousebob · 2h It did not go well when I opened up the interview with a joke. Dude then spent the next 20 minutes staring out the window while I blabbed on.... G Reply 1 19 ...

19.

Smile - shmartyparty · 4h Not me but daughter's (20) BF (20) went for a job interview at an assembly plant. When asked what experience he has, he said he used to play with Lego. Yes, it was supposed to be a joke and no, he didn't get the job. Lol 6 Reply 46 ...

20.

Font - inaminamermaid • 1h For my current job, the (now former) manager asked me if I had kids or if I was planning on having kids. I told her, "No, I eat babies." because I knew that was a bullshit question she shouldn't be asking. She thought it was hilarious. I should have taken that as a sign of what kind of manager she was. After I was hired, she proceeded to tell everybody she ever introduced me to that I eat babies. Her role ended up getting eliminated a little over a year later. Longest

21.

Font - SpectralSheep· 3h 1 Award I had an apprenticeship interview a few years ago, during which I made a drug related joke. I had to sit and talk to a panel of like seven or eight guys in the industry, and before we started, one guy asked who wanted a coke so he could grab them. I said something something the lines of "only if it's the good kind." One of the panel members asked me to clarify, so I said I meant diet or regular. A couple of the guys started laughing and the interview went pretty

22.

Font - goat_fab • 2h Just told a joke in an interview I had a few days ago. They posed an intentionally, deceptively simple technical question which threw me off my feet at first. When I realized I was overlooking the easy response, we all laughed at my embarrassment and they said "That was just for our entertainment, don't worry." | responded with "well, my recruiter did describe me as a 'laughing stock". It went over well. It's all about knowing the room. G Reply 1 12 5 •..

23. Follow us over on Instagram for some more prime fails and memes!

Font - FAILBlog Follow us on O Instagram

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment