Monday, January 25, 2021

Student Misses Appointment By Seconds, Dumb Loophole Works


Navigating a bureaucracy can be stressful and brimming with pointlessness, especially when dealing with someone who's in a position to make dubious claims about databases and such. Seeing a stupid opportunity, this person used the rules to get themselves in the door. Here are some more great, stupid loopholes that worked.

1.

Font - O r/MaliciousCompliance - Posted by u/theoryofrelativetea 2 days ago A 3 & 00 19 17 3 21 O 810 My appointment was cancelled for being 5 minutes late? I guess I have to reschedule. oc M This happened about 4 years ago, when I got a summer job at my university. The job was working for professors that I had worked with before, and they asked me last-minute to teach a summer workshop to 9th and 10th graders.

2.

Font - So with less than 2 weeks before the camp starts I have a bunch of paperwork to do first, including "clearances" that say I can work with kids. One of these is an official FBI check for which they need my fingerprints. Well, I needed to do the physical fingerprinting right away in order to get the result in time - luckily I was able to book a fingerprinting appointment for that Friday (booked 24 hours in advance, as required) which would be just barely enough time to get the result. That

3.

Font - I speak to the security/cop behind bulletproof glass inside and I learn the appt was cancelled after he checks my confirmation number. Apparently the they are automatically cancelled if you're not checked in within 5 minutes. Obviously this is outrageous, but I'm usually a patient guy: I ask if I can book a new appointment. That's no good since it would have to be Monday or later. So I grab a coffee from across the street and return to sit inside the police station, to try and solve this

4.

Font - But here's what really pushed me over the edge. While I'm sitting there, at this point 30 minutes past my appointment time, someone else comes in for fingerprints. She shows up 5 minutes early. They take her in immediately, and she's out BEFORE her appointment was even scheduled to begin. The entire thing took her about 2 minutes. I point out to the cop behind the glass (as politely as I can) that CLEARLY someone could see me RIGHT NOW because her appointment is already over. Why can't I

5.

Font - That's when the idea comes to me and I confirm with him that showing up early is not a problem, because they would have my appt and registration info in the system. You see where I'm going with this. So I quietly sit back down and take out my phone. About 10 minutes later, I calmly approach him again and say "Hello, I have a new appointment to be fingerprinted. I'm about 72 hours early." I have never seen such an exasperated sigh in my life. But he checked my new confirmation number and e

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment