Sunday, September 20, 2020

Incompetent Boss Fires Employee At Beginning Of Meeting, Learns Lesson


It doesn't behoove a boss to not know what their employees do, and this boss set himself up for a world of pain in the form pointed and effective malicious compliance. It should be simple enough to understand that it's hard to get someone to do anything when they're effectively not working for you.

1.

Text - Text - r/MaliciousCompliance · Posted by u/exie610 21 hours ago Don't start a meeting by ending the meeting. oc XL My work environment is less an environment and more- so a conglomeration of duct tape, spit, and cussing. I managed, among many things, a set of rentals, accounts receivable, and customer database analysis. Essentially, our company's bus factor was far too highlow. Another important bit that I handled were various legal documents that the State requires meticulous processes t

2.

Text - Now, my boss kindly provided me a Pentium 4 dual core computer that he found at the bargain warehouse for about $40. I had the most sophisticated work station in the business, for context. This wasn't quite enough for database management and analytical software to boot up - more or less process a dataset, so I called up our IT guy. Who worked for the boss's friend's sister-in-law's business. 200 miles away. I go, "Hey Tim! I need to add my personal laptop to the company network. Can you m

3.

Text - Text - So Tim shows up. We get the boss to rubber stamp that this is all OK, and I have remote access to the servers and some annoying corporate* mandated securities on my laptop. Which, no big deal, they stay out of the way. *Tim's corporate. My boss doesn't know a computer from a VCR We didn't have anything like a software policy, either. I think some computers had Office 2007 installed, but that's clunky and makes data transfer complicated. It's the 20 teens, there's no need for that.

4.

Text - Text - Anyways. Things have been tense recently. I've moved almost all of my job to digital, and the boss thinks that means I don't work any more. Obviously, an office monkey with no papers is an office monkey with not enough work. Now, he wasn't EXACTLY wrong. I had been automating things, and was doing the job of about 6 people. How can I do the job of 6 people without the boss knowing? Easy. He likes to manage by the seat of his pants. One day he fired a maintenance person and just "ro

5.

Text - Text - Moving on, after two years of "shuffling" I had accumulated a large amount of jobs. Many of them tedious. And, with the right tools (made by me, at home, on my personal laptop that happens to be able to connect to the network), a good 4 hour job can be completed with about 10 minutes of sorting and parsing data. So the time comes. We all know its coming - one of the suits tipped me off that the particular suit who's payroll is wasted on chumps like me had propositioned the boss tha

6.

Text - Knowing that, I backed up everything to my personal google.drive account - but of course did not delete anything from the company owned one. Like I said, the State has a vested interest in these processes, and I knew in my heart-of-hearts that the company couldn't be trusted to maintain records. I didn't want to be on the hook for that in 6 years, so I kept a copy. I figured it would go smoothly. I'm called to the big office for a meeting. There's too many suits, my supervisor gives me so

7.

Text - Text - Well... that was blunt. And rude. So I stand up, extend my hand across the table, and prepare to thank him for the last few years. "NOT so fast. Sit down, we have things to discuss." Hahaha... what? I sit down for a moment, in brief shock. The adrenaline starts to pump and my finger tips are cold. Boss begins to tell me all of things they need from me. Contacts. Account statuses. Explanation of discrepancies on AR accounts. documentation for State interests. All things that, as his

8.

Text - Text - He exploded. Think of Karen, a millionaire Karen with little-brother syndrome who wants to be John Wayne but looks a bit too much like Smoky the Bear's fat cousin to get the role. His explosion was violent. Spit everywhere. I'll save you the details of how he stalked me to my car and demanded the employees "form a barrier". He called me a few times. They went to voicemail as I drove to a public wifi hotspot. I carefully removed my laptop from their network. I drove home, unpacked m

9.

Text - Text - The company doesn't flounder, of course. Bossman is a millionaire, and has been very carefully losing tens of thousands of dollars a year while operating his business. He may have lost some more in the interim. But that's not my concern. My concern is collecting my unemployment. And wouldn't you know, I was fired a few days before fall college class selection begins. I decide to take a few master level classes - I've had my BA for awhile, might as well get some more school in on th

10.

Text - Text - The bossman calls me this morning. I coyly thank him for firing me without cause a year ago, and let him know I made the Dean's list last semester. He tells me to fuck off, he called to take me up on my deal - he'll hire me at 5x my rate to give him some information. I remind him, "Wasn't the deal 10 times my rate?" Fuck you, 5x is too much. And I only need you for an afternoon. "Well, I've been thinking about it. My unemployment benefits run out in a week or two. So I'll do it. I'

11.

Text - Text - I hang up. He calls back an hour later, just moments before I started writing this, actually. It's actually his daughter, the comptroller of the company. She says she spoke some reason to the boss. He'll hire me at 20x my rate for 40 hours of work, half paid up front. "Actually, it was 100% up front, not half." Fine. she starts telling me what needs done. Turns out, they're failing a State audit quite badly. Like, "Boss is not a millionaire if this isn't fixed" kind of badly. They

12.

Text - Edit / Update: I got a call. They seem to have decided that the daughter/comptroller would be the best point of contact, which is fine with me. We got along fine, she has a nice kid that used to run around the office. It seems like the bulk of the issue is the information that they can't find. That's roughly zero work. But since they can't find that information at all, auditors are nitpicking very fine details that my replacements have bungled up. From the way she told it, it sounds like

13.

Text - "You don't understand, we only have until the end of the month. This needs started on today." I work fast, and it sounds like you should hire someone who knows how to write contracts fast, too. "Whatever. If you don't fix this you're.... you know what, nevermind. I'll email you something in the morning." Sounds like a plan, good night. 1 1 2 12 1 10 5 8 11 11 12 1 2 CO

14.

Text - HeadBonk Score hidden · 20 hours ago Why would you fire someone before getting what you need from them beforehand. You wouldn't tell a restaurant you want to dine and dash before the meal and expect to be fed... exie610, Score hidden · 20 hours ago You don't understand. See, Boss is a millionaire, and nobody tells John Wayne what to do and expects to live. How dare you question Boss. He's been in the business longer than you've been alive, Kiddo.

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment