Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Angry Systems Manager Learns He Engineered Own Nightmare


We've all lost some work to the fates of computer junk, but usually we have the benefit of blaming the system we're using. We get to say "damn this program, I thought I had that crap saved but it's done screwed me over again!" But not this time. IT gets some characters, like this guy who thought he knew better than IT but learned otherwise.

1.

Font - r/talesfromtechsupport - Posted by u/DevilRenegade Wannabe-BOFH 1 day ago 2 2 e 35 "What do you mean we told you to stop the backups??!" Long So a bit of background first. I used to be a shift team lead for a hosted outsourcing company that provided our own software on AS400 based systems to various financial institutions. Some of these companies were very small and only had a single box. Some were larger and had a pair of boxes (usually one serving as the live environment and one as the

2.

Font - Some did all their own development, others paid us to do their dev and bugfixing work for them. One of the most important things we handled in the NOC was physical backups. Each box had it's own backup schedule, where it would back up to IBM Ultrium tapes. Each morning, one of our tasks was to remove the tape from the previous night's backup, scan the barcode and send them offsite to our secure storage facility. Once that was done we'd make sure that the scratch tape for the next schedule

3.

Font - I wasn't there when all of this happened but it was all included and documented on the shift handover report when our team took over, so we knew we didn't have to load tapes for this particular box until Friday. About 8 months later, we received a P1 ticket in the NOC from one of their developers, this happened on a Thursday afternoon (I'm sure you can see where this is going by now). "Help! Library ABC1234 on the test system was just accidentally deleted. Please can this be restored from

4.

Font - Font - "No! That's not good enough, if that's the most recent backup you have that means we've lost almost a week's worth of critical work. I need to speak to your supervisor immediately!" I duly took over the call. "Your colleague has just informed me that you've stopped backing up this system daily! This is unacceptable." "As I heard my colleague explain, the backup schedules are decided by your company, and as this was a test system as opposed to a live environment, the decision was ta

5.

Font - Font - "I'll do that, you haven't heard the last of this!" About half an hour later, another one of my guys gets a call asking to be put straight through to me. "Yes, this is John Smith, the Systems Manager from Company XYZ. I've just had an interesting conversation with one of my developers stating that you've stopped doing our backups that we're paying you to perform. Just for your information this call is being recorded and I've got a conference call with our solicitors in 15 minutes w

6.

Font - Font - Wow, talk about aggressive. I explain to the guy that 8 months ago, someone at their company submitted a change request that we reduce the backup frequency on this system from daily to weekly, and this was carried out as requested. "Well that's just insane. Nobody here would have done that. I need the name of the person who submitted the request as well as the person on your side who actioned the request without verifying that the request was received from an authorised member of o

7.

Font - "You've got two John Smiths, both working as Systems Managers? Does that not get confusing?" "No, erm. I don't recall asking you to do this." "Well we have the email saved to the original ticket, along with several emails back and forth where we asked you to clarify a couple of points, and also a scanned copy of the signed change form where you've written your name and signature. Did you want me to forward these over for your solicitors? Although I suspect you might already have copies of

8.

Font - "Erm, no that's fine thanks. I'll let the developers know that you can't recover the file." "That'd be great thanks, is there anything else I can help you with today Mr Smith?" *click. Printed off the ticket and dug out a copy of the call recording to forward around to the team, and I added this to my training guides for new hires as an example of why documenting everything is critical. Always remember rules 1 through 10 of tech support. Cover your arse and document everything!

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment