Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Smartest/Most Creative Ways Students Cheated


Students will go to extraordinary lengths to not have to study for that next, dreaded exam. Seriously, it's remarkable. We're talking devious kids printing out fake Snapple labels with answer keys on the labels; we're talking students collaborating to cheat off each other's tests by using M&M's; we're talking students tapping their fingertips on their desks to create some kind of morse code. There's some kind of brilliance interwoven in acts of academic cheating. 

1.

Text - NakedEngineer • ly In a lot of my college courses I wasn't allowed to use anything higher than a TI84. So l took the guts of my TI89 and swapped it into my TI84. Never got caught. 4.3k ...

2.

Text - 11JulioJones11 • 1y I remember a story from my O-chem professor. This student all semester who wasn't showing up to class kept getting his score improved significantly after re- grades. They got their tests back, had a day to review them, and were allowed to re-submit for a regrade. They knew he was cheating because of the unlikelihood of the grading mistakes on multiple exams but the TAS who graded it couldn't confidently say it wasn't their handwriting. Ultimately it was an office worke

3.

Text - Throwmylifeaway000 • 1y 3 2 Awards Not sure if this would work anymore, but if I had a paper to write on a book I didn't read I would find a well written paper online. Then translate the entire thing from English to German, German to French, French to Spanish, then Spanish back to English. Pull the original paper and the new one up side by side and clean up the grammar on the new paper and you've got the same concept, but written just different enough to not be plagiarism. Worked like a c

4.

Text - babydragon0 • 1y S 1 Award My teacher shared with us a story about how since she allowed eating during her tests, one person pulled out a giant bag of M&Ms and ate a specific color corresponding to A/B/C/D. It was a two student duo and they only got caught when another student ratted them out. Edit: grammar 18.5k ... +3

5.

Text - itellteacherstories • 1y I was supervising a final chemistry exam along with another coworker. Not 15 minutes in, a hand slams down on a desk and I turn around expecting the worst, only to see my coworker angrily shouting at a pair of really frightened 10th graders whose desk he smashed. Amidst the shouting I caught the words, "Morse code". The guy proceeded to take them to the office. I called a hallway supervisor to take over and ran after the group. Apparently, the kids were silently t

6.

Text - lukeydukey • 1y In elementary/middle school we had to write a paragraph each week featuring all the vocabulary words included in that unit. One clever kid wrote something along these lines: "One day kid's name had to write a paragraph for English class. He sat down, picked up a pen and used these words in it: proceeds to list out all the words." The teacher only let it go once because she never saw that happen until then. 2.5k ...

7.

Text - owenthevirgin • 1y A S 3 Awards In high school I was in program and our science tests were taken digitally. However, they used a program where once you entered the test your entire screen was locked into the test and the only way to exit it was to click the finish button on the test or turn off your computer which effectively did the same thing. Another feature of the program was that once you were in the test, anything you had in your clipboard (copied text) was not able to be pasted int

8.

Text - Staroze • 1y 3 1 Award My exams that used a graphic calculator (TI-84) required us to show the examiners a "proof of reset" screen before the papers started so instead of actually studying for my papers, I painstakingly redrew the "proof of reset" screen pixel by pixel in the TI-84s pixel art program and stored all my notes in it. 33.3k ...

9.

Text - Knickers_in_a_twist_ • 1y Not a teacher but I used to use one of those rectangular erasers because the pencils the teacher gave us were cheap and the erasers only smudged the marks. The eraser came in a cardboard sleeve and I ripped it open and would write test answers on it then erase it after exams for reuse. 960

10.

Text - ScarthMoonblane • 1y College physics, girl with a really intricate tattoo on her leg wrote formulas in between the tattoo lines. Even looking closely you couldn't tell unless you knew what you were looking for. You could tell it was test day because she wore shorts. 56.1k ...

11.

Text - alave • 1y 1 Award High school kids recreated a Snapple label where the nutrition panel on the back had all the answers, formulas, etc. only got caught because l'd never seen the flavor before and wanted to see how much sugar was in it. 21.8k ...

12.

Text - Macabalony • 1y I was a TA for anatomy and physiology. The professor would ask for me to sit in on finals to prevent cheating. One kid came in with a vitamin water. No worries. Half way through the test the professor noticed they kept turning the bottle and squinting. This goes on for another twenty minutes. Professor goes up. Grabs the vitamin water bottle and rips off the label. It had a crib sheet written. On the back. The students had gone to the effort to make a fake vitamin water bo

13.

Text - clitclamchowder • 1y I passed a pop quiz in high school by looking across the room and focusing on the top of the smart girls' pencil and trying to decipher if she wrote A B C or D after the teacher asked each question. It actually turned out more successful than I thought it would. Edit: spelling- hey I mentioned how I cheated on a quiz, what did you expect? ;) Also, I'm all about academic integrity when it comes to important higher education when relative to your field of work but I don

14.

Text - Chaps_and_salsa • 1y I was grading a written assignment that had a 1000 word count minimum and one particular paper just felt really short to me despite word telling me it was roughly 1100 words long. On a hunch I hit CTRL-A and sure enough after the paper concluded there was a lot of white nonsense text on a white background. 25.8k ...

15.

Text - gmacWV • 1y 3 1 Award There was a class that allowed you to bring one sheet of handwritten notes to exams. I knew a guy that created a font of his own handwriting and used to print the entire study guide onto a piece of notebook paper, front and back. He even set the font color to pencil grey and managed to get the margins and spacing exactly right to look like it'd been handwritten. 42.5k ...

16.

Text - 1Cinnamonster • ly Not a teacher but one of my friends in high school wrote all the physics equations we needed to know in really tiny font on jolly rancher wrappers. 1.8k ...

17.

Text - Wooshmeister55 • ly I had summaries of chemistry and a load of math formulas on my graphic calculator (ti-83 ) and i had a backup on a thumb drive so that i could put it back after a mandatory reset 9.1k ...

18.

Text - MayUseTheFuckWord • 1y Stretch a rubber band around a text book, write whatever you want on it, then when you take it off the textbook, it'll just look like scribble until you stretch it to see what's written. Spanish conjugations drove me to do some incredibly unethical things. 22.2k ...

19.

Text - [deleted] • 1y Writing down math formulas and putting them in the instructions insert of the calculator. More recently, kids will put the answers on their smart watches. It's to the point where I make all students removes their watches and place them on the classroom counter before the test starts. 12.6k ...

20.

Text - Back2Bach • 1y During a keyboard harmony lab exam (a room with 28 keyboards), one devious student had previously recorded another student's perfect performance of the exam piece on MIDI <in-out-through>. The cheater played the recorded piece on MIDI, but used all the right hand motions on his keyboard at the back of the room to try to fool me that he was actually playing it in real time. Unfortunately for him, the student he recorded happened to be my piano student, and I recognized the d

21.

Text - Kari_Renea • 1y I teach Kindergarten. They just blatantly copy off each other right in front of me and don't understand the concept of "cheating". They think they are helping and that I am mean when I tell them not to. 619 ...

22.

Text - echelon_01 • 1y During a spelling test: "Miss, how do you spell piano?" The spelling word was piano. Teacher went on autopilot and started spelling the word. 26.0k ...

23.

Text - Cont4x • 1y As a student, I remember when my entire year level was accused of cheating, as the test results came back consistently high. What the teachers failed to realise, was that some of the answers were actually hidden in other questions. So if you got stuck on one question, you could find the answer later on in another question. An example would be (this was a japanese language test) "What does_ word mean" and later on, a question would use that word in context, so you would underst

24.

Text - JustAbel • 1y Printing a fake waterbottle label with test information on it. 4.7k

25.

Text - 3 6 Awards I'm a high school teacher, but this story is about my own high school math teacher playing us and "cheating." It was an honors algebra/geometry class, and it was well known that Mr D re-used the same questions every year, just changed the numbers. He made a big deal about making sure we all gave our exam papers back to him after we had looked at our scores and gone over everything together to prevent cheating for the next year. Well, of course, some of my classmates got their h

26.

Text - jonnyg112 · 1y My sister in law is a teaching assistant at her kids school. Her youngest daughter (My niece) was 7 at the time. She stole the test the night before, pretended it was homework and had her mom "help her with her homework" then sneaked the answers in to the test. One of the other kids caught her, let the teacher know and my SIL, who was overseeing test conditions, died inside when she realised it was the homework sheet that she'd filled out. 23.6k ...

27.

Text - jondfox90 • 1y I used my programmable calculator to write a program for every possible math/physics question that gave me every step of the problem solving sequence along the way. They always said show your work... 8.5k ...

28.

Text - RaidenHUN • 1y In some test on University we had the questions projected on the white table/wall, so whole class had the same test and we had multiple choice "A, B, C, D, E". So with the whole year we agreed that for each of these letters we should pair with a sign of holding the pen: if it's A - point your pen forward, B? point it to the right, C - to back, D - to the left and E - to upwards AND if you dont know the answer just put down your pen. So we just had to carefully look around f

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment