Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Moments People Realized Their Jobs Were Toxic


Sometimes during the job interview process you unfortunately overlook the glaring red flags. As a result you can find yourself entrenched in a gig that seems to slowly yet consistently drain your soul. Life is far too short to put up with a toxic workplace environment. There are numerous opportunities out there. Sometimes they're hard to find, but the amount of good it'll do your mental health to remove yourself from a job that's occupied by toxic energy vampires is priceless. 

1.

Text - O 2 Awards It wasn't always. I was fortunate to have a boss who took his role as a mentor very seriously. He wanted us to learn, improve, etc. and he was kind about it. He'd reward good work, correct you when you made a mistake, yell at you/scold you only when you really deserved it, and would admit when HE made a mistake. He retired and left the company in the hands of a dude who was an absolute asshole. Completely the opposite. He wouldn't reward good work - if you did something that wa

2.

Text - He yelled at me over a bill, misspelling my very simple name in a follow-up email. (I have one of those names that has a common spelling and an accepted, but slightly less common spelling like Steven/Stephen. He used the wrong one.) The next most senior partner reported that HE had put the objectionable items into the bill after I had prepared it. Asshole didn't care. I quit. A lot of other people quit. Theard a year later that literally everyone had quit. They hired new people, including

3.

Text - the-cschnepf • 20h 8 2 Awards I had a job where my girlfriend's Mother was my boss, so I guess the moment I realized my workplace was toxic was when my girlfriend cheated on me and then my girlfriend's Mom hired the guy she cheated on me with. In hindsight, probably more than just the workplace was toxic Reply 1.9k 3 ...

4.

Text - thrown12212020 • 19h When our boss got into a screaming match with one of the managers (his daughter) in the middle of the office. l'd just started there 3 weeks ago and it was absolutely mind boggling to watch. I looked around at my coworkers and everyone was just looking away, doing their best to stay quiet and not look at either of them. Person at the desk next to mine saw my shocked face and whispered "they do this a lot. Just ignore it." Reply 458 ...

5.

Text - wearsAtrenchcoat · 19h One of my job's metrics for how our performance is graded by is "on time departure". We get so many points if we're within -10, -5, 0, 5 or 10 min from scheduled. People try to cheat by tampering with the clocks and that's a punishable offense. I was good at leaving early or on time most of the times. Got a call one day to warn me that I was under investigation because Ihad the most points in the company. They assumed that I was cheating, that's when I knew I had to

6.

Text - solar-shock • 20h When someone was called into the manager's office, then returned to box up their desk and leave. When I asked the manager if she was okay, I was told, "We don't talk about people after they leave." If someone quit or was fired, they were just never mentioned again. It was creepy AF. Reply 1.7k

7.

Text - jonahvsthewhale · 20h My wife works at a deli that mostly employs people that are either in high school or older retired people that are just bored and want something to do. The disparity of maturity creates a lot of workplace drama. I kid you not, there is some 18-year-old girl who works there with her mother, and if you cross this chick she will tell her mom. My wife is also starting to get chewed out for things that her manager forgot to do like ordering food Q Reply 290 ...

8.

Text - Earthwick • 20h They fired a new father the day before Christmas eve because he missed a month of work due to his wife getting very sick after giving birth, he didn't try to get medical leave or anything because he was worried about his wife and taking care of his newborn. Second one was When I sat in on a leadership meeting, I worked at the time as almost a bridge between two sides of the company and all the leaders did was Gossip about their employees and talk about who they wished they

9.

Text - lilsunflowers· 20h My parents sent a Halloween care package full of candy to my workplace, written to "the care of lilsunflowers". Next time I was at work, I couldn't find the package – later was told it was opened and all the candy had been eaten Reply 584 ...

10.

Text - greenoakofenglish · 20h When the line "You're only as good as your last mistake" popped into my head, and I realized that explained everything about how I was treated in that toxic office. It didn't matter how many things I did well, or effectively; one mistake and that's all anyone held on to. Also I was hazed my first year there and when I tried to ask about addressing some of the office culture the director shrugged and said "That's just the [name of college] way." Yes. This was a very

11.

Text - ghost-0427 · 19h We reached a point where we regularly had to wait to cash our paychecks. We basically were told we had to get orders completed and paid for, in order for the account to have enough money to pay us. During this time, the boss went on a vacation which was just great for morale. My manager had to take a day off, effectively putting me in charge for the day. I texted my manager, "What should I do if the IRS shows up? lol". 2 hours later an IRS agent did stop in looking for my

12.

Text - RedditPrat • 20h My realization came late. I got laid off from a job with good pay and benefits, but I was dealing with long hours, high stress, a department with low morale, and a hands-off manager who seemed to care more about the company than me. Even though the place was toxic, I was sad to leave. I'd been there for years, and the job was in a field I know a lot about. A few days after the layoff, I attended an event not far from the building I worked in. When I saw the building, the

13.

Text - monkwren · 20h When I realized there was no policy in place for dealing with aggressive clients, while regularly intaking aggressive clients. Like, are we just supposed to let them hit each other? Call the cops on a pair of 8yos? What? Ain't none of us trained for physical restraints, so legally we can't really do much. Am glad I don't work there anymore. Reply 1 262 3 ...

14.

Text - EIToberino • 19h I had a job as an industrial engineer that I really liked for 6 years. The guy who made it toxic wasn't even my boss. He was the operations manager of the building where I was domiciled, but I didn't report to him. When he started, my boss told him I was there to help him out with anything he needed. Well, a couple weeks into him working there, "what he needed" was for me to cover a Sunday shift that started at 6 AM (the reason there was a need for a Sunday shift was beca

15.

Text - Thorbork • 20h When the union told me "These are solid prooves of harassment, but unfortunately the only way to win is to pay a lawyer and go on a trial against your bosses. And they are rich, well known and you are a foreigner. You have no chances and all I van advise you is to quit." # QReply 4 311 3 ...

16.

Text - Rollswetlogs · 19h High turnover was always the first sign. Q Reply 195 ... +

17.

Text - MegaMapleNachos • 16h When I found out you have to take EXACTLY 30 minutes on your lunch break, otherwise get written up. Greedy fuckers! I figured "Alright then, l'll take 29 minutes so I don't have to wait in line to clock in." but the system won't let you clock in unless 30 minutes pass. I clocked at 31 minutes and got a write up. This company is so concerned with 60 seconds, even though they aren't paying me for those 60 seconds and the funny thing is I waste at least 2 hours a day be

18.

Text - Marijuanavich · 19h In college I had a part time job at a big retailer selling appliances. They would generally have a promo of either 0% financing or free delivery, one or the other but not both. That being said, there was a workaround where we could still give people both, and multiple members of our management team told us that if that was the only way to get the sale to do it. 2 months later they fired half the department for doing what we were told to do. I quit right after that. Rep

19.

Text - PostbioticFibre · 20h Everyone avoided using the sentence "I don't know" even if they well and truly didn't know because it almost always meant you'd get fired for it. Reply 142 ...

20.

Text - UConnUser92• 14h When I was crying from anxiety about opening up my e- mails every morning. Reply 1 40 ...

21.

Text - ReasonReader • 19h Well, I wouldn't call it toxic exactly, everyone was polite enough, but I quit a job once when it became clear to me that the task at hand couldn't be delivered on time, and my management rejected the three alternative plans I presented. My immediate manager even told me words to the effect of "I agree that you're right, but I can't sell your plan to senior management", so I told him "then there's no point in me sticking around while this project craters", and handed hi

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment