Sunday, July 12, 2020

Dude Gets Contractual Revenge on Lying Landlord


This dude did his due diligence and followed the law to the letter, getting out of a bad deal with striking precision. Living situations can get to be a handful, like these nurses who took revenge on their roommate, or this woman who relocated her garden and upset her landlords.

1.

Text - r/MaliciousCompliance · Posted by u/low_myope 4 days ago You would like me to adhere to the contract? In that case I require a hotel until you resolve all of these issues oc L A few years ago, I moved back to the city in which I was a university student. As I was now 'a young professional', and had experienced significant issues with housemates in the past (non-payment of bills, having to do all the cleaning) I decided that I would rent a small flat from a reputable agency which specifica

2.

Text - I went and viewed the property, which was quite messy, and needed to have a few things addressed (ie the vinyl flooring in the kitchen was ripped, one of the drawers in the freezer was broken). But seeing as tenants were still living in the property, and the agency assured me that between tenants the landlord would clean the property, and resolve any small issues prior to moving in, I happily signed a contract, and wrote a cheques for the deposit, and first month of rent. Two months later

3.

Text - General: • The entire property had not been cleaned • Fire door wouldn't close (breach of fire regulations) • The previous tenants had left much of their belongings behind, namely clothes and bedding General waste was present in all rooms (bins had not been emptied) • Batteries had been removed from all of the fire/smoke alarms (by law, they were meant to be hard wired in rented property) • Half of a lightbulbs had been removed from the property Hallway: • Mains supply & circuit breaker r

4.

Text - Bedroom: • Slats on bed broken (so would not have been able to sleep on it) • Mattress torn and ripped • Vinyl floor ripped up • Window jammed closed Bathroom: • Faecal matter on light switch • Mirror broken • Toilet had not been cleaned (still had faecal stains in bowl) • Shower door broken off hinges • Vinyl floor torn up

5.

Text - Kitchen/Living Room: • Washing machine broken • All draws in fridge freezer absent or broken beyond repair • Gas cooker, missing burner caps and pan rail (therefore unusable) • Two cupboard doors hanging off • Vinyl floor ripped up • Curtain pole ripped down It was very clear that two things had occurred here. The first being that the previous tenants had done a bit of a number on the property. That they had not respected the property, and had left quite a lot of damage in their wake. The

6.

Text - Being the reasonable guy that I was, I called the landlord and asked if he could resolve these issues immediately. Primarily as the property was genuinely in a dangerous, and non-inhabitable state. I did not want to be a dick about it, however, at the bare minimum, the flat should be safe to inhabit. The landlord dismissed all of my complaints, and stated that his wife (he was on a business trip to Dubai) had inspected and cleaned the property a few days before, and all was fine (a blatan

7.

Text - So I went through my contract line by line, and found two key pieces of information: • If a property is deemed to be in breach of fire regulations and/or is deemed uninhabitable by a suitable representative, it is the responsibility of the landlord to resolve such issues immediately • If the landlord cannot resolve such issues immediately, it is the responsibility of the landlord to provide alternative accommodation to the tenant until the property is returned to a habitable state. Fortun

8.

Text - On his return, he drove directly to the property from the airport, and returned the cheques for my deposit and first months rent to me, and asked me to move out. Which I gladly did. Unbeknownst to him, a copy of the letter had been sent by my family member to the Housing Ombudsman, and the local authority. The last thing I heard is that this bloke ended up being investigated, heavily fined, and had to sell the house. TLDR: Landlord rents me dangerous property, and tells me to adhere to th

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment