Monday, September 21, 2020

Twitter Thread: The Time Ruth Bader Ginsberg Talked Smack


Following the passing of Ruth Bader Ginsberg, people were compelled to tell stories of the supreme court justice's impact and legacy. In this instance we have a guy sharing his time working with the justices in a fantasy baseball league. The thought of having a petty fantasy league moment in such an official setting is surreal.

1.

Text - Scott Hershovitz @shershovitz · 6h Today, a happy RBG memory – the time I talked her into talking trash. In OT06, the clerks had a fantasy baseball league. Some chambers had teams. Some individual clerks did. And Justice Alito wanted a team – for himself, not his clerks. 1/11 38 t7 1K 3.4K Scott Hershovitz @shershovitz · 6h In the last week of the term, the Ginsburg clerks were matched against Alito's team. RBG was on the losing end a lot that term. s was Not this time. We destroyed him:

2.

Text - Scott Hershovitz @shershovitz · 6h The next day, I went to see RBG in her office. I explained that her clerks were playing fantasy baseball, against other clerks -- and Justice Alito. And I described, in some detail, the sheer dominance our team had displayed. 3/11 1. 27 13 376 Scott Hershovitz @shershovitz · 6h She looked at me like I was insane. Which, I was. The end of the Court's term is kind of busy. Then I said, "Justice, I took the liberty of typing up a memo, which you might want

3.

Text - Scott Hershovitz @shershovitz · 6h She stooped over and studied it for what seemed like forever. Then she looked up and said, "What is fantasy baseball?" So I started over. (I think that's the only time I had to tell her something twice.) 5/11 t7 13 542 Scott Hershovitz @shershovitz Back she went to reading. The memo was all of two sentences. But she looked it over like an opinion. Then she smiled and said, "I'll sign it." 6/11 10:32 AM - Sep 20, 2020 - Twitter Web App

4.

Text - Scott Hershovitz @shershovitz · 6h Replying to @shershovitz "Copies to the Conference?" I asked. And she said yes. So copies were soon hand delivered to every justice. 7/11 27 14 438 Scott Hershovitz @shershovitz · 6h The memo said: Dear Sam, My law clerks inform me that last week their fantasy baseball team defeated yours by a score of 10-0. I know you are busy, but we expect more, even from the junior Justice. Respectfully, Ruth 8/11 O 2 17 89 1.3K

5.

Text - Scott Hershovitz @shershovitz · 6h A short while later, Justice Alito replied. He acknowledged that RBG was entitled to gloat. But he added that, with the end of term, he planned to dedicate more time to his team, so our success wouldn't last long. 9/11 1 27 12 426 Scott Hershovitz @shershovitz · 6h Shortly after that, an Alito clerk called to complain – the Justice had assigned him to manage his team. 10/11 L7 14 593 Scott Hershovitz @shershovitz · 6h RBG chuckled when I told her. That's

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment