Friday, June 12, 2020

People's Weirdest Family Tics


Someone on AskReddit got a thread going about their family's weirdest tics. It can be easy to forget or not realize altogether just how strange our behavior is, outside the accepting confines of home. Whether it's yawning so loud that people think you're a literal coyote, or swearing after sneezing, it's funny to realize just how strange our behavior is to the rest of the outside world, when family isn't around. 

1.

Text - Veritas3333 • 10h My mom is a yawn-yeller. When she yawns, you can hear it from anywhere in the house. One time my sister had a friend over, and we were in the basement. My mom yawned upstairs, and my sister's friend asked "was that a coyote?"

2.

Text - Billie_needs_a_Mop • 11h .That my mother would scream and yell every single night in her sleep. I legit thought it was a normal thing "My Mom has nightmares!" Doesn't yours?

3.

Text - AntebellumEm • 11h Use assorted German words in casual conversation... which as a child I assumed were English until I got confused stares from friends. My family has been in the US since 1902.

4.

Text - Tsionich • 9h Saying "Goddammit" after sneezing. That was an interesting day in first grade.

5.

Text - Morolan • 11h 1 Award Sleep after the meal during holiday get-togethers. Just the men, the women exchanged gifts.We would all go into the living room and watch football and kinda doze. No big deal. Did this once at my girlfriend's family Christmas and evidently I embarrassed her or maybe offended someone. Either way I was the only one asleep while everyone else was energetic and conversing lively with family. I was woken up by girlfriend with an angry tone asking why I was asleep during t

6.

Text - PumpkinPatch404 • 9h Flush the toilet after peeing. We tried to save water, so we basically peed until someone took a dump. Then one day I went to a family friends' house and freaked everyone out because I didn't flush.

7.

Text - Lauren12269 • 9h My mom made up words. I didn't know this until I was an adult, out in the world saying fake words and having no idea. Wankyjawed- means when you been laying or sitting down and your pants need to be adjusted. Goo goo baby- small baby that still makes cooing sounds and probably still wears a diaper. Just the memorable one, there are so many.

8.

Cheezburger Image 9499527936

9.

Text - frog_without_a_cause • 12h Smoking indoors. I didn't do it, but my gf at the time had a veritable panic attack when we had my mother over for dinner. It was the first and only time my mother came to visit.

10.

Text - coffeecupsmuggler • 11h My dad forces us to say I love you. I say I love you quite forcefully now and I don't mean to. When people say they love me, and they aren't my family, I stutter and kinda go blank. I think, "SHIT WHAT DO I SAY? HOW DO I SAY IT WITHOUT IT BEING FORCED?

11.

Text - SlytherinAhri • 10h My mom and I have had this inside joke where we go "don't talk to me" or "don't even look at me" in response to stupid shit. I don't remember how or when it started, but l've been doing it since I was a wee kid. I didn't realize how odd it was until I said "fine, don't talk to me then" in response to my mom telling meI couldn't get a video game I asked for and a woman in the aisle with us got offended. She pulled my mom aside and told her I don't need to be talking to

12.

Text - BloodSpades • 8h Respond to sneezes with a sarcastic, "You are NOT blessed!" I got a LOT of weird looks in school from my teachers. I about killed a distant family member from a surprised laughing fit my response sent him into though. Lol? He was actually kind of impressed we had that sense of humor at our young age...

13.

Text - IgTheDinosaur • 10h It seems far more common for parents to be very overtly cautious/controlling of their kids activities. Not that my parents let us have free reign but they trusted my brothers and I to walk around the neighborhood (usually in big groups). Bedtimes weren't really enforced after like age 10, and never on weekends. Ironically later I was pretty often the "safe" friend to the more cautious parents, because I turned out REAL boring. I was probably a bit of a special case bec

14.

Text - medicff • 10h To me it was normal to have parents run out in the middle of anything for fire dept calls. It didn't worry me too much until I saw a big ass farm propane tank explode as my dad went driving up towards the fire. Some of my friends asked if I was concerned about them getting hurt/killed while out on a fire call but it never occurred to me to worry about that because they've usually always came home. My dad ended up in hospital a couple times but l've never worried about that.

15.

Text - TheDrawingSparrow • 10h Use applesauce as a condiment for hotdogs.

16.

Text - i-keep-it-100 • 11h Eat at our computer desks rather than the dining room table.

17.

Text - MagicCoffeeBeanSpaz • 10h My family eats ice cream out of glass cups. It drives my husband insane. Edit: glass drinking cups, sometimes plastic

18.

Text - Clifton3rds • 11h Stealing food from each others plate at dinner time. Once we had finished our meal, you would pick at the slowest ones (usually Mums). Wasn't until I did it at my now-wifes house that I learnt no one else did this.

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment