Friday, August 28, 2020

Old Lady Gets Zero Sympathy, Call Center Employee Saves The Day


Oh man, buckle right on up for a feels trip. This sweet old lady never met a mean and inconsiderate call center manager's attitude with anything but patience and understanding. It's amazing how, considering what she was going through with the love of her life. Fortunately, there was a particular call center employee on hand that prioritized helping make this lady's request come true, to just shine a little bit of light on the darkness of the situation. Beautiful stuff, really. 

1.

Text - r/talesfromcallcenters + Join u/PrisBatty • 2y 1 3 1 Sweet old lady gets no sympathy. Not on my watch! L I was thinking of making a throwaway for this but screw it. Plus, am on a mobile, sorry. I used to work in a call centre for a famous luxury travel company. All of our training was about drilling into us how we had to bend over backwards for the customer. We were told that customers were paying for the experience and that included us in the call centre. If they wanted to know the exact

2.

Text - All fine and good. I'm up for that. It all sounds nice and civil. Then we go up onto the floor and answering the phones and shit gets real. Turns out our line managers quickly let us know that our job was to answer the phone and get shot of the caller ASAP. If the caller wasn't buying a holiday from us we were to get rid of them even faster. People with legitimate problems would call and they wouldn't lift a finger to help us find solutions. It was beyond frustrating. I actually had my li

3.

Text - Mrs H phones and asks if she can postpone her holiday for one year. Her husband has just been diagnosed with bone cancer. He's going to get treatment and so they can't go, but she wants to book the holiday for next year as something to look forward to. I open up her information and find that it's a few days into the period of time that cancellations can't be made without us taking a bunch of money off them. In this case over $10,000. I can't cancel it without a code being entered, which o

4.

Text - I go back to lovely Mrs H and tell her (making sure she knew it was my line manager being an asshole and not me) that she had to claim it on her insurance. Mrs H thanks me and goes away. Next day Mrs H calls and asks to be put through to me. She says her insurance won't cover it because even though her husband didn't know he had bone cancer when they booked the holiday, they said it was a pre existing condition for it to be so bad now. I go back to line manager to beg again for her to inp

5.

Text - So I concoct a plan. I go back to lovely Mrs H and I say: 'Listen Mrs H. I can look pretty cute when I make an effort. If you can phone back when my line manager is in a meeting or on a break, I can go over and ask another line manager who's got a bit of an eye for me and doesn't know about your case and hopefully get him to input his code. Mrs H is very grateful. She phones up the next day and I whisper: Not yet Mrs H, my line manager is here. Mrs H phones up the next day and I whisper,

6.

Text - Finally after a few days of this, Mrs H phones up, she's been an absolute sweetie every call, and my line manager happens to be in a meeting. So I say, let's go for it Mrs H. I pretty myself up a bit. 'I'm putting my lipstick on now Mrs H. And I walk over to the male line manager on the next team and I say 'Ohh you have to help, I've just booked a holiday for a customer but I got the dates wrong and I meant to book it for next year and it's within the final 90 days so can you input your c

7.

Text - Male line manager (who is a nice guy) comes over and I stand holding the computer monitor, hopefully not suspiciously, in a way that blocks him from seeing the date it was purchased. And he inputs the code, laughing at me for being a bit dizzy and getting the year wrong. Then goes back to his team. I did it! Cue me back on the phone whispering: 'The Eagle has landed Mrs H! We've done it!' Mrs H was over the moon. I get her all booked in for the following year and send her on her way with

8.

Text - Next day there's a lovely card mailed into the call centre for me with a big thank you and an invitation to come to their house any time l'm in their part of the country. In fact, we've exchanged Christmas cards ever since. I hated that damn job and l'm well out of it now, but I like to think that the daily hell of it was all worth it, just to be able to make a difference to sweet Mrs H. 2.2k O 108 1 Share

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment