Thursday, November 12, 2020

Czech Guy's Colleagues Refuse to Say His Excellent Name


It's a damn shame that this guy is having trouble getting other people to call him Mr. Bitch, because most of us would think it's kind of awesome. For some other cultural name challenges, here's a grandson who's jerk grandma won't learn his name, so he resolves to say her name wrong too.

1.

Text - * r/AmItheAsshole · Posted by u/bxhxjxnc 1 day ago E 6 2 9 3 10 4 AITA for demanding my colleagues use my "offensive" name? Not the A-hole Throwaway because I am a lurker and don't have an actual Reddit account. So, I work for an international company with many different nationalities, recently I have been assigned to a mainly American team (which means I have to work weird hours due to time zones but I'm a single guy with no kids so I can work around that). I live/work in Germany and pri

2.

Text - We had a couple of virtual meetings and I noticed some of the Americans mispronouncing my name - they called me Mr. Birch. So I corrected them, my surname is Bič (Czech noun meaning “a whip", happens to be pronounced just like "bitch"). My name is not English and doesn't have English meaning. Well, turns out the Americans felt extremely awkward about calling me Mr Bitch and using first names is not a norm here. HR got in touch with me and I just stated that I don't see a problem with my n

3.

Text - Well apparently the American group I'm working with is demanding a different representative (they also work from home and feel uncomfortable saying “curse words"(my name) in front of their families), but due to the time zone issues the German office is having problems finding a replacement for me, nobody wants to work a 2am-7am office shift from home. So management approached me asking to just accept being called Mr Birch but honestly I am a bit offended. A coworker even suggested that I

4.

Text - Edit due to common question: using first names is not our company policy due to different cultural customs, for many (me included) using first names with very distant coworkers is not comfortable and the management ruled that using surnames and titles is much more suitable for professional environment. I am aware that using first names is common in the USA, please mind that while the company is international, the US office is just one of the branches. Edit 2: many people are telling me to

5.

Text - Edit 3: I deal with other teams as wellI, everyone calls me Mr Bič, having one single team call me by my first name (which is impolite) or by changing my name is troublesome because things like Birch really do sound different. Someone mentioned Beach, which still sounds odd but it's better than Birch. Right now I have three options as last resort, if they absolutely cannot speak my name and if German office doesn't re-assign me: 1. use beach, 2. use Mr Representative, 3. switch to German,

6.

Text - mettwurstsjw Partassipant [1] 31.4k points · 1 day ago 4 NTA. Sorry you even have to deal with this, American adults are often overgrown children. Source: am American

7.

Text - mezamic000 Asshole Enthusiast [8] 9.0k points · 1 day ago - edited 1 day ago NTA - That is most definitely a discrimination complaint. I would send HR an email and make them put in WRITING why you can't use your LEGAL name. Something like... Hello HR, I am just emailing to clarify a phone call I had with you regarding my legal name [your name]. It's my understanding from the discussion I had with you, that you are refusing to allow me to use my legal name and to instead use a fake name, M

8.

Text - QuixoticLogophile Colo-rectal Surgeon [34] 6.1k points 1 day ago · edited 22 hours ago NTA There are plenty of American surnames that could be taken offensively (Butts, Dix, Weiner, etc) and no one asks them to go by a different name. It's common practice to close a door if you have a meeting while you're working from home anyways. It should be pretty easy for your coworkers to call you by your last name without offending their families. Edit to add lots more names: Dick, Raper, Wanker, B

9.

Text - RemindMeImGolden Asshole Enthusiast [6] 1.8k points · 1 day ago NTA English speakers expect to be accommodated to an extreme, consistently forcing people to Anglicize their names.

10.

Text - Soulc4tcher 787 points · 1 day ago NAH. It sucks, but this is a cultural barrier that you're never going to be able to overcome. My friend (who is from a Spanish speaking country) worked in an Arabic speaking country for years, where his name sounds like the word for poop. He was frustrated by trying to go by his own name for over a year before he gave in and went by a slightly changed name. I totally understand if you want to fight it but know that it's never going to stop being an issue

11.

Text - Pteromys44 Partassipant [1] 85 points · 1 day ago · edited 19 hours ago NTA. I would slightly change pronunciation to "Веach" bxhxjxnc 2 174 points · 1 day ago Huh, I haven't thought of that. It still alters my name, but not as much as Birch which has entirely different vowel sounds. But Beach is just longer vowel. I will see how the situation develops and if no other compromise can be reached I will suggest this to keep the peace. Thank you!

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment