Friday, October 2, 2020

Tumblr Thread: Hitting Terminal Meme


Memes are a sort of ephemeral form of communication. Most of them need some sort of context in order to operate well. As this tumblr thread shows, the further we get from some, understanding them becomes a form of cultural anthropology. These ones still mostly make sense though so it's still pretty funny. For more tumblr stuff, here are some random tumblr gems to tumble through.

1.

Text - s mareebrittenford Young Man Take the breadsticks and run Man door hand hook I said young man car gun plaid-n-converse memeception elphabaforpresidentofgallifrey WE'VE HIT TERMINAL MEME bl00dlikeice @caesarianconfection fidefortitude I've said "I hate this" so many times on this website, and never actually meant it, because "I hate this" is just shorthand for 'this is an example of a meme given a twist I wasn't expecting with intent to surprise'. Which is, in of itself, a meme on this sit

2.

Text - mommacomms I THOUGHT THIS WAS A YMCA REFERENCE 2 pagesofkenna it is a YMCA reference - that's one of the 6 memes being represented here ok let me see if i can break this down easily. YMCA is the easiest place to start - the song itself has become a meme over time with people changing the lyrics to reference other pop cultural events. so YMCA is meme one (1) this first lyric replacement ("take the breadsticks and run") is a reference to the tumblr meme 'stuffing breadsticks into my purse'.

3.

Text - O jewishzevran average tumblr post contains one meme, this post, which contains six, is an outlier and should not be counted E japhers it might also just be a coincidence due to loss.jpg's format but the whole white minimalist four-panel setup is also suspiciously reminiscent of those early 2000's rage comics A maps-and-elvis-and-zelda-n-shit I was getting a political compass vibe too your-uncle-dave tag urself im man door hand hook car gun politicalcompassmemes Authoritarian Young Man Ta

4.

Product - chiribomb This was in my senior project kait-the-kitty Vena you I'm not sorry. desertdaylight EIGHT MEME COMBO biggest-goofiest-fish FATALITY inthishousewekinkshamefnaf We have officially created a new language inthishousewekinkshamefnaf ake Man hreadai Man yung I just had to do it to em

5.

Product - buggykin THIS FUCKING THREAD I'M GONNA CRY I LOST IT AND MAN DOOR HAND HOOK CAR GUN AND DIDN'T EXPECT MORE I'M SOBBING inthishousewekinkshamefnaf Tumblr Normal memes МЕМЕТEN inthishousewekinkshamefnaf Tumihilr Tumblr Is this a meme? OwO?

6.

Cartoon - garecc Tumblr Is this a meme? Oh this- Tumblr Is this a meme? this is beautiful pawsofponies Wow

7.

Photography - cherrysconeslut Tak Man and. irealsicks ealu irie ilan ung da car gur ak Y.LA Nan kar Tunblr Túmblr Is this a meme? teis You know I had to

8.

Photograph - plaid-n-converse I hope you know this is the most cursed addition to my post, and I love it deceit-the-snakey-snake THIRTEEN!? ninapop45 SOMEONE EDIT THIS FROM THE ORIGINAL PHOTO SAYING "this one does not spark joy" TO THIS VERSION SAYING "this one sparks joy" astral-ghoul This one sparks joy. Young Man Take the breadsticks and run Man young door hand hook said man car gun This one does not spark joy.

9.

Lane - its-eggo LEFT EXIT 12 being a normal website and making things that make sense EASLAD RI tumblr well i added my contribution :) why- fandersunite IM SCREAMING robynspreciousnest This is the most elaborate meme I have ever seen and damn am l concerned by how it makes sense. operahousebookworm "You're in your 30s, but you still understand all this meme stuff?" "Oh yeah, sure." "Can you explain it to me?" "I absolutely fucking cannot."

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment