Sunday, July 12, 2020

Most Important Things People Broke


Someone on AskReddit got a thread going about the most important things that people broke, with the aftermath. Just imagining the amount of panic-charged adrenaline that must've been coursing through these people after their failures, is enough to give us a case of the clammy hands. 

1.

Text - Sparkselot • 12h I broke a $3,000 diamond at work once. It was a wedding ring. was tightening a little princess cut (the square one with the sharp points), and all of a sudden it turned into a broken "milky/frosted" mess, lol. You would be surprised on how easy it is to break a diamond; especially when they have super sharp points. You can't scratch them, but they will break. Aftermath was a "hey, that happens" and some more training. I broke several more stones after that, but all small

2.

Text - missenginerd • 13h I was trying to align a laser in my lab the first month of my PhD program. It had to enter the galvo (beam steering device) at a very precise angle. I was putting the last bolt in the mounting bracket and my hands were sweaty and the bolt just shot out of my hand. If I tried to do this, it could have never happened, but that goddamn thing made a perfect football spiral right through the aperture hole into the sealed $25,000 optical device (it is completely sealed except

3.

Text - TanukiMara • 11h The lever on my mother's brand new recliner. The aftermath? I gently placed it back and made it look like it was fine, then she went to use it and thought she broke it. Reply 1.2k ...

4.

Text - BCKPFFNGSCHT • 13h I was 12, asked to carry a ceramic urn for my aunt while we were loading up the car for a trip. I dropped it and it turned out they were the ashes of her grandfather that just passed. We were driving to some lake to spread his ashes. I felt bad, but she was devastated. Not really a dignified thing having your ashes cleaned up by a swiffer wet jet.. Reply 2.6k ...

5.

Text - DonKiddic • 12h Broke is a strong word - but I accidentally turned off a server I was working on once. I had a complete mind fart while being on a remote session on this server. My main machine needed turning off for some reason, and I forgot I was still in this remote session to a server. Hit Start > shut down and got "Are you sure, please type something in this box to confirm why...etc" - so I just mashed the keyboard thinking "of course I want to turn it off". It went off. But another

6.

Text - notFG • 11h My mom told me to get a cake out of the oven for her while she stepped out of the store. I was in the middle of a COD match when it was time to take it out so I ran, took it out of the oven and put it on the glass table we had in our kitchen, and ran back to my game. Fast forward my mom comes home and is screaming at me for what I think is her not believing I took the cake out of the oven, but when I go downstairs to tell her I did take it out of the oven the table was shatter

7.

Text - SlickerWicker • 11h We were driving in the late 90's in upper wisconsin. No GPS. I was a pre-teen and was allowed to sit in the front seat because my two younger sibling were being little shits. So there I was with the only map of Wisconsin, in the front seat, with the window down. Now you might think the map got ripped out of the window by the wind. Nope. See I decided to put the map outside the window like a flag and watch it flap in the wind. The "wind" was going roughly 60 mph. My dad

8.

Text - Zackary1201 • 12h My massive Lego Star Wars Republic Cruiser :(I was probably 12 and it sat on a shelf. Accidentally knocked it off and exploded everywhere in my room. I was silent as I watched it fall, then just sat and cried for a while. Reply 1 337 ...

9.

Text - thebigm101 • 12h I broke my front tooth biting an apple, can't even make that up. Nearly 5 years of painful root canals, gum surgeries, braces, and countless trips to the dentist later the tooth is still dead, and there is a chance I will need to replace the tooth with a multiple thousand dollar implant. Reply 1 167 ...

10.

Text - Chonkmyster • 13h My Dad's laptop after I smashed the screen when I was very young. I still regret it to this day and yet he was never vocally angry about it Reply 1 447

11.

Text - Salty_Paroxysm • 11h During classroom instruction in the army, I broke a bit of electronic equipment worth £250k (back in the 90's) by plugging it into a dock of sorts which had an undiagnosed fault. Immediate reaction from the instructor: "that's odd, try this one"... the replacement bill is now £500k. Instructor brings in the head instructor of the unit, who then proceeds to break another one in exactly the same way... £750k by this point. By this time l'm somewhere between shitting bri

12.

Text - boogertwoshoes • 13h I broke a 2 million dollar piece of equipment at work. Really wasn't any aftermath. People came and fixed it and someone else broke it a few months later. It's always getting broke. Also I work for a multi billion dollar company so 2 million is nothing for them. Reply 891 ...

13.

Text - Milhent • 12h Typo in code, as a result instead of a few defective records I erased whole batch of data from base. Fortunately it was backed up every hour, so we were able to restore it. Still, dealing with those defective records got pushed back again and again and they caused more errors, which meant a lot more work when we finally got to cleaning them up. Full weekend on unpaid overtime. Reply 114

14.

Text - Boston_Strong_CQB241 • 14h My car going to NYC for New Years Eve. Blew the head gasket right when I got to the toll booth at the bridge for Queens. Had to abandon the car at my friend's house, got $300 for it and had to take a bus back to Massachusetts. Also had to go 6 months without a car. Reply 359 ...

15.

Text - Cgk-teacher • 12h My left patella (kneecap)... Aftermath is ongoing as tonight I will have a second operation after having had one last night. Slippery epoxy-coated pavement is dangerous! Reply 63 ...

16.

Text - AtomicTaintKick • 12h Oh oh I have something for this! I broke $20k of equipment and kept my job! I was working on a gas chromatography machine, and through some dumbassery, blew a channel-the carrier gas line was kinked and I didn't know. I was like "oh that's weird" replaced it, and instantly blew it again because there still wasn't carrier gas being pushed to the instrument. All told, about $20k USD mistake. Nothing ever happened to me, I was up front about what happened and my boss ju

17.

Text - Snowy1234 • 11h I was assistant manager of Stratford Upon Avon McDonalds back in the mid-90s. Stratford Upon Avon is one of the worlds busiest tourism sites, especially for Americans and so McDonalds had a huge town store there, with three levels, and a huge kitchen to cope with demand. So mid morning on one summer Saturday I was in the office next to the kitchen getting some paperwork don't before the lunchtime e rush, and I noticed a bulb had gone in the gas/electrical notification boar

18.

Text - This was something l'd fixed numerous times before, and there was an easy technique l'd used previously. I went to the tills and picked up a drinking straw, and slid it over the bulb until I felt the bulb release. But this time there was a popping noise, followed by silence, and all the lights going out. F.u.c.k. pushed the bulb back in, and still silence and darkness. Damn.

19.

Text - I don't know if you've ever been in a busy McDonalds kitchen, but it's a noisy place with buzzers, beepers, fans, and people yelling over the noise. What we had was an eerie silence. No yelling, no noise, no nothing. The store manager responded first. He was on lobby and started asking customers to leave the building. He went out into the street and found the whole town centre was down. It took a whole day for the electrics co to dig up the road, find the problem and fix it. We had to thr

20.

Text - thesunglasseskid • 13h I witnessed someone else's. Was in Cabela's and there was a kid with his parents who was maybe 6 or 7 years old. There are tons of taxidermy animals throughout the store, and in the room we were in there was a small table with mallards on it. His parents were right next to him and paid no attention while he pet them and grabbed various parts of their bodies for a few minutes. Finally the parents decided to pay attention, saw the do not touch sign and told him to sto

21.

Text - The aftermath? Nothing. Dad noticed, grabbed the wing from the kid's hand and fumbled with it seeing if he could make it stick back in its spot. After about five seconds of trying, he set it next to the mallard and then went back to what he was doing hoping that nobody would notice. There was an associate in the room and he didn't let them know either. Didn't scold the kid. Didn't take responsibility at all. Just acted like it didn't happen. Definitely the most egregious behavior l've see

22.

Text - RCcola57 • 13h I wrecked my brand new truck right before my 16th birthday, while eating chicken nuggets. Into a mailbox. Made of brick. Luckily the neighbors didn't want to file a police report because I didn't have an adult with me. I had to wake up at 6 am the next morning and pick up all of the pieces of brick that literally exploded throughout the yard. Also my dad had to pay for the mailbox to be rebuilt. Thankfully my truck wasn't totaled, although it was very close. The stain where

23.

Text - SnowflakeVsAvalanche • 12h There wasn't really an "aftermath" as such, but when I was like 4 or 5, I accidentally broke our washing machine. The door was open and I bumped into it and it broke. I said I was sorry, and my parents didn't yell at me or anything, but they had to get a new one. It was only many, many years later that I realised that I probably fucked up their budget for at least a couple of months, because an ok washing machine is expensive, and I still feel kinda bad about it

24.

Text - no_one_worth_knowing • 12h My collarbone. Football career over. I wasnt all that good anyway so probably not as big a deal as I thought it was at the time. Reply 117 ...

25.

Text - wRome • 13h Side of our garage I was like 6 and took the keys to our minivan and as usual I started it. On my way out of the van, I stumbled and put the van into Drive. Suddenly, the whole minivan was rocking back and forth until it crashed into the brick part of our garage. The minivan had scratches on the bumbper and the garage wasn't too messed up, but you could tell something had happened. I don't remember what exactly my punishment, but yeah. Reply 96 ...

26.

Text - Finiket4 • 12h I may have broken my mother's thermomix if you know what that is you understand if you don't well it's basically a 2-3 thousand dollar blender an the aftermath was I saw my mum properly angry for the first time I shat myself Reply 117 ...

27.

Text - Jconway89 • 5h I was 10 years old. Our house has a wall that was about 4feet from the house. Inused to walk along it all the time. One day i lost my balance and pulled this little plastic pipe out of the wall. I had no idea what it did and just pushed it back in. A couple of weeks later the wall and ceiling in our lounge fell appart and water gushed in wrecking most of the downstairs. I never told my parents about what i did. Eventually due to financial strain my parents split up(they did

28.

Text - capndelirium • 11h Oh boy do have I a story for you! I managed to get a scholarship to a really prestigious school and a few months in I wandered into what I thought was an empty classroom and was startled by a few students and accidentally broke an $80,000 vase. Turns out is was part of the decoration for some silly tea club and was told to work for the club as an errand runner to pay off the debt or they would tell the school principal. I ended up becoming really good friends with the c

29.

Text - _xXTrashPandaXx_ • 14h My wallet. I gave this 45 second old post gold because I want to see it get popular. Real answer: I didn't technically break it, but my dad had an old pocket watch, when I asked him if I can see it, he said yes and took it down, only for it to break. I didn't even know how it broke, it just... did |

30.

Text - dandab • 7h I was in college getting ready to visit friends at another college about 4 hours away. I had packed my laptop in my backpack which had one of those side inserting pouches for laptops but I forgot to zip it up. As I was getting ready to leave, I swung the backpack over my shoulder and the laptop flew out like a slingshot. Found it was damaged but still worked. Went on my trip super bummed I had damaged my laptop. At the end of the trip, I came back home ready to relax and watch

31.

Text - Smeagleman6 • 3h I broke the ignition in my dad's 85 Corvette, because he neglected to tell me when he asked me to roll up the windows how to safely remove the key from the ignition. Turns out old Corvettes have this weird lever on the side of the ignition that you have to push to fully turn the key back. I just had to pay for the new ignition assembly, which luckily for me wasn't too expensive. The mechanic he took it to had a junked, rusted out Corvette he was using for parts, so I only

32.

Text - kidkarif • 12h Im serving in the physical intelligence gathering department of the army in my country and i managed to break one of our high quality cameras. The camera costs around 1.5 million dollars. Honestly nothing major happened as a response and it got fixed quickly to countiue our mission. Reply ...

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment