Wednesday, August 12, 2020

The Places Travelers Will Never Return To


Someone on AskReddit got a thread going about the places that travelers will never go back to. Many of us have encountered those gnarly places that we'd just as much love to wipe our memory banks clear of. 

1.

Text - gomiyade • 2y I accidentally wandered into a Scientology-backed psychology psychiatry museum in LA. I knew I had to escape as soon as the video at the start of the tour began. Edit: as others have said, it's the one called Psychiatry: An Industry of Death. I was curious and took a picture of the signage outside to show to my friends for lulz later. Then a guy came out and said the free tour was starting in a minute. I had time to kill so I was like uh....surewhynot. Didn't know of the Sci

2.

Text - PlaysForTheKing • 2y In terms of first impressions then Guatemala City. Airport taxi was taking me to the hostel when the driver suddenly stopped in the middle of the street and leaned on the horn in one of those annoyingly LO0000000000000ONG honks that seems to say, "Come on, fight me." I sat up in the back to get a better look and, just over the edge of the hood, saw a woman lying on the street, on her back and in labor. A guy was standing over her helping her, but I couldn't tell if he

3.

Text - ConneryFTW • 2y Qatar. I had a 24 hour or so layover in the ad-hoc Doha airport on my way to Tanzania. If you're in Qatar for over 12 hours or so you get a free tour of the country. At the beginning of the tour I wasn't super aware of the class disparity, what is essentially slavery of foreign workers, and altogether trying-too-hard nature of Doha. It's a very cool looking city, but it reminds me of something someone would build in Minecraft when they're playing on creative with no stakes

4.

Text - xO_KissOfDeath • 2y Fucking Blackpool in the UK. No offence to anybody, but it was a total shitehole. It's probably the only place I've visited and instead of wanting to make the most of it, I actually contemplated leaving ASAP.. We stayed as it was only overnight when passing through to somewhere else but even the overnight was a night too long. And fuck the free breakfast we got. We got up VERY early and dashed from the place as quick as humanly possible lol 2.0k

5.

Text - TerangaMugi • 2y Marrakech. The city itself is pretty, has a bit of charm even though it feels cramped at times. But Marrakech is a tourist city and the people that live there know it. I have never been so swamped by people trying to scam me or get me to buy stuff I said I did not want. I says something when the only times I had fun was when I left the city to visit the areas outside. I felt like a piece of bread that fell on a cockroach infested floor. 734

6.

Text - pumpkin_pasties · 2y Cordoba, Argentina. I was stranded there for a week due to a bus strike. My friends and I (all young women) were harrassed by the local men every time we stepped outside. Packs of wild dogs everywhere. Dirty streets. Lots of clubs and bars, but as women you were guaranteed to be groped at all of them. Tried to go on a hike at one point, but an old lady stopped us because people had been disappearing on that trail. We ended up staying in our hostel most of the time, an

7.

Text - mrcchapman • 2y There are a few. I once took a wrong-turn in Hong Kong and ended up hiking up this long, winding road into the hills that led to a Chinese Army base. Walking up to the gates for directions did not get a friendly response. In Marrakech, you need to stay near the market. A friend of mine was lured off from the top of the souks by someone offering to show them 'tanneries' and ended up nearly being mugged. Just threw some coins at the guy and we pegged it back to the relative

8.

Text - Optimized_Orangutan • 2y I spent 6 months working in Saltillo Mexico during the peak of the Zetas and Gulf Cartel wars... If the ak-47 toting guards at the airport were not enough culture shock, my experience leaving the airport really opened my eyes to what I had gotten myself into. Picked up at airport by local co-worker. Turn out of airport and come to a stop next to a truck with 10-15 guys wearing full body armor, armed with Ak's, uzi's and spaz-12 shotguns. me- "Is that the Mexican a

9.

Text - impossiblevoyage • 2y Paris on the hottest and most touristy day of summer. Edit: obviously I realised that it would be like that, just I realised too late. I was staying in a different and much less touristy city and thus failed to remember that it was August. 581 ...

10.

Text - DoubleTrigga • 2y Back during the cold war my uncles were travelling around Europe by train. From what my mom told me, they fell asleep and the train personnel didn't notice them and they ended up in a Soviet run country. Apparently getting them out was scary. 3.2k ...

11.

Text - convextech • 2y Disney World with my grandkids. I practically grew up there but hadn't been in over 20 years. I had no idea it would be nothing but a huge traffic jam of strollers and screaming children. 3.5k ...

12.

Text - cooziethegrouch • 2y I went to Detroit a few years ago for 2 residency interviews. After driving around Detroit, I said to myself that this place would be a last resort option in terms of getting into residency. The second interview was at a very large hospital in Detroit. They paid for my hotel room at the boutique hotel. It was a nice place, but I felt like it was haunted as hell. The place was decorated like a typical funeral parlor. I decided to walk around and look for something to e

13.

Text - -EDGAR- • 2y Times Square on New Year's Eve. I went one year when my girlfriend, her brother, and his girlfriend were visiting her dad in New Jersey. He took us to a Broadway play and a fancy sushi dinner and we parted ways with her dad and step mom so we could head over to Times Square. It was awful, terribly crowded and loud and we couldn't even get close enough to see anything. After a while we decided to just give up and we went to a Korean barbecue instead. 856 ...

14.

Text - LonginiusSpear • 2y A time share presentation in Mexico. Holy shit it was like a prison of nice people who hold you there with niceness. Never never do that... I'll never get those 5 hours back. 169 ...

15.

Text - TCsnowdream • 2y Bangkok... but for a hilarious reason. I live in Tokyo and my company sent a team of us to BKK for some business. We had a few days to ourselves and ended up going on a few highly-rated tours. I was the only non-Japanese and the only English speaker. So I was constantly bombarded and singled out by hucksters and street vendors. The tuk-tuk drivers were the most aggressive. I'm well versed and can even give Elsa a run for the title of 'Ice Queen' when need be. But my Japan

16.

Text - [deleted] • 2y Went to Little Rock for spring break. (I'm not from the US) Went for a drive with some buddies and ended up in the ghetto basically lol.. shacks that were falling apart with $50,000 cars out front kinda neighborbood. I'm not feom the US so I was like wtf is wrong with people living in a 200 sq ft run down piece of shit but has a rebuilt muscle car and BMW in the drive? But ok... The 20 year old van started sputtering at a red light right in front of a convience store that w

17.

Text - [deleted] • 2y Twice,...in 2011 we inadvertently ended up in a bad part of St Louis..literally stumbled in..parked our car, went into a pizzeria...we were the only white people I the place and dead silence fell when we walked in..the staff gave us a wonderful time, one of the waiters insisted on walking us back to our car " seriously man I hope it's still there"..also suggested if we ever make it back to St Louis be very careful about where we end up. Roll forward 2015.we were in San Dieg

18.

Text - NoFunHere • 2y I have been to 21 countries and 47 US states. My initial reaction was the Philippines, just because of the sheer desperation of the people in the area I was visiting felt like they would do anything to you to get money. But, on reflection, I am still glad I went. I still learned more about the human race. 2.0k ...

19.

Text - darthbiscuit80• 2y Cleveland. Went in to pay for gas and came out to a rental car with no goddamn wheels on it. Cashier "didn't see nothin and the cameras was broke". 3.2k ...

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment