Thursday, October 8, 2020

Times People Unexpectedly Struck Gold


Sometimes, you're down on your luck and the universe seems to throw you a bone. You could be stepping out to take the trash out, preoccupied by one of a million stressful thoughts, and then suddenly, you spot a fresh $100 hanging out on the sidewalk. Or maybe you're just going to fill up the car with gas and after spontaneously deciding to buy a lotto ticket, you're up a few grand. These stories of folks striking gold when they were just "hunting for copper" are a boost of secondhand positive feels at the very least. 

1.

Text - deadhead94 · 22h 2 Awards One time I took the garbage out and found $50 on the sidewalk. Reply 3.4k ...

2.

Text - RenoMillenial • 22h O A 2 87 Awards I used to be a recruiter at a staffing agency. We had a major call center to staff and I asked one of my recent pending hires for referrals from her current call center because they paid shit wages and l'm assuming they'd be interested in leaving. She put my business cards in their break room with no shame. By the end of the month l'd stolen 15 employees and almost put her former employer out of business. I looked like a rockstar at work and got all tho

3.

Text - Wisebutt98 • 1d 2 22 Awards I ran into a woman l'd dated but lost contact with at a bar one night. We talked until last call, and she wanted another beer but couldn't get one. I worked graveyard shift, and drive by her house on my way to work. Saw her lights on, stopped to give her that beer she didn't get. She introduced me to her boyfriend who was there. Long story short, her BF & I became the best of friends, he was best man at my wedding. Still my main man decades later. Reply 20.2k .

4.

Text - Buwaro • 1d 1 Award I went on a date with my best friend's ex-girlfriend, not really expecting anything, but she ended up being amazing and we have been together for 12 years now. My best friend set this up, they had only dated for like a month in high school and everything was cool there. Reply 4.9k ...

5.

Text - GreenSalsa96• 1d 3 3 Awards I went to a dinner at a friends house, she also invited another friend of hers. I came for spaghetti and left with the woman I married. We crossed 24 years this September. Reply 7.8k ...

6.

Text - LupinThe8th • 22h 1 Award Spent a summer as an eBay seller, back in the early days before everyone knew about selling stuff online, so you could strike gold. At one garage sale, someone sold me a box of comic books for $10. A box of almost a hundred comic books. A box of almost a hundred comic books from the 1960s (mostly issues of Green Lantern and Supergirl). Wound up getting over $400 for that stuff. Honestly, I felt bad and today would patiently explain to the person that they really

7.

Text - Mo_Oli • 22h 3 Awards I might be too late for this but I applied for an internship after graduating college and rather than giving me the internship the company offered me a full time position instead :) Reply 9.8k ...

8.

Text - Вack2Bach . 1d Hired a cleaning lady to help with housework. Turns out that not only was she an excellent house- cleaner, but she's also a gourmet chef. Each time she'd come to clean, she'd whip up a delicious dinner for us before leaving (no extra charge, except for ingredients) - really first class fare, too! Reply 1.8k

9.

Text - svenson_26 • 21h 2 Awards I graduated university and had zero job prospects, so I came back as a part-time student so I could get some credits for a professional program. A girl sat in the front of all my classes. I sat at the back. I stared at the back of her head all year long, but never introduced myself until St. Patrick's day, when we were the only two to show up to our evening lab. You can drop your lowest lab mark, so everyone in the class opted just to not show. We both were drunk

10.

Text - CheetosAddict • 1d 15 Awards I went with my friends to adopt a cat (long story short: they were worried about my depression) and I wanted an older cat, about 5-7 years old. That way it would be trained and calm. As I was waiting for them to bring me one I pointed to, one of the workers was cleaning out a different cage and a young kitten escaped. It ran right up to me and hid behind my back (I was slouched against the wall). I picked it up and pet it for a bit. It then worked its way into

11.

Text - radiobrat78 • 22h 5 Awards Had tried to get back together with an ex gf, no go. Too many factors to overcome, wasn't gonna happen. Thought she was "IT", but apparently not. Spent about an hour in the car on the way home fuming to a friend, swearing off dating and women for a while. Walking up the stairs to my apartment, I see the door to a lady who had moved in recently. Thought to myself "she seems nice, why don't you invite her in for a movie or just a friendly hang. We celebrate 4 year

12.

Text - Puddle_Of_Dreams • 23h 4 Awards I seen a really sad kid sitting alone at a ball park, and decided to try to cheer him up. He's now my best friend, and helped me through highschool Reply 3.4k

13.

Text - bobofogochi • 1d 1 Award My family owns a small mining claim near Utah. I was out looking for fools gold, and instead found a small geode that I sold to a local shop for $100. Reply 1 1.3k ...

14.

Text - thanks_its_a_box • 1d 4 Awards Googling the answer to one homework question and finding a Quizlet with the entire chapter's solutions. Reply 4.2k ...

15.

Text - PyroCapillum • 1d 3 12 Awards I was in English years ago in 7th grade and I wanted to be funny and get a few people to laugh, so I made a stupid pun (funny to me at the time). Rather than a few people laughing, only one person did, BUT that person became one of my best friends to this day because of that and if that's not gold then idk what is.

16.

Text - BoothWilkesJohn • 1d When I was starting grad school, I went to the learning center to find work study as a tutor. A woman overhead my conversation and offered me a job as the technical editor for an academic journal. After I graduated and couldn't find work in my field (history), I became an editor. Reply 583 ...

17.

Text - ThadisJones • 1d The company upstairs from my nonprofit was bought out three years ago, they had to relocate, and were leaving a lot of unwanted stuff behind. I thought it would be mostly junk, but I scored two decent desktop PCs (with no HDs), a Xerox color laser printer (the kind that uses the crayons), and a super great office chair for my office. Plus a few reference books on things like Unix, networking, and SQL. Why not take all this stuff with them? I dunno, venture capitalism is w

18.

Text - justin-yuh- • 21h I was looking to buy my first car. I wanted an 80's camaro rs without t tops and maybe even a v8. My budget was $4,000 so not much wiggle room and whatever I got was gonna need a lot of work, or so I thought. We were driving around and we saw a 87 camaro iroc-z (literally my dream car) and decided to stop and ask the owner if they're interested in selling it. At first it was a no but after a little convincing she decided she would sell it. When we asked her how much she

19.

Text - a_dutch_twat • 1d 3 1 Award i went to the supermarket to get some discounted food when i was about to turn 18 and decided to buy a lotteraly ticket. when i scratched the Lottery ticket open it turned out i won 3k Reply 1.8k ...

20.

Text - Jh101903 • 1d I went to a very low rated ice cream joint and got the most recommended thing on the menu, I was expecting trash but it's currently my favorite form of ice cream. Edit: wow 250+ upvotes. Thanks a lot, you all. Reply 931 ...

21.

Text - IcelandSushie • 1d I went to a Goodwill looking for a pda, I found a laptop instead Guess who now has a laptop

22.

Text - JusticeJanitor • 1d My dating life was going nowhere. I installed Tinder, thinking not much of it. I'm now engaged. Reply 2.1k ...

23.

Text - mufasa329 • 22h I started hanging out with this girl I met on a study abroad when we got back to school. I wasn't super into her, but she was cool and had lots of sorority girlfriends and my dick thought that would be a good opportunity to meet more girls. Fast forward three years, she became my best friend, first girlfriend, and first person I truly fell in love with, to hell with all the other girls. Reply 458 ...

24.

Text - Darkrose50 • 21h After a long and hard stench time I needed to find a job for more than one reason. My wife talked me in to applying for this one job. The recruiter asked me like 42 times if I could pass the test ... it was creepy. I was like yeah, I guess, I do well on tests. I got the job, and seven years later I earn twice what I was hoping for, and I work with great people. Reply 121

25.

Text - chknuggetzor • 23h Went to goodwill not expecting much and came out with a 1970 hotwheels fat track play set. They are like 300$ now and I always wanted one because they are wide and the cars can pass each other but because of the price I couldn't afford it. Reply 234 ...

26.

Text - zealousTriangle • 1d 1 Award I was looking for my school notebook but instead found my best phone charger I lost a while ago. I only find stuff I'm not looking for. Reply 692 ...

27.

Text - d3k3d • 18h My buddy and I used to go to estate sales and garage sales to root for cheap awsome stuff. On this day we went to a garage sale. We come to the tables where the items are on displayed. There are 4 tables and two paths. I went right and he went left. He comes back to me with a 1972 Fender P Bass in Sunburst. It looks like the kid these elderly people bought it for tried to play it for a week and it sat in the case for 40 years. He offered the sweet old lady $75 bucks for it AND

28.

Text - Reality_Paradox • 18h Sophomore year of high school I went to see a movie with some friends. There were only 4 of us, and we had never hung out as just that group since the 4 of us weren't all that close personally, but we were in the same large group at school. That night I talked to one of the girls more than I ever had before and it seemed like we both had a really good time together. We celebrate 6 years together later this month, and I'm planning on proposing within the next few mont

29.

Text - TheNxxbKen • 1d in highschool i was an introverted nerd and decided to make a rap for my devotions. Considering the theme really narrowed the amount of content i couldve put in the rap (it was for religion), i thought i wouldve just say fuck it, get on with it, and get no applause because i thought it sounded like shit. On top off that, i wasnt a guy to step so far out of my safe zone, and i thought i was going to mess up the rap somehow and go off beat (i was rapping to a youtube rap ist

30.

Text - Lasersandshit • 22h I used to buy/sell/trade BMW E30s, I got a lead on a non runner for 500 dollars. I get there and start my normal inspection. At one point that car was obviously someone's baby. It was LOADED with very rare parts and top shelf aftermarket parts. It had a huge hole in the block though. I ended up making enough off that car to buy a rough E30 M3, repair it and sell that for over 20k (this was before the value went insane on them). Reply 66 ...

31.

Text - KipsyCakes • 20h Sometime last year, I was working as a DRA at a hotel restaurant and helped out this one couple a few times. On their last day, the hotel and restaurant were pretty dead, but they wanted to come one more time. They happened to get one server who wasn't attentive that day and they were constantly waiting for refills and little things. I helped them where could by getting them drinks, condiments, and things they'd ask for. It was my job, so I just did it because I needed to

32.

Text - YukiXain • 18h In 2008, I joined a video game stream on Ustream and made a lot of online friends during my freshman year of college. I was bored chatting with another friend and they introduced me to the channel because the owner was showing off his ferret. I stuck around for something fun to do when I had down time. One of the guys I met on there was super sweet and I liked him, but he lived in Ohio 700 miles away from me. We decided to try long distance dating and we were together for t

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment